January 28, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo garlic bread

This week blew by so fast.  We accepted an offer on our house and went into full house hunting mode.  This is in addition to all of us fighting off a cold and then me hurting my foot.  Gah.  I woke up Saturday and realized I hadn’t even thought of what to make for my recipe on Monday.

At first I was thinking calzone but then I was pinched for time since we decided to make an offer on a house and I thought. Ok, garlic bread time. Garlic has amazing health benefits and it makes everything taste amazing.

Now, I have shown this recipe in a loaf format but I’m going to recommend that you make rolls.  Seriously, if you make it in to a loaf the center will be very soft and squishy and it will take FOREVER to bake.   I put this in the oven for over 1 hour  and 30 minutes and it still needed more time.  This is the first time I tried it  as a  loaf and it just did not work.

So, make rolls and roll them into 1″ balls.  You will get rolls that are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  The neat thing about this dough is that you can actually knead it.

paleo garlic bread

I have had numerous people try this recipe and it has been hit or miss.  Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly.  Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it work( I recommend 1/4 cup at a time until you get a dough).  Some need to use a food processor or kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.

There are a lot of factors that go into baking:  1) your oven 2) your altitude and humidity  and possibly even the flour you are using.  I only use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour  in all of my baking.    I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe and you will have to watch the video to make sure your dough looks similar to what I have shown.  I know this is my pretzel recipe but it’s the recipe is very similar.

paleo garlic bread

Paleo Garlic Bread

Course: Paleo bread
Total Time: 1 hour

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small pan combine the olive oil, water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
  3. Remove from heat and add in the garlic and then the tapioca flour.
  4. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 5 minutes.
  5. Add in the in Italian seasoning and egg.
  6. Mix in the coconut flour and then knead the dough for 1 minute.
  7. Pinch a 1" piece of dough and roll it into a ball.
  8. Place the roll on a greased baking sheet. Repeat.
  9. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes

paleo garlic bread© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• January 28, 2013 at 11:04 am

That looks yummy, congrats on the offer on the house, and my house is full of the cold bugs too.

• January 28, 2013 at 11:35 am

This looks so good, I am still trying to find a great paleo bread recipe, definitely going to give this one a try

• January 28, 2013 at 11:41 am

Yay!! I’m so excited that you’re house has sold!!

The bread looks awesome 🙂 You’ve just given me a great idea to make a yummy Italian stew for dinner this week, with some of your bread on the side! I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂

Happy house hunting!!

• January 28, 2013 at 12:21 pm

That looks great!

• Jenny @ MyLittleMe
    January 28, 2013 at 1:04 pm

That looks awesome! Where do you get your tapioca flour? I’ve not used it yet.

• January 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I get mine from the grocery store in my natural food section. Bob’s Red Mill makes it. You can also grab it from Amazon 🙂

• Tish
        October 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm

What do you eat with the bread or rolls that is a paleo dish?

• October 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hi Tish 🙂 You can make lots of stuff – soup, salad, you can make spaghetti with zucchini noodles. Also, you can make mini sandwiches with this.

• Helene Last
        January 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I just made these. They tasted very good to me. I had to use arrowroot as that’s what I had and I read the arrowroot and tapioca are the same things. My inch inch balls stayed at one inch balls and nothing spread. I will try to make these again but make them larger so that I can have a roll.

• Brenna
        May 4, 2016 at 9:20 pm

What do you recommend to use in place of the tapioca flour? I have an allergy to tapioca starch and flour. Do you think quinoa flour would be an ok alternative?

• June 19, 2016 at 2:56 pm

No, quinoa flour does not have enough starch for this to work. Can you do arrowroot?

• Paulette
      February 5, 2015 at 9:52 am

I have gotten mine at a great deal from amazon – buy a case – will save you lots money.

• January 28, 2013 at 5:52 pm

that sure does look good! I’ll try this as rolls some time!

• January 28, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I just made pasta tonight, this would have went great with it!! Looks amazing.

• Meghan@jamonkey
    January 28, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Looks almost like a scone which I love.

• January 29, 2013 at 6:44 am

I will have to try this. I sometimes like a bit of bread.

• Kathy
    January 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I am so excited to try these! I love garlic bread, but my kiddos not so much. Have you ever tried these without the garlic and italian seasoning?

• January 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Kathy, I’ve never made it with out the garlic but I don’t see why it would change anything 🙂

• January 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Yay for you on the house, but not on the germies and sore foot! Love, love, LOVE garlic bread and that is actually a wonderful idea to put it in rolls for personal yumminess!

• January 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thanks TerriAnn 🙂 Our house sold so quickly and now I’m just pulling out my hair trying to find a home to buy.

• January 30, 2013 at 12:58 am

Ooh.. I love any kind of bread & that looks amazing!

• January 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

I have a true bread addiction when it comes to french loaves, hoagie rolls, etc. This looks like a healthier alternative while still satisfying my cravings.

• January 31, 2013 at 11:13 am

Marcia, this is soo good. I only make it every blue moon because I will eat all of it, lol.

• January 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

Pinning! We miss bread.

• Deidre
    January 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Made this then made it again. You are a genius!

• January 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Super good huh? I seriously can’t make this alot since we tear through it.

• February 1, 2013 at 9:45 am

This looks great and I looked at the ingredients and I would never have thought of those!

• Grahamkn
    February 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Just made these and they are amazing!! Was a little unsure at first when I added the tapioca flour to the oil / water / salt but I persevered and I’m so glad I did!!

Off to amazon now to look at your book :o)

thanks again!!

• February 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Aw, thanks so much! I’m so happy it worked for you.

• Stephanie
    February 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Would arrowroot flour work as well? Or would it change it?

• February 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

It would totally change it and I’m pretty sure it would not work. Sorry hun.

