I remember the first time I tried pumpkin. I was sixteen, a mess of hormones and indignation, that my mother would drag me to another holiday meal when I wanted nothing more than to stay home and finish my book.
Anyhow, we went to my aunt’s house and, well, the woman cannot cook. Everything was store bought and my first taste of pumpkin was a flimsy tinned version that was awful. I ended up eating more whipped cream than pumpkin to make it palatable. Because of this experience, any pumpkin recipes have to be amazing for me to eat them. I’m not settling for a dish that I will not eat in one sitting.
There are a couple of things that I love about this Paleo Pumpkin Ice Cream recipe: 1) it reminds me of pumpkin cheesecake and 2) the dates just give it an amazing warm, sweet finish.
You can use date syrup if you have access to it. You’ll have to adjust the amount you use in your recipe so start with 1/2 cup and then taste to keep it from being too sweet for you.
Paleo Pumpkin Ice CreamPrint
- 1/2 lb Deglet dates
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon power
- To make the date paste, combine the dates, cinnamon and water in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. You might have to add more water during this process.
- Remove from the stove and let cool. Place all the dates and remaining liquid (there should be a small amount) in your blender or food processor and blend until you have a paste.
- In the blender add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add the ice cream mix to your ice cream maker and churn for 20 minutes.
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website