Paleo Pizza Crust

This crispy Paleo Pizza crust will remind you of your wheat based favorite! This paleo pizza dough is dairy-free!

crispy paleo pizza crust

I’ve been tinkering around in my kitchen with Tapioca Flour and, while it walks the line between Paleo and not-Paleo, it truly is an amazing flour to add to your grain-free pantry.

I’ve made bread and fritters with it in the past but I wanted to see if I could make a Paleo pizza crust that was reminiscent of the thin crust pizzas that my husband loves.

Mr. Bejelly pronounced it the best crust I have ever made to date so I take that as high praise from his picky self.

You can make this really thin and it will be super crispy and firm or make it more doughy and soft.

For a crispy crust keep the thickness at 1/4″ to 1/2″.  Anything larger than this and you will have a soft crust.

This recipe is super simple and dairy-free.

thin crispy paleo pizza crust

Why we love this Paleo Pizza Crust

• It’s dairy-free so it works for those with milk allergies
  • It’s crispy and will hold up when held

This recipe has been made and loved by thousands of people so I’m going to take the time now to update this post with some common questions to help you make it successfully

Can I substitute arrowroot or cassava flour for the tapioca?

You cannot substitute the flour in this recipe and I highly recommend you use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca flour for the best chance of success.  For more information about why tapioca flour and arrowroot are different read this post.

Can I use flaxseed or aquafaba to make this egg-free?

Yes, you can.

I’m having trouble getting the pizza dough come together, what can I do to save the recipe?

First, make sure you are mixing together the ingredients when the flour is very warm.  Next, you and try to put it in a food processor or kitchen stand mixer to beat the dough together.

Can I bake this on a pizza stone?

Yes you can.  Just keep an eye on the crust as it will cook faster.

What paleo pizza toppings do you suggest?

My favorite way to eat this pizza is topped with pesto and pepperoni.  You can also check out the follow suggestions:

• Tomato pizza sauce
  • Italian Sausage
  • Bell peppers
  • mushrooms

Other recipe you may enjoy:

Paleo Pizza Crust
Yield: 8

Paleo Pizza Crust

Crispy just like you remember pizza crust should be!

1. In a small pan add your olive oil, water, sea salt and garlic and bring to a boil. Remove from the stove and add in your Tapioca flour and mix.
  2. Let this sit for 2 minutes and then work in your Italian seasoning and egg.
  3. The dough should be warm, soft and pliable and not sticky. If it's sticky please add more flour.
  4. Here you can either shape into bread rolls or take two sheets of parchment paper and roll/flatten out the dough into a pizza dough.
  5. For a crispy crust keep the thickness at 1/4" to 1/2". Anything larger than this and you will have a soft crust.
  6. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and sprinkle the top of the dough with 1 tsp of almond flour.
  7. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes on a stainless steel baking sheet. When the crust is done you can top with your topping and cook until warm - roughly 10 minutes more at 350.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

g

Amount Per Serving:Calories: 211 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 142mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 1g

1. Maryann January 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

thanks Kelly, I’m keeping this one. I hate to have to get rid of pizza. We get one with carmelized onions and prosciutto that is to die for. I want it.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2013 at 9:22 am

Maryann it’s super easy and yummy. The first crust that I have ever made the reminded both me and hubs of a “normal” crust.

1. Deb Huddleston August 29, 2013 at 2:14 am

What can I substitute for almond flour?

1. Kelly Bejelly August 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

Deb, you can skip it completely and it will come out perfect 🙂

1. Astrid June 3, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Kelly, this recipe sounds great and it’s similar to your garlic bread that I made the other day, which was yummy but my concern is about bringing the oilive oil to boil. Olive oil oxides at high heat so wouldn’t this be unhealthy????

2. Kelly Bejelly June 4, 2014 at 9:41 am

Hi Astrid, you can use coconut oil or palm shortening as a replacement. I use palm shortening all the time.

3. SaM The HAM September 21, 2014 at 5:29 pm

PLEASE don’t use PALM OIL or PALM SHORTENING, Kelley Bejelly!!

Palm Oil in Everything From Food to Fuel Is Killing Orangutans and Exacerbating Climate Change

4. Kelly Bejelly September 23, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hi Sam, Thanks for sharing your concern. I would also look into the standards that Tropical Traditions uses when harvesting palm.