• Fiona
      November 14, 2015 at 7:47 pm

HI,

Arrowroot flour is Tapioca flour, they are both the same thing so it should work.

I will be trying it a little later so I guess I will find out for sure.

• erin
    February 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Wow. Those look amazin!

• March 29, 2013 at 7:48 am

That looks good. You are so creative!

• Lora
    April 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

Would this recipe work for bagels? I have a donut pan…so was thinking bagels instead of roll. Thanks for this recipe!

• April 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

It should work fine. Just don’t make them really thick as the center will be really squishy and not completely cooked.

• Laura
    April 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Wow, this was so good and crunchie!!! I loved them! Thanks

• April 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, I’m glad they worked for you Laura.

• Sheri
        March 31, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Are these supposed to be gooey on the inside? I made into 1-2″ balls and they are very crunchy on the outside, but gooey (seems almost not cooked all the way) on the inside. The 2nd time I’ve made them and they turn out the same way. Love the taste, just can’t get past “gooey” bread. Any ideas?

• April 1, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hrmm. . they are supposed to be soft on the inside but not gooey. Did you try cooking them longer?

• Julie
    May 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Loved this. I made it with a chia egg and it still worked well, but I did have to stll bake them for close to an hour (I am not sure they ever really get totally cooked. My toddler who is on a crazy allergen diet really enjoyed the texture. I might try making it into a pizza crust which I think would help with bake time.

• Lisa Sharp
        September 10, 2013 at 7:18 am

Just curious if you have anything that I could replace the tapioca starch with?

• September 10, 2013 at 9:37 am

Hi Lisa, you can try arrowroot. I have heard back from readers who have some success with it. I have not used it though.

• Hillary
    September 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Looks amazeballs! Mmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . . . I know it will go over really well with my bread-loving crew here! Any way I can substitute arrowroot flour for the tapioca? I am not too familiar with tapioca, and have arrowroot in the house right now. Thanks! 🙂

• September 8, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Hi Hilary 🙂 I have gotten feedback from readers that arrowroot works but I’ve never tried it myself 🙂 I hope you like it

• Heather s
    September 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi! Love this recipe! I can’t use nuts, I was wondering what you thought for a substitution on the coconut flour! Thank you!!

• September 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Heather you could try sunflower seeds. I have not tried this so let me know how it turns out if you do make the substitution.

• Jenna
        September 9, 2013 at 3:25 am

I wanted to try this bread but I am confused! You say to pinch 1″ and roll into a ball, does this mean you get garlic ball rolls instead of one big piece of bread like the picture? Sorry if this is a silly questions – love you website!!

• September 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Hi Jenna, yes just pinch off a piece of dough and roll it into a ball. You DO NOT want to cook this a loaf. The center will never cook.

• Jenna
            September 10, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thank you Kelly!!

• Jill
    September 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Ok so I just made these… I LOVE THEM! I made them as the little rolls. But they browned really quickly on the outside and were still gooey on the inside. My husband doesn’t like the texture of gooey anything. So should I be cooking them at a different heat for the 1″ rolls in order to get a different texture? Or is it in how I mix them?

• September 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You could make then into more of a square so they cook evenly on the inside. Also you might lower your oven temp so you can cook them longer 🙂

• September 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Also, experiment and perhaps a little less oil.

• nora
    September 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm

WOW!! I just made these to go with our paleo Chili, and they were quite the hit! By far the best tasting paleo bread I’ve ever had! Now my next recipe will be your cinnamon rolls, so excited!

• September 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Nora! You should try my pizza crust recipe if you haven’t yet. It’s awesome!

• annie
    September 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Hint: They say that asian grocery stores carry tapioca flour dirt cheap. Many also carry rice flour noodles and a tapioca starch sandwich wrap. I have both the noodles and the sandwich wrap (you soak it in warm water for 10 seconds before wrapping your sandwich) I haven’t looked for the starch yet.

• September 10, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for tip Anne 🙂 I can get it at my grocery store which is closer than an Asian market. I wish there was one closer because the prices are always incredible!

• September 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

This looks amazing! Any idea how many carbs might be in a roll with this recipe? I am Hypoglycemic as well as Hypothyroid and really have to watch my carbs. I have many food allergies and I am off grains due to inflammation. I really do miss bread. I think this is going to be awesome!

• Tammy
    September 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I just made these and the dough was not like dough at all. It was runny. I was able to spoon some on to a baking sheet. They look ok and taste really good, but what went wrong?
    Thanks,
    Tammy

• September 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm

You might need to add more flour, perhaps the liquid ingredients were slightly off.

• December 24, 2014 at 8:02 am

I want to try your garlic roll recipe but was wondering can I make these in advance. If so should I cook them and save them for when I need them or should I just make dough and save until I am ready to use it

• December 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

I would save the dough, let it come to room temp and then bake hun.

• Dani
    September 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm

if someone is looking to make these, they should know not to stop after adding the tapioca flour, because I almost did. After adding the tapioca, the mixture literally looks like oily putty.. but I continued and I’m glad I did. Mine were a little bit gooey on the inside as well after they were done. Still tasted yummy though.. great flavor

• September 19, 2013 at 7:44 am

seriously the BEST paleo bread I have made. We loved it!! I am constantly trying new paleo recipes and this one didn’t disappoint (like so many of them do). Can’t wait yo make it again and again! Thank you!!

• Kristi
    October 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

Absolutely delish! This is honestly my new favorite bread for EVERYTHING! Love it with spaghetti squash and meat sauce!

• October 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I’m so glad that it’s a favorite Kristi 🙂 Now I want spaghetti 🙂

• Laura
    October 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hi! So my garlic “rolls” have been baking for almost 30 minutes and have not grown at all – still the size of the 1 inch balls! more like garlic “cookies”, not rolls – I followed directions exactly – did everyone elses’ rolls grow/expand in the oven?

