October 11, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly
7K Shares

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream that is also vegan

I remember the first time I tried pumpkin.  I was sixteen, a mess of hormones and indignation, that  my mother would drag me to another holiday meal when I wanted nothing more than to stay home and finish my book.

Anyhow,  we went to my aunt’s house and, well, the woman cannot cook.  Everything was store bought and my first taste of pumpkin was a flimsy tinned version that was awful.  I ended up eating more whipped cream than pumpkin to make it palatable.  Because of this experience, any pumpkin recipes have to be amazing for me to eat them.  I’m not settling for a dish that I will not eat in one sitting.

how to make date paste from scratch for Paleo pumpkin ice cream

There are a couple of things that I love about this Paleo Pumpkin Ice Cream recipe: 1) it reminds me of pumpkin cheesecake  and 2) the dates just give it an amazing warm, sweet finish.

You can use date syrup if you have access to it.  You’ll have to adjust the amount you use in your recipe so start with 1/2 cup and then taste to keep it from being too sweet for you.

paleo pumpkin ice cream vegan

Paleo Pumpkin Ice Cream

Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes

Date Paste

Ice Cream

1. To make the date paste, combine the dates, cinnamon and water in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Once it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. You might have to add more water during this process.
  3. Remove from the stove and let cool. Place all the dates and remaining liquid (there should be a small amount) in your blender or food processor and blend until you have a paste.
  4. In the blender add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  5. Add the ice cream mix to your ice cream maker and churn for 20 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!

easy paleo pumpkin ice cream

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

• October 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

Of all of the pumpkin things I like, I don’t think I’ve ever tried ice cream…and this looks a million times better with coconut milk.

• allison
    October 12, 2013 at 4:48 am

Is there an ice cream maker you recommend?

• October 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that I got for a steal at Marshall’s! I love it!

• October 12, 2013 at 6:26 am

I thought I had put my ice cream maker away until next summer, but I think I might have to dig it out for this recipe. 🙂

• October 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

I am so trying this recipe! It hadn’t even occurred to me to make pumpkin ice cream.

• Shannon
    October 12, 2013 at 8:35 am

My mom was JUST telling me that she made pumpkin ice cream with coconut milk but used white sugar and asked what i would suggest and I said, “probably dates but I’d have to think about it” and then I saw this… great timing!

• October 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’m usually a straight up vanilla girl when it comes to ice cream but I bet this tastes delicious.

• October 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm

this looks SO yummy! I am digging out my ice cream maker to give it a whirl!

• October 13, 2013 at 6:41 am

oh my, I know someone who would love this recipe!

• October 13, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love pumpkin everything but have never tried ice cream! I need to get on that. And I’m starting with this recipe! 🙂 As soon as I make room in my freezer, I’m going to try this with cream.

It looks AMAZING and I love that first picture! It looks like gelato. 😀

• October 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm

You’re so right. Pumpkin dishes vary widely! I’ve had some awful ones and some that were incredibly delicious! Your ice cream looks swoonworthy! Or should I say spoonworthy! Yum!

• October 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm

This looks delish!! I bet it’s super creamy too!! mmm

• October 14, 2013 at 7:02 am

It doesn’t take much convincing for me to eat anything with pumpkin in it but you know, I’ve never had pumpkin in ice cream. Yes please with three or four scoops!

• October 14, 2013 at 7:15 am

I wish I liked pumpkin flavor more because this sounds and looks so good. I’m sure I would like it but only a couple of bites then I get sick of the pumpkin flavor… unless it’s pumpkin pie, I could eat that all day, lol

• October 14, 2013 at 10:31 am

This sounds delicious. I would love to make it, however, I am not a big fan of coconut milk ice cream. Is there another non-dairy substitute that would work? The rest of the ingredients sound incredible!

• melissa
      October 26, 2013 at 2:05 am

Almond milk would work great. Hemp milk would even work, if you like it.

• October 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

You do need to make sure there is enough fat in the milk or it won’t form a nine cream 🙂

• October 16, 2013 at 6:37 am

I’m making the date paste now! Do I add the cinnamon with the water or add it after it’s done boiling? Thanks! 🙂

• October 16, 2013 at 7:05 am

I would add it when you start the whole process 🙂

• October 16, 2013 at 6:51 am

Sorry, another question! Am I supposed to cover the pan while it’s simmering? 25 minutes in and the water is almost gone (it’s just simmering, not boiling) I guess I’ll add a little more water once it’s all gone and cover. 🙂

• October 16, 2013 at 7:04 am

Hrmm. .. I didn’t cover it but I like that you’re adding more water. You just want to get those dates broken down so they’re soft when you whiz them up in your blender or food processor.

• October 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

This is SO good! Eating some right now. 🙂 I did half cream, half whole milk. I was trying to figure out why mine is almost as dark brown as the date paste and I just realized it might be because of the cream / milk. They are white but coconut milk is freakishly white. 😉 So maybe that’s it! Actually, that probably doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, thanks so much for the recipe! I absolutely love that it’s date sweetened. The first healthy ice cream I’ve ever liked!

And I’m SO happy that I made it so I get to rate it. I hate it when people rate my recipes not so generously when they haven’t even tried it.

• October 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

Thanks so much hun! Hrrm. . . how much date paste did you have? I had one cup when all was said and done? Perhaps there was a bit more in your batch?

• Maggie K
    October 27, 2013 at 7:48 am

I love pumpkin and you are giving me so many ideas to try out! I haven’t been a fan of ice cream in the last couple of years but ever since I tried banana ice cream(made of frozen banana, mixed with cinnamon and a tad of maple syrup) I just want more and more healthy icy deliciousness!

• SuSana
    November 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hello 🙂
    What is the ingredient that you combine with the cinnamon and water, that you call ‘dates’? Can you specify please, in other words? Because I’m from Portugal, and I don’t know what it is! Thanks! Kisses (:

• Krista
    September 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

AIP??? What does that stand for please? I’m looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• September 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hi Krista – it refers tot he paleo autoimmune protocol. You have to restrict certain foods in the diet – dairy, nuts/seeds, nightshades, and more.