5. Le Lan February 27, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Hi Astrid,
            I come from south of france and we have mediteraen diet, we cook everything in olive oil, and our general way of eating is recognised to have many benefits for your body, and increase life length so you make your decision.
            I actually read a really interesting article about it`, and it refers to a study , where the authors heated various oils to “deep-frying conditions” and checked oxidative markers every three hours. The olive oils made it 24-27 hours of constant high heating before reaching the maximum legal value of heat damage.”

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defending-olive-oils-reputation/#ixzz3SycAIV3w
            If you ever find the time or interest I let you read this article, you can fry stuff in olive oil,, and olive oil has lot of health benefits.

By the way Kelly great blog ! I love it. Thank you very much for sharing

2. Roberta February 20, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Kelly, the recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of Almond Flour, but I only see 1 tsp used in the directions to dust the top of the crust. Can you clarify? Thank you.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 22, 2015 at 12:09 am

It’s 1 teaspoon hun! I just updated it.

3. Angela October 28, 2016 at 3:02 pm

OMG! This crust is awesome! Super easy to make too! I made two batches to freeze for later. Thank you Kelly!

2. Danielle July 22, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Holy crap thank you!! Finally a real pizza!! I wish you were in front of me I’d hug you!!! Delicious!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Yep, Tapicoa is a starch derived from the Cassava or Yuca plant so it’s gluten-free 🙂

1. KB January 22, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Is tapioca flour and tapioca starch the same thing?

2. Mellisa January 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Looks really good! We love pizza so I may try this for our next pizza/movie night.

3. Lolo January 8, 2013 at 1:41 am

I have never tried almond flour before.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2013 at 9:25 am

I hope you like it Kim! I had to force my husband to save me piece 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

I had a lot of problems with coconut flour and tapioca flour at first but now I have an idea of the ratio that they need to be at to work. It took me a while to get it down.

4. Jenn January 8, 2013 at 8:56 am

Yay that you don’t have to give up pizza!

5. Audrey January 8, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it out! One question though, how large of a pizza does this make? I’ll be making this for 6 hungry people, so I’m trying to figure out if I need to double the recipe.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Actally I was able to make the pizza and make 3 extra rolls with the recipe. My pizza was 10″ round and thin crust so really crispy. You could easily make a 12″/14″ pizza with this.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I get it at my grocery store in the natural section. Bob’s Red Mill makes it.

6. Alison January 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

As a NYer I love Pizza. And why not try to make a healthier one. I am in!

7. Billie January 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love pizza, definitely a recipe to try.

8. Jenn @therebelchick January 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I haven’t had pizza in over a month. I miss it so much. Too bad there isn’t a low carb, fat free version out there that actually tastes good!

9. Meghan @JaMonkey January 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm

This looks good. I love that it doesn’t take all night to rise!

10. Donna January 9, 2013 at 7:06 am

I’ll definitely try this! My hubby and son could eat pizza every day. 🙂

11. Jennifer January 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Never heard of Tapioca flour. I’ll be sure to look it up and perhaps make this

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

I love these photos! I’m totally craving a pizza right now–that crust looks so crispy and perfect!

13. Stefani January 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I totally want to try this. I have been making pizzas quite often lately and would love to change up my crust.

14. Marcie W. January 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’ve made a coconut flour pizza crust but not tapioca yet. This one sounds great and less dense than my first attempt!

15. Jada January 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Wow, FINALLY! I’ve probably tried 10 different paleo crusts and they are all terrible. This one actually tastes like the real thing!! THANKS!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You’re welcome! It’s the absolute best “imitation” I’ve created of a pizza crust 🙂

16. Lisa January 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Adding this to my list of things to try

17. Colleen January 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

No I’m ready for some pizza LOL

18. Sarah | Shine Food January 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

You’re a hero! I hope you’ll contribute this recipe to this month’s Shine Supper Club. We’re celebrating healthy recipes, and this would be a perfect contribution!

1. Betty February 21, 2015 at 12:04 am

Does chickpea flour count as non-grain?

1. Kelly Bejelly February 21, 2015 at 11:22 am

It’s a legume hun so while it works for a grain-free diet, it doesn’t work for a paleo diet.