• October 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Sometimes mine don’t grow very much either. You might have had a touch too much flour in them – measuring tapioca flour is a nightmare for me since it flies all over the place. Just pull one out and make sure it’s not gooey in the center.

• Tressa
    October 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Just made these rolls to go with a potato soup and they are delish!!! Love the italian seasoning dash of flavor. I substituted Arrowroot Flour (Bob’s Red Mill), as I didn’t have Tapioca Flour. Thanks for the great recipe!

• October 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I’m so glad that you enjoyed them Tressa!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

• Kerry
    October 18, 2013 at 3:29 am

Hi can’t wait to try this, would it work using coconut oil? Thanks

• October 18, 2013 at 7:55 am

Yep, coconut oil works well Kerry 🙂

• domi
    November 6, 2013 at 4:02 am

Hi, looks great. But how can i exchange the tapioca? Because in Holland it’s not easy availlable.

• November 6, 2013 at 8:24 am

Hi Domi, Do you have access to arrowroot? That would be the only replacement that would work.

• Daniela
      September 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Hi Doni, tapiocaflour is sold in toko’s in Holland and Belgium. Its somewhere next to ricenoodles and riceflour usually. And its, as opposed to arrowroot here, really cheap! Changed my life , really, when I figured that out (I’m Dutch, but living in Antwerp) – all of a sudden there’s bread, and pizza, and flatbread, and tortilla’s you can easily make within reach!HOpe you’ll find it soon!

• Heather
    November 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Any advice out there about step five?? I ended up with the tapioca separating so I ended up with a white chunk in a pool of oil. The only want I could get it to take the egg and coconut flour was to use a hand mixer…..but then the WHOLE mixture was in my beaters and oil was all over my kitchen. After picking all the dough out of my beaters I had something that formed balls. Never got to put in the Italian seasoning or the garlic 🙁 everything solidified so fast.

• November 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Oh no Heather. Was the dough warm when you started mixing it or was it cold? Do you have a food processor? You could stick the dough in there to mix up?

• Gary
    December 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm

This was an absolute disaster…… No rising at all. Olive oil did not blend with water and tapioca flour.. All I got was little rubber balls in the oven. Where is the yeast component to allow the bread to rise???? BEWARE!!!!

• December 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Yikes, sorry you had such a tough time with the recipe Gary. Did you check out any of my videos showing how to cook with Tapioca flour?

• Dina
    January 5, 2014 at 10:54 am

I love the flavour…. But I don’t know what went wrong with the texture…. I could not possibly pinch the dough and make small balls, it was too liquidy, so I put it in muffin cups and baked it in the muffin tin. I tested it after the recommended time and it wasn’t done on the inside, so I stuck it back in for a total of 1h. It still has gloop on the inside and on the top and bottom of that gloop there are air bubbles. So it’s crust-air-gloop-air-crust. I love the crust. ehehe the olive oil adds a great flavour. I just wish it would bake…. I don’t know how much more flour I was supposed to add for it to be the right consistency. Should I add more tapioca or more coconut? And then even when I do, I just don’t want to have more gloop inside. If I add, I would like it to bake… do you think it would…? -Thank you

• January 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I would add more tapioca flour until you have a dough. Start with 2 cups of tapioca vs 1 1/2 and dump it into the boiling water. If it is still too water, keep adding in flour by the tbsp.

• Amanda
        January 11, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Hi,

In the ingredient list the Tapioca is listed at 3/4 cup, but here in your comment it sounds like the starting amount is supposed to be 1 1/2 cups. 1 1/2 cups sounds right to me since when I made these the tapioca/liquid mixture was completely runny. Not at all doughy like in your pretzel video. Can you please clarify the amount?

Thanks.

• January 28, 2015 at 8:36 am

Amanda, you only put 3/4 cup in this recipe hun.

• Elizabeth
    January 11, 2014 at 11:27 am

I made this a couple nights ago. I was discouraged after adding the tapioca but am so glad I persevered! I will cut the olive oil next time and I used 1/4 tsp garlic powder instead of fresh and it worked. I made very small rolls and after 30 minutes turned the oven down to 300 to cook for another 40ish minutes a nd were still a little gooey but definitely edible. These were so good and definitely satisfied a desire for bread! Thank you so much for the recipe!!

• January 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for your feedback Elizabeth and I’m glad that it worked out for you.

• Brenda
    January 13, 2014 at 2:56 am

Have you tried adding baking powder to get some rise??

• January 13, 2014 at 8:59 am

You can try 🙂 I’ve never really seen a big “rise” in any paleo type bread. Please share Brenda if it does the trick 🙂

• jen
    January 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

Loved these! I’m going to try this without the garlic/salt and sub coconut oil with apple/cinnamon/raisins to make apple fritters!

• January 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I’m so happy it worked out for you!!

• Joshua a.
    January 30, 2014 at 7:57 am

the inside is chewy any tip?

• January 30, 2014 at 9:06 am

Did you make this and have found it is chewy? I’m not sure what your question is.

• Emma
    February 4, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I see in the directions you say to pinch into 1 inch balls but he photo shows a small loaf. Can you bake as a whole loaf or does it have to be in 1 inch pieces?

• February 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hi Emma. It will take forever to cook if you make a loaf so please make rolls.

• krista
    February 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I tried making this tonight to go along with supper and once I added the tapioca flour to the pot, once it had boiled, it turned into a yellow gloopy mess. I let the mixture come to a full boil before taking off the burner and adding in the flour. Not sure what happened but it looked like dried up yellow glue. it didn’t look anything like your video dough looked. The olive oil wouldn’t incorporate into it at all. I live in Canada and its cold here right now. Does that make a difference?

