This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Obesity is a serious disease that impacts roughly 40% of the U.S. adult population — approximately 93 million people. The health risks of those who are obese involve heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and even certain types of cancer. Thankfully, by adhering to a strict and healthy diet, it’s entirely possible to at least fight back against many of these health concerns and get back to a healthy weight.
The Mediterranean Diet Can Boost Your Immune System
The Mediterranean diet, for instance, is great for protecting against type 2 diabetes and improving glycemic control. This diet offers a beneficial fatty acid profile, which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in monounsaturated fatty acids, with a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid ratio. All that might sound a little confusing, but fear not — the Mediterranean diet involves lots of healthy and delicious foods.
This diet is also a popular option among many seniors, as it benefits the immune system and doesn’t cause the sluggishness common on some other fad diets. Of course, as with any diet, it’s important to be mindful of sudden changes in your physical health.
About 65% of Americans age 60 and above experience dizziness or loss of balance, and if issues like these become more common after a sudden change in diet, then don’t hesitate to talk to your health care provider.
Delicious Foods & Recipes You Can Enjoy While On The Mediterranean Diet
Here are all the foods you can eat while adhering to the Mediterranean diet:
- Fruits — Stone fruits, berries, bananas, citrus, and so much more fruit options are perfect for Mediterranean meals.
- Vegetables — Mediterranean dishes involve plenty of veggies and you can have as many different kinds and as much as you want!
- Eggs — Eggs are a great source of protein, especially for dieters who are trying to strictly eat vegetarian Mediterranean options.
- Olive Oils — Just about every Mediterranean dish is lathered in healthy and tasty olive oil.
- Whole Grains — Mediterranean grains like couscous and bulgur are great, but traditional grains like rice, pasta, and bread are acceptable, too. For a filling meal, combine healthy grains like naan or pita bread with lean proteins such as lamb or grilled chicken.
- Poultry — If you love chicken, turkey, etc., you don’t have to give up those foods while adhering to this popular diet.
- Herbs and spices — There are so many herbs and spices involved with these meals, including sage, parsley, rosemary, dill, basil, thyme, and more!
If you’re looking for a diet that will let you continue to enjoy delicious, savory foods, then there are a ton of healthy options with this diet. You can enjoy seafood, baked falafel, grilled lamb chops, Greek salad, eggplant, and so much more.
If you’ve been looking for a way to get much healthier without sacrificing the quality of your meals — the Mediterranean diet might be perfect for you to try. Good luck with your diet and enjoy as much as you can!