19. Toni January 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it.

20. Kathleen January 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I could kiss you right now! Thanks!

21. Courtney January 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Love that it has garlic 🙂

22. shelly January 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Can I sub expeller pressed coconut oil for the olive oil, you think? Thanks!-
    I’m talking about the tapioca pizza crust.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yes, that should not make a difference. I hope you enjoy it!

23. Angie January 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I just started Paleo and this seems like A LOT of olive oil. Is this a normal amount of oil to cook with on Paleo?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

You could sub it with Coconut oil? Are you concerned about the fat? I follow more of a Primal diet which has more of an emphasis of fat as a food group. I know that Loren Cordain at first pushed low fat on the Paleo diet however in the 2002 revision of his book he was more accepting of saturated fats.

24. Jessica S February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I made this today in the form of mini pizzas with the intent of sending them in his lunch to preschool. I then had to go to the store to buy more ingredients because we ate them all. I have since made another batch and its killing me not to eat one. I loved the first one, it was crunchy, yet soft and airy. The second batch, I actually did 1 cup tapioca, 1/2 cup coconut flour and I did use less olive oil. They turned out FANTASTIC. taste the same as before, just a little more dense because of the coconut flour. THANK YOU!!

1. Kelly Bejelly February 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’m so glad you liked them and I’m going to try them the way you described 🙂 I try not to make these often as we can not get enough of them either 🙂

25. Cara February 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I tried the original recipe and LOVED it! It’s a super easy and tasty recipe. The second time I made the crust, we were out of olive oil so I used coconut oil as a substitute. It tasted fine, but was much harder to work with and a lot of the oil baked out of the crust. It was messy and the crust was a little drier, but still amazing. Anyway, just thought I’d give my feedback. Thanks for such a great recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly February 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Cara and I really appreciate you letting me know that coconut oil is not the best substitute to use.

26. Luiz April 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Hello.

What’s the right amount of almond flour?

2 TBps (in ingredients: 2 tbsp of almond flour) or 2 Tsp (in instructions: Sprinkle the top of the dough with 1 tsp of almond flour. Flip over and repeat.)

1. Kelly Bejelly April 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thanks for catching that Luiz! It should be 2 tsp of almond flour.

27. Hapa Couple May 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Thank you for sharing your recipe. We tried it twice…we knew we made a mistake the first time…but the second time it came out great. Very tasty!

28. Briana July 17, 2013 at 8:31 am

I really really like this recipe! I’ve tried a variety of paleo pizza crusts and they always turn out mushy. This recipe gave the most crunchy, crust-like result. HOWEVER, 1/2 cup of olive oil was wayyyy too much. I ended up with a dripping heap of dough that I literally squeezed oil out of, and into the sink. Even after squeezing out excess oil the pizza still baked in a puddle of oil. It resulted in crunchy edges but a soggy center. LI will definitely try this recipe again but with much less olive oil. THANKS FOR THE REECIPE!

1. Kelly Bejelly July 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yikes, it’s never done that for me but yep, reducing the oil sounds like the trick! I’m glad that it worked for you 🙂

29. Marcia August 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hi Kelly…I just made the pizza crust…seemed like there was too much EVOO, is 1/2 cup correct? The crust did get crispy, but seemed to fall apart. Did you knead the dough before? With the toppings, everyone like the crust, but I could just be learning to work
    with tapicoa flour. Thanks.

1. Kelly Bejelly August 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Hi Marcia, I have had some people tell me they use less oil (perhaps start with 1/4 cup and add 1 tbsp of oil?) when making the recipe. It might simply have to do with my oven, sea level, etc which is why this varies. I did make a video tutorial to help with the recipe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHR5gOnQrQ 🙂 I was also wondering if my pans have any sway in how this bakes up. I use stainless steel pans and the heat might distribute differently when baking. Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

30. Kerry August 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Without the garlic and Italian seasoning, could this be made into tortillas? Or do you have a tortilla recipe?

1. Kelly Bejelly August 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I’m working on a tortilla recipe but that doesn’t help you right now. This would not work as a tortilla. It gets too crsipy and if you didn’t cook it as long as the recipe states, it would be very soggy. I’m sorry hun but I should have my tortilla recipe down shortly and I’ll email ya!