• February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm

It shouldn’t. Did you try put it into your food processor and adding a touch more tapioca flour?

• krista
        February 6, 2014 at 11:15 am

No, I didn’t try that. I got fed up and threw it all out, LOL!!! When I add the flour it instantly congeals and goes into a yellow goopy ball, there isn’t any working with it at all. You can pick it up with the mixing spoon as one big mess. I’m going to try again and use more tapioca flour.

• Joy
          July 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm

It looks like that at first but if you keep going, it all works in together. Especially once you add the egg. Grain-free baking sometimes starts out weird but usually if you make it to the end, it comes out well! 🙂

• July 7, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Yes, it can be an adventure every time 🙂

• NanCY
    February 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

Wondering if you could tell me what difference the altitude we life in might make for this recipe? We are at 3,800 in altitude. It’s not until we lived here I realized all baking has been diff, but don’t know what might need to change on this one & id LOVE to try it out soon!

• February 20, 2014 at 10:13 am

I would probably reduce the oil a bit and add more tapioca flour. I’m at sea level 😐

• February 20, 2014 at 9:34 am

I just made these as little rolls and they are amazing! I doubled the amount of garlic though and they turned out great! First coconut flour recipe i have tried that has worked! very impressed! My hubby thinks they are fabulous! I think next time i might use less salt as for me they were a bit too salty but hubby liked that about them lol! great recipe, thanks for posting! 😀

• February 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them and that they came out!

• mom2one01
    February 21, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Wonder how well these might freeze…. may have to give it a go! 🙂

• Shauni
    February 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi, could you please clarify do you roll these into small 1 inch balls and make heaps of small ones,

• February 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Yes, Shauni, as the the posts says please roll these into small 1 inch balls

• dianne
    March 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Hello….I tried the garlic bread recipe and once I got everything kneaded together I was relieved I saw “dough”. I cooked them for 40 minutes at 350. The finished product looked great…gooey on the inside….when I tasted them all I could taste was coconut and couldn’t taste the garlic…. Is the coconut flour necessary??? Could I replace it with the tapioca flour? I will try adding more garlic next time.

• March 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm

You could add more tapioca flour to the mix and shouldn’t have any issues. How big were your rolls?

• Natalie0920
    March 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Just tried these and they were delicious! Great texture when they were right out of the oven – crispy on the outside and gooey inside. Small balls are definitely the key. But, I put them in a plastic container and went back later to eat one, and they were soggy. Any storage tips? And can I freeze these?

• March 5, 2014 at 7:41 am

I know you can freeze them and reheat them successfully Natalie. Did they sit out for a while or?

• Helene
    March 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I tried this recipe and the outside was absolutely delicious but they were gooey on the inside and if I cooked them for longer, the outside would get overcooked. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

• March 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm

How big did you make them? I really keep mind around 2″ ball size.

• jenn
    March 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I made these tonight and they were delicious! Didn’t have Tapioca so I used Arrowroot instead. I Added about a TBS of minced garlic, 1/4 cup of Almond Flour (to cut the taste of the coconut), 2 tsp of Nutritional Yeast (for a cheesy flavor) and 1 tsp of baking powder. I can’t wait to make these again!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

• March 10, 2014 at 9:27 am

Jenn, I love the changes you made and will have try that the next time I make them!

• YJ
    March 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Kelly, it’s great that you take the time to respond to all these commenters! Anyway, I made these yesterday. I think I faced the same problem as many other people who tried make these rolls. After mixing the tapioca flour to the oil, the dough became really solid and gummy and it became hard to incorporate the coconut flour. (I did watch your pretzel video and it seemed like it was easy.) Couple of questions: 1) Why is it necessary for the oil to be hot? 2) Am thinking of incorporating the coconut flour earlier, with the hope that it will mix with the tapioca better. Would that work? I really want to get these right! Argh!

Once again, thanks for the hard work and inspiring blog. 🙂

• March 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm

YJ, I think I will give that a try the next time I made this. You have to cook the tapioca because it’s the only way to get the dough to be springy.

• April 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I am making this for the third time in about a week tonight. It is wonderful! The better olive oil you use, the better it turns out! Also, using a garlic press makes a HUGE difference.

• BEcky
    May 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for a wonderful recipe! It is a HUGE hit in our house. Those yummy garlic balls will be a staple for us going forward. Tonight we used the dough to make a pizza crust…oh, wow! Soooo good!

• Dani
    May 16, 2014 at 9:45 am

Do you think this would work better with baking soda or powder? I have gotten the same gooey insides and hard crunchy outsides discussed in other comments. It was like no matter how long they cooked, they refused to bake! Just wondering what your opinion would be? Considering some future experimentation!

• May 16, 2014 at 10:01 am

Hi Dani, when you make the recipe is the dough soft or? I would think to add more tapioca flour until you have a pliable dough if this is not what you’re finding. I normally use baking powder.

• Dani
        May 17, 2014 at 11:02 am

The dough is a really great consistence for kneading, and it cooks so pretty on the outside, it just stays gooey on the inside, like home-made play dough consistency. I haven’t retried the recipe, but I will let you know the results when I do!

• Nicole
    June 4, 2014 at 9:30 am

Do you think this could be made with flax egg? I am trying to find recipes for a teenager that can’t have nuts, diary or eggs and this is the closest bread recipe I have found.

• June 4, 2014 at 9:42 am

Tapioca plays really well with egg substitutes so it should work!

