This homemade chocolate covered cherries recipes uses frozen maraschino cherries in a lightly sweet cream that is then dipped in melted chocolate. It’s a bite of cherry perfection!
In 7th grade, my then best friend, bought me a box of chocolate covered cherries for Christmas.
I only had to shake the box to know what treat she had wrapped in the Christmas tree lined paper. I ripped it open, which made her mad since I was supposed to wait for the 25th, and gulped down three in a row.
As soon as I got home, my father confiscated my chocolate covered cherries and that was the end of that gift.
When I started working on this recipe, I did not want to replicate the syrup in the store-bought ones that I used to love.
First, that is a ton of sugar that no one needs to eat. I ended up with a delicious creamy consistency that just rocked my socks off.
Can I make these chocolate covered cherries vegan?
Yes, you can but I made this using the Ghirardelli 60% Dark Chocolate Chips and it was a cake walk compared to when I used the Enjoy Life brand.
The Enjoy Life brand just got super sticky and it was tough to coat the cherries. You could try tweaking it with coconut oil to make the process a little easier.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- First, place 14 frozen maraschino cherries in the silicone ice cube tray. Set aside.
- Next, place 20 cherries, the coconut oil, honey, sea salt, vanilla and honey in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- In the pan, mash the cherries with a potato masher to help break them up.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then add in the tapioca flour. Cook for one minute. Break out your stick blender or pour the mixture unto your blender and pulse to for 1 minute or until the filling is completely smooth and blended.
- Pour the filling over the cherries in the ice cube tray.
- Place in your freezer for 8 hours.
- Remove the frozen cherry filling from the tray and set back in the freezer until you are ready to coat them.
- In a saucepan and 1 cup of the dark chocolate chips and melt the chocolate. Remove from the heat and then drop the cherry bites in, one at a time, and coat with the chocolate on all sides. TIP: The chocolate will start to firm up after a few cherries have been coated. Set the pan back on the stove top and add more chocolate chips until it is a smooth, liquidy consistency and then let cool for 30 seconds before you continue the process. You will go through the whole bag of chips.
- Set on a piece of parchment paper and when complete, move them to the fridge.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 345 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 43mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 38g Protein: 4g