31. Di wheeler September 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Been paleo since last December for psoriasis issues. Since going paleo, I’ve experienced much improvement but have missed pizza and all the other yummy goodies. Made your pizza crust for chicken margarita pizza tonight. Loved it! And it was a big hit with my pizza-loving hubby! Thanx so much:) Looking forward to trying your cinnamon rolls next 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly September 7, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yeah! I’m so glad it worked for you Di! I hope you like the cinnamon rolls too 🙂

32. mom2one01 October 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I can not thank you enough for bringing pizza back into our lives!!!! Not only is this pizza fantastic and actually TASTES like a pizza (and not nuts!) but you have brought “pizza night” back into our lives, which in essence is what we’ve really missed since having to change our diet due to multiple food allergies/intolerances. Thanks to you, we can have our Friday night “pizza night” again and kick back with a delicious slice of pizza and a movie! xoxoxo

1. Kelly Bejelly October 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm

You are so welcome! It’s a favorite in our house and we eat it 3x a month!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm

It’s seriously one of our favorites and sometimes I make it 2x a week – yeah, I know but it’s so good! I hope you like it 🙂 Watch the video if you need help.

33. smusmu October 31, 2013 at 6:19 am

Hi and thank you so much for this recipe. I used butter instead og the oil and it´s so good 😀

1. Kelly Bejelly October 31, 2013 at 9:26 am

I do the same thing and it comes out perfect 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

34. Lauren December 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I kind of gave up on ever enjoying pizza again since I became strictly gluten and dairy free, plus mostly grain free. But I was craving it tonight so I tried this recipe and it more than hit the spot! My husband is still a gluten & dairy eater and he even said this pizza blows Papa Murphy’s out of the water! Not that Papa Murphy’s is anything to write home about, but for a guy who is used to cheesy gluteny pizza to PREFER grain-free, dairy-free pizza seems like a big deal to me! It probably helped that I put bacon on as one of the toppings! Thanks so much, Kelly, for sharing this!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 6, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Yeah! i’m so glad you both loved it and ha, I had my share of Papa Murphys so thanks for the giggle.

35. Julie January 4, 2014 at 9:10 am

I made this pizza last night. The first time I tried to roll it out it was too wet and stuck to the parchment paper so I had to scrape it all off and add more tapioca flour until I could actually handle it without it sticking to my hands. I also added almond flour in the mix about 2 T. When I baked it I flipped it several times and finally removed the parchment paper once the crust was crisp and a solid piece. I baked it for probably 40 minutes before I put anything on it to make sure it was crispy and browned. After adding toppings I baked it even more and I used 400 degrees for the final baking, probably could have started with a higher temp to make it quicker. Now, after all of that I will say that the crust was really good, crunchy with nice texture – it is the best pale crust I have ever had and I am done searching, this is the one!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 4, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I’m so glad it worked for you Julie and thanks for sharing those tips!

36. sofie January 12, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Would it be possible to substitute the tapioca for arrowroot?

Btw, love your blog!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 12, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Yes, a lot of people have done this with success. Just remember to check out the how to video!

37. eli January 25, 2014 at 3:45 pm

OK, I’ve made pizza crust for ten years now, so I though I’d try this new paleo fad crust.
    First off, the video did not work, but that’s OK I know how to follow a recipe. The first time I made it I
    Couldn’t find tapioca flour so I subbed it with svelt flour. I gotta tell ya, by following the directions the crust
    Came out horrible. It had no dough like consistency. It was goeey and too sticky, I had to add at least another
    Cup of flour for it to be doughy. So then I put it in the oven for the allotted time. It was hard as a rock, then adding
    the topping and the other ten minutes made it worse. So, I chalked it up to the svelt flour. Next time I made it
    I was able to use tapioca flour, and it followed the direction to a tee. It came out the same way. Horrible.
    I think I’ll stick with my tried and true wheat crust, yeast rising pizza, which last time I checked can be considered
    paleo. Good luck to those that got it to work.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Sorry it didn’t work out for you. Tapioca flour is truly hard to work with. Also, wheat is a grain so it’s not Paleo.

38. Erika January 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm

It’s amazing how much difference cooking the tapioca flour first makes. I’ve bought an entire box of Chebe pizza crust mix (modified tapioca starch) and have only made it once with so so results. I tried your method and it came out delicious. Omitted the garlic and spices since it’s already included in the mix. Thanks for the great recipe.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 27, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I’m so glad it worked for you Erika!