• Joy
    July 5, 2014 at 9:14 pm

These are fantastic! Garlic bread was one of my favorite food pre-health problems. It’s so fun to have it back as a treat! I would definitely tell everyone to measure carefully and keep going! The tapioca and olive oil didn’t mix very well for me at first, but I have used tapioca starch before and I knew if I kept going it would get better. It ended up becoming a good knead-able dough. I slightly flattened my dough balls so they would cook through the center. They turned out so good – crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, with a nice balance of flavors! Thank you for creating this recipe!

• July 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Yeah! I’m so happy you enjoyed them Joy and thanks for sticking with the recipe!

• Sherrill
    July 16, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi! Thanks so much for this. The bread is amzing. Love it. Do you think it’s ok to make lot of this so I’ll have it ready when I come home from work? If so, should I freeze it or refrigerate?

• July 16, 2014 at 11:11 am

You can freeze it hun! Let it defrost on your counter before warming up.

• Whitney
    July 22, 2014 at 7:20 am

I loved this the last time I made it! I’m a little short on time, is it OK to make the dough over my lunch break and refridgerate it to bake when I get home? Roughly 5 hours between?

• July 22, 2014 at 8:49 am

It should be fine. You might have to tweak the cook time a touch.

• August 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Made this tonight along with zucchini noodles and bolognese. This recipe was AWESOME! Outside was crunchy and inside was soft, chewy and delicious! Garlic was a great touch!

• August 28, 2014 at 7:11 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you enjoyed it hun!

• pamela
    September 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

I’m going to try making this garlic bread in a bundt cake pan. I have a vintage glass plain bundt cake pan. I was thinking that it might be real nice to slice this way, and it will have NO center to cook, which you say that is a problem in cooking if it is a loaf. I just love experimenting in my laboratory…I mean kitchen. 🙂

• Maria
    November 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I did and it turned out great. I added 1 tablespoon of pisilyum. Hug from Brasil

• November 11, 2014 at 11:27 am

Yeah! I’m so glad it worked for you Maria!

• Sam
    January 14, 2015 at 1:49 am

I made this stuff earlier. It turned out tasting pretty good, although the texture came out really strange. Before baking, it was a really sticky goop-like texture, so I wasn’t able to “knead” it into rolls – I just spread it out like a square pizza crust or something… So yeah, pretty good stuff, but I’m not sure what I did differently, ‘cuz I followed the recipe to a T.

• January 28, 2015 at 8:36 am

Sam, I put some tips in the post. Tapioca is tricky flour to cook with. I would have added more flour in (in 1/4 cup measurements) until you got a dough.

• Alicyn
    January 24, 2015 at 12:14 pm

All I can say is Wow! These were so yummy! I was a little scared when I saw it after adding the tapioca flour. But I am so glad I stuck with it. Thank you so much!!!!

• Barbara
    January 30, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Hi Kelly! Thank you soooo much for this wonderful bread! I have something maybe curious or valid to note:
    My friend and I made this bread a few days apart. I am in Germany and she is in the US. We both used exactly the same ingredients (but locally bought, of course). I made 3 smaller long-breads like small subs and she made 1 whole unit like you. Mine were perfect: crusty outside and a little bit smooth inside, definetely a hit. On the other hand, she said she got a kinda gooey outcome. I believe there’s definitely a long list of variables and I told her to make it again rolling smaller buns.

Love your ideas and I’m a huge fan.

• January 30, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Hi Barbara I’m so glad you enjoyed them hun. Yes, I had the same issue when I tried to make one big loaf so I mention in the post to make rolls so they turn out perfect on the inside 🙂

• Nia
    February 3, 2015 at 3:01 am

I’m confused. Why do you have a picture of a a full loaf when what it is meant to be is small rolls?

• February 3, 2015 at 8:10 am

When I made the recipe for the blog, I thought it would be fun to try it as a full loaf.. I quickly learned why this would not work after my first bite! Make rolls, they will turn out perfect!

• Maria peck
    February 5, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I have a real hard time with coconut flour. Can it be replaced with almond flour? Missing my bread.

• February 24, 2015 at 9:26 am

You can’t hun. Coconut flour is so unique that I’ve never found anything that is similar.

• Julie
    March 2, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Even after watching the video and feeling confident this would be a quick and easy recipe… My dough turned out a gummy mess that with even another half cup of coconut flour would still not kneed without sticking all over my fingers and hands. I used half and half ghee and coconut oil because I don’t use butter. Has anyone experienced a problem with these oils for this recipe? They usually work in other baked things fine. Also, is there a reason for no baking soda or powder like you have in your pretzel recipe? Thanks!

• March 6, 2015 at 8:37 am

You don’t need a leavening agent with tapioca flour. I’m sorry it didn’t’ work for hun. There is some tips in this post about adding additional tapioca flour if you don’t get a dough. I’ve used both of coconut and ghee and had no issue. It’s really just a tricky flour to use and the brand you buy affects how it will come out.

• Michele
    March 5, 2015 at 11:03 am

I made for a family get together. They couldn’t stop talking about them. A BIG AWESOME HIT ;0)

• noera
    March 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I made mine today, but they sadly didn’t work. The dough didin’t seem to absorb all the oil, so i added more topiaca flour but when the bread looked nicely done, the inside was still doughy :/

• Vivian
    April 9, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I just made these tonight! WOW!!! these are delicious, crispy, and all around wonderful!! thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

• Diane
    May 5, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi Kelly,
    I’m doing the low carb thing. I’m hopeful that this recipe will fit my needs because of the use of coconut flour. Would you happen to know how many carbs per bun? I cannot substitute almond flour due to a nut allergy, so my options are limited. Thanks!

• May 6, 2015 at 8:06 am

Diane, this recipe is higher carb hun. I would recommend my cornbread instead of this one if you are trying to do low carb.

