This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 6, 2020
The perfect takeout creation of crispy fried chicken covered in a keto sweet and sour sauce. Make two batches of this keto sweet and sour chicken because it’s that good!
Now that I’ve fully embraced the Keto lifestyle, I seriously realize how hard it is to enjoy some of my favorite restaurant foods.
My family loves to go to Schezwan Kitchen and trust me, I’ve eating my fill of their amazing gluten-free sweet and sour chicken, but now, like that place is pretty off limits for me.
I really wanted to be able to enjoy a keto sweet and sour sauce that tasted like the restuarant so I was super happy to discover this recipe.
I usually go to my bag of tricks when eating out and here are some ways that I general am able to enjoy a meal in a restaurant with my family:
Tips for Eating Out on the Keto Diet
- Eat green food, but be sure to ask for low-carb vegetables such as mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and Most leafy greens are low-carb.
- Ensure that you avoid breaded meat; eat grilled meat.
- Ask for low-carb fruits such as watermelon, strawberries, and Be sure to avoid the high-carb fruits such as bananas, mango, cherries, and grapes.
- Don’t go for the sugary, high-carb salad dressings that are so popular in restaurants. Also note that many light dressings add carbs to add more flavor, so you are often better off eating full-fat dressings.
- Watch out for sauces and condiments. Some include mostly fats while others are full of carbs. When in doubt, ask for the sauce to be left off or placed on the side.
- Going to an Italian restaurant? Create your own meal by order two sides of cooked veggies and ask for a bowl of spaghetti sauce. You can pour the sauce over the veggies, add parmesan cheese and enjoy.
- To add more fat to your meal, so you feel satisfied, ask for extra butter and melt it onto your steamed vegetables or meat.
- Most places are good about letting you substitute items. So if you order an entrée, ask to substitute the potato, rice or pasta for a side of their green vegetable of the day.
However there is nothing on the menu, sans water, that I can eat without dealing with cornstarch and tons of carbs at a Chinese/Schezwan restaurant.
Enter this amazing Keto Sweet and Sour chicken recipe from the cookbook Keto Restaurant Favorites by Maria Emmerich and I’m one happy mama. The Keto Sweet and Sour Sauce is amazing!
You know you need this cookbook so buy it today
What you’ll need for this Recipe:
- Tomato paste
- Chicken bone broth
- Coconut vinegar
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Ginger, fresh grated
- Guar gum, (optional)
How to Make This Recipe:
Keto Sweet and Sour Sauce – Use only 1/4 Cup for the recipe
Place the tomato paste, broth, sweetener, vinegar, lime juice (it is better to use a juicer for citruses), fish sauce, salt, garlic powder and ginger in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
Remove from the heat and let cool. Sift in the guar gum, if using, and whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce into a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
Keto Crispy Fried Chicken (low carb)
Heat the oil in a 4-inch-deep (or deeper) cast-iron skillet over medium heat at 350 degrees. The oil should be 1 inch deep, add more if needed.
Bread the chicken: Crack the eggs into a shallow baking dish and beat lightly with a fork. In another shallow baking dish, combine the powdered Parmesan and pepper.
Dip a chicken nugget into the eggs, then the cheese mixture. Coat well.
When the oil is hot, fry the nuggets in batches for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
Baste the fried chicken nuggets with the sauce. Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with scallions, if desired
If you like this Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken
Crispy friend chicken bites smothered in low carb sweet and sour sauce that is sugar-free perfection.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 7 oz tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/3 cup swerve
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum, (optional)
- 1 cup coconut oil, for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups powdered parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- scallions, slices, for garnish
Keto Sweet and Sour Sauce - Use only 1/4 Cup for the recipe
- Place the tomato paste, broth, sweetener, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, salt, garlic powder and ginger in a medium-zied saucepan over medium heat. Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking. Remove from the heat and let cool. Sift in the guar gum, if using, and whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce into a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a 4-inch-deep (or deeper) cast-iron skillet over medium heat at 350 degrees. The oil should be 1 inch deep, add more if needed.
- Bread the chicken: Crack the eggs into a shallow baking dish and beat lightly with a fork. In another shallow baking dish, combine the powdered Parmesan and pepper. Dip a chicken nugget into the eggs, then the cheese mixture. Coat well.
- When the oil is hot, fry the nuggets in batches for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Baste the fried chicken nuggets with the sauce. Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with scallions, if desired
Nutritional Info per serving:
521 calories, 36 g fat, 45g protein, 8g carbs, 4g fiber
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 835mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g
Man…. that looks fantastic! Need to give that a whirl!