39. Carolyn Baeta February 1, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I made this tonight and the amount of EVOO was way too much. I held the dough between the parchment paper and poured the excess in the sink. Then I used paper towels to soak up additional oil. This seemed to do the trick and the dough came out of the oven just fine and tasted great. I opted to go for a thicker softer crust and it was perfect. I’ll definitely make this again and just use less oil. My hubby gave it two thumbs up as well!

40. christi February 3, 2014 at 5:32 am

Can this dough be made and then frozen to have on hand to thaw and bake? I work 12hr days with a 40″ drive each way and think it’d be great to come home to ready to bake quickly.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

I had a reader recently share she was able to make a pizza with toppings and cut it into serving and then reheat it when she wanted to enjoy a slice 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!

41. Trish February 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Sorry to say but this turned out to be mess for me. I followed your recipe and method exactly and the parchment paper completely pulled off the Pisa mix that I couldn’t even add almond flour on each side as I kept having to re mix and roll the dough. I finally gave up and put the almond flour in the mix and spread it on a tray and it is now in the oven. I am not hopeful. This was far from easy and my kitchen is a mess!

1. Trish February 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm

*pizza

42. Michele February 23, 2014 at 3:12 am

This was awesome, my son loved it – I doubled it to make a large pizza w/a thick, doughy crust for him & used Kerrygold butter + a little palm shortening & substituted 1 tbs of gelatin, 1/4 cup mashed plantain & 3 tbs Heather’s Tummy Care Fiber for the egg, which worked great. I used a big handful of dried basil, to soak up some of the oil & make it taste phenomenal.

My only issue is there is too much oil in this recipe. I will cut it down by 25% next time. The crust was sodden with oil, squish, squish. I will comment after this modification.

I think maybe being used to working with coconut flour caused the high amount of oil in this recipe? The amount looked very similar to those recipes. Tapioca flour doesn’t absorb nearly as much fat, since it starts out in a fat free product, while coconut flour wants its fat back, and it’s not afraid to show it! (I do understand food doesn’t emote, I promise.)

Anyway, thank you for a great, simple, and pretty darn cheap recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly February 23, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I’m so glad it worked for you and I hope that reducing the oil helps!

1. Michele February 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Ok, so reducing the oil was not good! LOL! My son was like, “See Mom, why don’t you listen to my ideas!!!” He’s 12, LOL. Reducing the oil left it unhappily dried out, and not in a fun, crispy way. In a hurt-your-teeth way!

So, I decided to try a trick I usually do when recipes call for honey/agave nectar (whole milk yogurt + stevia), but without the sweetness. I replaced the entire amount of oil with whole milk yogurt, then worked with & added a little flour it until it was doughy but still a tiny bit sticky, then added about a tablespoon of olive oil, which coated it and allowed it to stretch out over the pan. I’m not sure what true-Paleo substitute one could use for this, but we do fermented dairy. Oh, I also brushed the dough with olive oil prior to cooking & had to poke holes in it with an oily knife so it didn’t balloon up. This worked great!

I double the recipe for a large pizza because my son likes a doughy crust – I will try a small, thin one for myself later this week.

Thank you again for providing this recipe! It’s awesome, especially for people allergic to grains/legumes/potatoes LOL Like myself.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 27, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Oh no! Well I’m glad that you got the recipe dialed in to fit your family Michele! I’m going to have to give you version a try 🙂

43. Amanda February 23, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I was hesitant to try this because of the disclaimer that some people had trouble with the recipe not turning out. Not sure why I continued to proceed as I definitely don’t consider myself an expert cook, nor baker. I had planned to have pizza, by golly, but it was getting late and I had no back up plan if this crust did not pan out. I dove in anyway. 🙂

I made up a batch with olive oil, reasoning it might taste better since I like olive oil. I followed the measurements exactly and what I ended up with was a soppy pile of dough. I found the tapioca dough rather string, too. Uh oh. I spread it out, popped it in the oven and checked on it 15 minutes into the bake time. It was drowning in oil. 🙁