• June 28, 2015 at 6:49 am

I don’t know what happened. I followed the directions exactly using the same ingredients. I omitted the garlic though. I have an internal oven thermometer because the gauge on the outside isn’t very accurate.
    From the outside,these looked beautiful. The insides were completely raw.
    I’d say the crust was done (nicely browned) after 35 minutes and I pulled one apart to check. Gooey inside,but a congealed goo. The top came off in one intact little flying saucer shape. I ate the top that I had pulled off. DELICIOUS!
    Anyway, I put them back in the oven (including the topless one) for 8 more minutes .
    Still gooey. Another 5 min, gooey. I think I did this 3 more times. The middle never really cooked. A very rubbery intact blob, that came out as one piece as well. Very oily.
    Anyway, I wanted to pass this along. I do agree that it will probably work better as a pizza crust or even naan.
    Thank you. This had a wonderful flavor and I’m going to keep trying it until I can get it right.

• September 10, 2015 at 11:24 am

Tapioca is so tricky! Diud you make a loaf or rolls? I can never get a loaf to cook all the way through correctly.

• Corina
    September 16, 2015 at 4:30 am

Can i substitute tapioca flour with something else. My son is not allowed tapioca flour.Thanks

• September 24, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I’m gluten intolerant so I’m trying to stay clear of grains because even though I purchase so called gluten free foods I still have a problem breaking out over 60 % of my body. I’ve lost over 36 pounds out of fear of eating or drinking the wrong foods ,Out of all of the different bread recipe’s so far I have only found ONE that really taste good which was a biscuit recipe that I added and omitted some ingredient’s from it’s original recipe. I just finished mixing up your recipe and It’s in the oven right now, I decided to make it in the shape of loaf bread, I ‘m praying that it turn out well because right now I’m craving a sandwich LOL. Will get back with you to let you know the results.Thanks again for the recipe,( feeling optimistic right now.)

• September 24, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Hi Maxine! Congrats on your wieght loss hun! I hope this worked for you!

• September 25, 2015 at 11:56 am

To be honest this was not what I expected, I liked the fact that the out side was crunchy, but Once I cut into it the inside looked too doughy, It tasted too Gooey, maybe too much oil I thought,so I cooked it a little longer. then I sliced the entire loaf and laid the slices on foil and put them in my toaster oven hoping that the inside would get dry and have that toasted taste, It never happened. Thanks anyway Your efforts are appreciated… So back to the drawing board I go, I’m not giving up, I will find a good recipe for grain free sandwich bread.

• September 25, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Good luck hun! I really recommend you make this as rolls not a loaf for this reason 🙂

• margriet blok
          October 10, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I made the paleo “Italian garlic bread” today , it turned out to be very greasy , too wet for my liking and doughy. I am sorry but this recipe makes a 1 on a scale of 10. Margriet

• October 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Sorry it didn’t work out hun.

• Donna Pantuso
            December 27, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I ended up putting the tapioca dough in a food processor to help with the mixing. It was a scary situation and I could be heard muttering, “I will be throwing this out later….”. Then I threw it back in the bowl and took a spoon and a fork and cut and mixed with that. Threw some more flour on the counter and kneaded, adding more flour until it was manageable.

• December 28, 2015 at 9:06 am

I hope that it worked well for you Donna!

• Roberta
    October 13, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi Kelly, I would like to THANK YOU!!! this is the best garlic bread roll recipe. The dough always comes out different for me which i have learned to adapt. We use it for our “hamburger buns” and for our sandwiches. We have been on the Paleo diet for 6 months and this recipe totally saved my husband from going insane without “real” bread….sooooo THANK YOU!!!

• October 13, 2015 at 12:53 pm

You are so very welcome hun and I’m happy to hear you have mastered it 🙂

• Ashley
    November 6, 2015 at 7:32 am

These are delicious!! I have used the dough to make a sweet treat as well. I substituted coconut oil instead of the olive oil (which I actually don’t use anyways I use avacado oil), didn’t add the garlic or italian seasoning. Once they dough was rolled into balls I rolled them in coconut palm sugar & cinnamon. MMM they taste like mini donuts but way better!!

• Amy
    November 10, 2015 at 9:21 am

Why is gluten free bread so difficult for me? I am ever so hopeful with every new grain, dairy, and nut free bread recipe, but I just cannot seem to get it right. I tried this recipe in batches, as I’ve learned to do with gluten free baking but I just baked uncooked rolls each time. My dough was very sticky, too much to even try to get on the parchment paper, so I used a tiny bit of oil to help and pressed these out very thin to help the middles finally cook. I did get some edible little flat biscuits to eat, but what is the SECRET to Gluten Free Bread Baking? Many thanks!

• November 20, 2015 at 9:56 am

Honestly, it’s just a learning curve hun. For this dough you can add more tapioca flour until you have a soft dough.

• Nikko
    December 8, 2015 at 4:26 pm

This recipe is damn good!!! It came out almost perfect on my first try. The dough was a tad oily and the bread came out a bit moist in the middle. Should I add a bit more flour next time or increase the baking time? I wonder if I could use this as a pizza crust. The flavor was so good!!!

• Donna Pantuso
      December 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I think the middle is supposed to be a bit gooey. I kneaded the dough on a surface with a bit of tapioca flour. Then added a bit more as needed to the dough would not stick to the counter.

• Sai
    December 14, 2015 at 11:11 am

My first batch didn’t come out so great…..my second one came out so good! I didn’t even change anything so idk what happened lol! Delicious!!!! One question though: They do come out a bit oily, instead could we add more water and less oil? Would it change the texture of the bread?

• January 18, 2016 at 10:25 am

Sai, tapioca is such a strange flour! I’m glad you had success on your second try!