My sister went keto several months ago, and she has lost more than 70 pounds. I’ve been following a paleo diet for quite awhile now, but the keto lifestyle is something I’m seriously wanting to get started on full time. I could certainly stand to lose another 10 pounds, but really what I’m after is to feel better. I have MS, so any reduction in pain and inflammation, plus a boost in energy, would be wonderful at this point,
I just went out and bought Maria Emmerich’s cookbook a, Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking at Costco a month ago. So far I’ve tried a couple of her recipes, and they are really good. I would love to have this cookbook by her, though. I really miss Asian recipes like this, as well as General Tso’s Chicken, Tom Ka Gai, Pho and so many other dishes.
Thank you, Kelly, for keeping your followers up on recipes, giveaways, webinars and your kindness. You have been wonderful! xoxo
Aw, thanks Sherri <3 I have 3 more cookbooks to giveaway!
This recipe looks super delicious and flavorful.
My mom would love this!
This sounds really tasty. I’ve been eating Keto for about 6 months and it’s life-changing. I’m always on the lookout for good new keto recipes.
this chicken recipe looks tasty
Looks and sounds very delicious
I’m not the biggest Asian food fan but I know Maria has great recipes and I’d love to own this book with these kinds of fun foods!
This is my favorite to eat in a Chinese restaurant. I am sure this recipe won’t leave me feeling yucky after I eat it!
I would love to try this recipe.
I have been living a fairly low carb lifestyle for the last few years but have not gone full blown keto yet. I would love to have this cookbook to give me some new ideas and it would be much easier to live the keto lifestyle if I were making things that the whole family would enjoy without getting bored. Thank you so much for the chance to win this book!
Sounds yummy! I’m not familiar with Swerve. Is it easy on the tummy?
This looks wonderful!
This recipe looks amazing! I love trying out new recipes on my hubby and will have to try this 🙂
This recipe looks crazy good and i can’t wait to try it. I usually start out great with Keto and then lose interest due to the boredom factor, but this looks so good. I’d love the cookbook!
This looks like a really delicious dish! I haven’t eaten asian dishes very often since eating low carb because it makes me miss having them with rice. But I think I would enjoy this chicken own its own without the rice!
The healthy recipe looks delicious.
Been contemplating going keto…
Note to self:
when kids go to bed and you check in on the blogs you read…
DO NOT look at anything that shows food. It is completely food porn to me. Meaning I want to get up and make that dish right now!
My wife would love to have the cool and tasty recipes in Keto Restaurant Favorites to use everyday.
A fascinating Keto Restaurant Favorites, my wife would enjoy using, and it would be an amazing gift.
My lady friend likes good food, and Keto Restaurant Favorites would be just marvelous to have and great for all occasions.
I really like great eats, and Keto Restaurant Favorites would be wonderful to use all of the time.
The captivating Keto Restaurant Favorites would be a fabulous cookbbook for my girlfriend to use, and it would be nice to have.
The awesome Keto Restaurant Favorites would be just right, for the day and and my wife.
Could you bake the chicken instead of frying?
You can try, it might not get as crispy.
How many carbs?
521 calories, 36 g fat, 45g protein, 8g carbs, 4g fiber
Followed recipe, till I got down to the last step. Baste the nuggets with the sauce. Are you meaning toss or cover with sauce and put in oven?
I’m a novice cook.
cover with sauce hun
How can it be 8 carbs over Rice??? I’m confused?
The rice is cauliflower rice hun so depending on serving sizes it can be zero carb.
This recipe seems to be incredible, I’ll do it today, congratulations and thanks for the recipe!
I hope you enjoy it Celeste!
You lost all credibility when you said watermelon is low carb.
One half-cup of diced watermelon contains 5.5g of carbs. It’s not zero carb.
I’m ashamed to say that I’ve never had keto sweet and sour chicken! This recipe looks great though so hopefully that will change! Thanks for posting it, Kelly!
Enjoy it Jill!
Hi a quick question on the nutrition info. It’s in two different places and is different. In your Notes at the bottom of the recipe, it says 8 carbs, 4g fiber, which would be 4 net carbs. Then scroll down a little and it says Nutrition Information. There it says it’s 10 carbs with 1 gram of fiber. Which one is correct? And this is just for the chicken and sauce, no cauliflower rice, correct? Thank you!
I would follow the info in the notes.
Thanks for this recipe! I was too lazy to bread and fry the chicken. Just cut up some chicken thighs salt pepper and a little garlic powder and cooked them till done. Made the sauce with a couple small changes and used a third of it for the chicken. It was really great I really appreciate it. Froze the other two parts for future dinner ❤️
Thanks for the feedback and I do the same thing when I don’t want to do all the frying!