I worried it was not going to turn out well, so I went back and read more of the comments which I should have done the first time. I decided since I had enough flour, I’d make a 2nd crust using red palm oil instead and add more tapioca flour, if needed. I found there was a definite difference in using palm oil vs olive oil. The dough with EVOO was literally dripping and the palm oil dough was not, even though the measurements were the same. But it was still too wet. I added more flour to the dough in 1/4 c increments. I did not track exactly how much more I needed to add in to affect the consistency, but I know I added at least another 1/2 c of tapioca flour. What I was looking for was a dough that reminded me of regular pizza dough and stayed together like regular dough. The first batch was stringy and clumped in wet chunks. The 2nd batch using the palm oil stayed together better but was too wet. After adding the extra flour, it was more doughy like I would expect. It was stickier than some kinds of dough, but not sopping wet. The video really helped me here to see how the dough consistency should look and I was able to make adjustments until I got something that looked similar.

The first batch with EVOO came out of the oven and there was 1/2 inch pool of oil around the crust. I expected the crust to be soggy, but it actually crisped a lot. I rushed off to fan my overly sensitive smoke detector and came back to find the crust had absorbed all of the oil back into itself. There was virtually no visible pooling oil. I broke off a piece and this crust is crunchy, but not rock hard as some crusts I have tried. It was very tasty, but was not what I envision as a pizza crust. I also found it a bit salty. Some might find it has taste that is too greasy, kind of like something deep-fried. I think it reminded me of a type of cracker or maybe if the savory herbs and salt were removed it could actually be used as a pie crust. My husband thought it could be a crouton substitute. I could pick up the whole thing in one piece, it was that crispy.

Pulled out the 2nd crust made with palm oil plus extra flour and wow! It had a delicate crispness on the outside, but it was soft and airy on the inside. It was exactly what I would envision a pizza crust being. Perfect texture! One thing I would change about it is since I had to use more flour, it diluted the crust flavor and made it taste rather bland, so I would add more salt and seasonings. I also wonder what would happen if I added another egg?

The other issue I had with the 2nd crust is when I was trying to spread it out, it kept separating and leaving holes. As I covered up one hole, another one popped up. Even though all the holes were covered up when I put it in the oven, they eventually separated again while baking and the finished crust has holes in it. Guess I’ll have to tweak and figure out what needs to happen to keep the holes from happening. 🙂 This crust was not as crunchy as the first so I would not be able to pick it up without it falling apart. After adding toppings, we did find the very middle slightly soggy, but nothing terrible. I may have also pulled the crust out a few minutes early because I was getting impatient and that could have some bearing on the middle not crisping up as much.

Some other things to maybe keep in mind that I may have done differently from the original recipe:
    * I accidentally turned the oven to 450. Maybe it caused the 1st batch to get too hot and the oil to draw out of it too quickly and caused it to have more of a deep fried crust effect. But, the 2nd batch with palm oil and more flour was just fine at 450. It was actually the perfect texture.
    * I used Shiloh Farms brand of tapioca flour
    * I live at approximately 1100 ft above sea level.
    * I used heavy stainless steel jelly roll pan and silicone baking mats. There was so much oil in the first batch that seeped out, a pan with a rim to contain any oil would be important.
    * I used Nutiva red palm oil instead of regular palm oil. From the research I did, it doesn’t seem that cooking/baking would be affected much by red vs regular palm oil. The red is just less refined and supposedly contains more vitamins/nutrients in it. It may have a slightly different taste, but probably nothing too noticeable. My crust was rather bland, so it wasn’t anything I noticed. However, since it’s a reddish color, it makes everything it touches, including the crust, an orange color.
    * I did not use the almond four/meal at all. I might use it next time and see if it changes the flavor/texture.

Hope that helps someone make any necessary adjustments. It’s the first crust I’ve tried that is grain and dairy free that tastes good and has good texture, not chewy, not rock hard, not doughy or soggy. Just right!. You can leave off the almond flour if you need to be nut free. It would be interesting to know if using an egg substituted would work, too.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 23, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thank you so much for you thorough comment of the process you took to make this recipe. I know it will help other people. The oil being absorbed back into the dough is exactly what I’ve experienced!