• robert woldridge
    December 19, 2015 at 11:09 am

I made the biscuit’s as you recommended turned out great , we like the slight gooey centers, I have tried leaving out the garlic and replacing it with rosemary. MMMMMM

• December 28, 2015 at 9:22 am

Yum! Next time I’m trying rosemary!

• Sandy
    December 26, 2015 at 11:33 am

OMG! Just made this recipe into a flatbread and it was the best flatbread I have tasted in a very long time… I have your cookbook and love and make your coconut cinnamon cereal weekly ( addicted to it)

• December 28, 2015 at 9:10 am

Yeah! What a great idea Sandy 🙂 Thank you for supporting my work!

• Donna Pantuso
    December 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm

We are “socked in” here in NM. Governor has declared a state of emergency. This is the DESERT!!!! The snow is so high that it is ridiculous! I do not have any bread or eggs in my pantry….. I came across this recipe and thought, ‘why not?’. I followed the recipe except I used 2 TBS of carton egg white with 1 TBS of applesauce instead of the egg. Cooked for exactly 30 minutes and waa laa!!! Beautiful!! I would have never tried this recipe if I hadn’t gone looking for a bread recipe that would acommodate my lack of supplies. This will definitely be a regular for my family. Now…. as soon as I can, I will go shopping and get some eggs……

• January 8, 2016 at 11:36 am

This is our go-to biscuit recipe. The kids love it and will happily eat any soup that accompanies these delights. Thank you!.

• January 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

So glad you all enjoyed it Jennifer!

• Daniela
    January 10, 2016 at 4:55 pm

BEST.PALEO.BREAD.EVER! Thank you for changing my life

• Liz
    January 14, 2016 at 12:52 pm

I had great success with making this garlic bread! I highly recommend watching the video you suggested. The only change I made was adding the coconut flour before the egg. Plus, I formed them into biscuits rather than rolls. They were delicious topped with avocado and a fried egg.. yumm! Thank you for the recipe!

• January 18, 2016 at 9:53 am

Oh yum! Yes, you HAVE to watch the video to get this technique down.

• Laura Butler
        February 9, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Bless You Kelly!
        I am just starting down this no wheat path, and your recipe is one of the first I’ve tried.
        I only had tapioca pearls, so I substituted brown rice flour and flattened it into the pan.
        Turned out almost like a garlic hoecake, but at least I’m not completely breadless!
        Thank you!

• May 2, 2016 at 9:08 am

Aw, I’m so glad you enjoyed it Laura!

• Hala
    March 6, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Hi
    I tried to make this today. My mistake was not doing 1 inch rolls. I did it as a roll. Took forever and still very soft from inside, and mine didn’t rise. It looked like a Mimi roll. LOL. Any ideas? Should I add baking powder? Should I have added yeast? Should I left the dough sit a little? Other than I should have watched the video and making 1 inch rolls. I’m excited to try again

• March 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I would just stick to 1″ rolls hun. I hope it works out for you!

• Jenny
    March 19, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I really wish I would have read your narrative before making into a loaf because as you CLEARLY stated, the center didn’t cook but WHOA!!!!! This recipe is AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! Can’t wait to try other recipes!!!

• March 20, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Aw, I’m glad you enjoyed it hun. Yes, rolls only!

• Luba Ryder
    March 23, 2016 at 5:30 am

I make these bread rolls with Rosemary and make about 8 larger ones than specified. The next day I heat one or two up in the toaster and they are simply scrumptious.

• Ronnie
    March 30, 2016 at 5:43 am

If I have trouble getting tapioca, can I use potato flour instead?
    Thanks!

• Linda
    May 22, 2016 at 11:20 pm

This garlic bread was a horrible waste of ingredients. It was a gelotinous mess. And why do you say to bake it on a greased baking sheet? The oil just oozzzzzzes out of it. A 1/2 cup with such little ingredients? It’s disgustingly oily. I went back and read the blog before the receipe again. I guess I should of tried adding more tapioca flour, but I figured if you were putting your receipe on the net it was already tried and true. I was wrong. Very disappointing.

• May 27, 2016 at 11:59 am

Linda, I make the recipe as written and have no issue hun. There are factors such as the flour you purchase, your altitude, etc that affect the outcome of this recipe. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

• Monica
    May 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm

SO thanks to your amazing recipe my allergic to the world son can now have bread with some meals. This is the best. At first the egg would cook on me. I had to learn to walk away from the dough and let it cool down. I’m still learning to cook for him after 3 years of doing this.

• June 19, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m so glad he can enjoy this recipe hun! I wish you both well on your journey hun.

• Caz Hodgskin
    June 26, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Hello From Australia Here!

I make a version of this quite often now – as my husband is a diabetic, and “normal” bread makes his blood sugar soar!!!

He wanted something he could dip into a stew or soup, and just recently I have started making this in a long sausage shape so he can dip in oil and Dukkah, and he loves it!

My variation is; I only use 1/3 cup of olive oil and leave out the garlic and herbs as he just doesn’t want those flavours. I have found it is really important to leave the mix for about 5 mins with the tapioca or arrowroot (which is what we can get here in Australia), before adding the coconut flour, and mine don’t rise or spread out, but I just divide the mixture into 6 and make round or long rolls – and they have not failed me in the baking as yet!!

• Kat
    July 29, 2016 at 7:56 am

So excited to try this! Could you use almond flour instead of tapioca flour?

• November 13, 2016 at 5:01 pm

No almond flour won’t make it work hun. You can sub arrowroot.

• August 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I guess I”m confused..When I added the coconut flour, it was still very wet so I added more until I could knead it. I followed the instructions saying to roll them into balls and place on cookie sheet. Was I supposed to place them together touching? Mine turned out to be little round balls. Doesn’t look a thing like the pic. Help!!

• November 13, 2016 at 4:57 pm

It works better to add more tapioca flour if the dough is too wet hun. Also, I recommend mixing the dough when it’s hot.

• Kelly
    August 20, 2016 at 9:15 pm

It says to tear off one inch piece and roll and place on baking sheet and repeat. Is this to be a bunch of balls of bread or one bigger loaf?

• August 21, 2016 at 11:34 am

It’s supposed to be small balls of bread hun.

• Kelly
    August 24, 2016 at 11:01 am

It is called Garlic Bread however there isn’t any garlic, garlic powder or salt. Why is it referred to as garlic?

• Paula
    September 23, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I made the Garlic Bread Rolls from your “Paleo Eats” cookbook and it was so easy. They are so delicious that I don’t even want to share with anyone else; I want to hoard them all to myself. I’m thinking of getting some kind of dipping sauce for them. They are incredibly delicious and I am so grateful you created this recipe!!

• Charlie Pearson
    October 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi. Third time I have made this now and it’s amazing. I use it to make a naan bread to go with the curry. Doubled up on the ingredients and it makes a bread about 10mm thick and about 250mm round. Cooks perfect on greaseproof paper if you turn it about 30 minutes in. Sprinkled coriander leaf on it 10 minutes before taking it out. Perfect. Thank you so much for this recipe.

• Nicola Swain
    January 12, 2017 at 12:10 am

I made the balls they were perfect and they tasted amazing I followed your instructions and they came out perfect

• Bradford Elsinger
    February 22, 2017 at 12:26 pm

The recipe calls for Instructions: 7. Pinch a 1″ piece of dough and roll it into a ball. I see a pictured loaf. Can a loaf be made or just the 1″ rolled balls?

• April 10, 2017 at 10:14 am

You need to make it in rolls hun 🙂

• Vicki Harris
    March 17, 2017 at 9:03 am

Tasty, but gooey and oily. Should there be a raising agent?

• Susan
    March 21, 2017 at 4:56 pm

These were a huge hit with my family tonight. My husband ate almost the entire batch by himself! He says I can’t make them often because he eats too much when I do. Thank you so much for the recipe!

• Stacy
    March 28, 2017 at 4:26 pm

On my second attempt and this one is a bigger train wreck than the last. The sad thing is, the smell and flavor are spot on, but the texture is….I can’t even describe it…..stringy, sticky, greasy, soupy. So much promise here. I can’t rely hit or miss recipes with a hungry family waiting to eat, but I can’t help thinking this could be perfected.

Have you tried cassava flour in place of the tapioca flour? To me the tapioca flour is the problem child. Anyway….thanks for the start. 🙂

• Paleo Dinosaur
    May 4, 2017 at 10:51 am

I would probably go easier on the coconut flour, they turned out a bit sweet for my taste. Otherwise they were perfect!

• Marcy_64
    May 13, 2017 at 1:53 am

Hi Kelly, I am trying to do the rolls which look so amazing but am having troubles with the quantities. I always have with US recipes which are in “cups” (here in Italy it’s always grams), and even if I bought those plastic measurement cups on Amazon, still it won’t work. Could you please tell me the equivalent in grams of the ingredients? With 3/4 cup of tapioca the mix was as runny as water… and even after adding twice or thrice the amount, plus even more coconut flour there’s no way I can knead it! You could help me solve a big problem because lots of Paleo recipes are US, so thank you in advance!!

• May 15, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Gah! No way! I was imagining this being so hard and complicated, and it totally isn’t! I can’t wait to try!

• May 15, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Wow! This bread looks fabulous! The crust looks perfect and all of that garlicky goodness is calling my name. I haven’t had garlic bread in years, I would love to make some of this.

• May 16, 2017 at 8:19 am

This looks amazing! I always looking for paleo bread recipes. Can’t wait to try it out!

• May 16, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Wow girl, I’m impressed that you could come up with a delicious looking recipe like this on a Saturday for a post on Monday! While house hunting. And fighting off a cold and hurt foot 🙂

• May 17, 2017 at 4:07 pm

This looks and sounds delicious! This would be perfect with some paleo spaghetti 🙂

• May 18, 2017 at 12:39 am

Looks incredible! Garlic bread is the one thing my daughters still ask for, so now I’ll know what to make. Thanks for a great recipe.

• May 19, 2017 at 9:26 am

This garlic bread look incredible! Great recipe 🙂

• May 19, 2017 at 5:47 pm

This garlic bread looks so delicious ! I love a good loaf of savory bread !

• May 22, 2017 at 6:10 am

Gosh, that sounds like a totally crazy week! Good thing you have the amazingly comforting garlic rolls! 🙂

• May 22, 2017 at 6:34 am

Thanks for this I love garlic ‘bread’! So this paleo version is a great option!

• May 22, 2017 at 9:45 am

Ooh yum! I love a good garlic bread and this looks fabulous!

• May 22, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I bet this would make amazing croutons for summer salads!!

• May 25, 2017 at 8:58 am

As I read the instructions, I’ll be baking alot of 1-inch balls. Are you saying these will turn into loaves of french garlic bread? Magic?

• May 29, 2017 at 6:11 pm

This dough is better suited to rolls. You will see in my post that I stated the loaf never baked in the center.

• Shawna
    June 4, 2017 at 5:29 pm

I followed the directions, but ended up with a lump of gelatinous and group sitting in oil. 🙁 is there something you can suggest? I kept trying to mix it thoroughly but it wouldn’t incorporate. So I poured off some of the oil and continued moving forward. Hopefully this will be something edible, but possibly not.

• Lora Alexander
    November 15, 2017 at 1:16 pm

This recipe sounds wonderful. Would it be possible to roll out this dough and make breadsticks?

• November 17, 2017 at 8:44 am

Yes you can hun. Just keep an eye on the cook time.