44. Carol February 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I find it so interesting that there are just as many stories as to how this crust turned out as there are commenters… No two people have the same oven/kitchen temperature/ingredient consistency apparently! Anyway, here’s my story:
    I halved the recipe, all except for the egg, since I’m just cooking for myself. I used regular unsalted butter instead of olive oil. Then I made 3 small personal-size pizzas, and just spread out the dough with my hands (using the almond meal sprinkled on each) rather than rolling with parchment paper. I baked exactly as you said, and they turned out GREAT. The flavor was spot-on, and the texture was a really good thin crust pizza texture.
    Also, just had to share what I found to be a really good pizza combination: I found a good low sugar bbq sauce and spread a bit of that on each pizza crust. Added some leftover roasted, shredded chicken (combo of white and dark meat). Then topped with a little organic mozzarella, since I can do some occasional organic dairy. I baked that as per your directions for about 10 min, and it turned out perfectly. Delicious BBQ Chicken Pizza!

1. Carol February 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Actually, I forgot to say that I used arrowroot flour instead of tapioca starch, since that’s what I had on hand.

2. Kelly Bejelly February 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thanks so much for you comment Carol. I had to giggle a bit when I read it but I’m so glad that it turned out well for you.

45. Kristen February 26, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi Kelly!
    Just popping in to say that this pizza crust has changed my life. Even my gluten eating husband says, “that is what a pizza crust should always taste like!” Big smiles from Texas- xoxo Kristen

1. Kelly Bejelly February 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Yeah 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed it Kristen!

46. CK February 27, 2014 at 10:48 am

Like lots of people, I found this as delicious as could be! I, too, used coconut flour to soak up some of the extra oil, and it was awesome. I’d like to say the excess oil was a turn off to me… but, um, no way! Thanks for yet ANOTHER awesome idea. -CK

1. Swat March 4, 2014 at 10:34 am

Can you substitute the egg with anything?

1. Kelly Bejelly March 5, 2014 at 7:40 am

Some people have used egg substitutes successfully in this recipe hun.

47. Trish March 11, 2014 at 2:58 am

Hi
    This looks really good! I could live on pizza and have had trouble finding a good healthy replica of the real thing. I’m excited to try this!!
    Any chance you might know how I can use my thermomix to make this dough?

1. Kelly Bejelly March 12, 2014 at 6:23 am

Hi Trish, I have never used a thermomix so unfortunately I am no help. I hope you enjoy it!

48. Theresa March 18, 2014 at 10:25 am

Can I make this egg-free? I may try to sub flax meal egg… Have you tried Chebe mixes? My fav is the All Purpose mix – it’s totally GF, DF, and Grain free…

1. Kelly Bejelly March 19, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi Theresa, I have tried the Chebe mixes and for some odd reason they give me heartburn. You should have no probably making this with an egg replaced. Tapioca flour works wonderfully with them.

49. Yamir March 29, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I’m so glad you posted this recipe. I was looking to make something gluten free that wasn’t like cardboard. I just made it. I just had a little taste from my sons and it seems divine. Mine is in the oven as we speak and I have no idea if I can wait!!! It’s that good and it was very easy to make. Im def sold on this crust. I think it will be my new go to recipe. Thanks a bunch!!!!

50. Laura April 5, 2014 at 10:24 am

My crust is in the oven now. Haven’t had pizza in three months and I am craving for it. I looked in the oven after about 5 minutes and it was drowning in oil, but if I’ve read it correctly, it will soke up the oil after a while in the oven. I am from Europe (The Netherlands to be precise) so I had to get the metric messurements to make it (we don’t use cups). It turns out to be: 180 gr tapioca and 118 ml is half a cup. 350 F is 175 c. I used to make Pão de queijo from tapioca, so the product isn’t completely new (try those! I’ts amazing and I think paleo, I don’t do paleo, just gluten and lactose free, so hard cheeses like parmezan aren’t a real problem). But thanx! I cannot wait for my pizza! (I apologize for any mistakes in my English, as you can read, it is not my first language)

1. Kelly Bejelly April 7, 2014 at 9:01 am

I hope you enjoyed it Laura and thanks for the conversions!

1. Laura April 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm

It was lovely, I enjoyed it for two days in a row. I just think there was a bit too much fat in the crust, especially at the ends that were without sauce and/ or toppings. It had a slightly greasy aftertaste, so I think I’m gonna replace a part of the oil for water. But thanks!

51. Michelle April 19, 2014 at 10:29 am

I am blown away by this recipe! So good. Both of my kids love it and that’s a hard thing to accomplish.

1. Kelly Bejelly April 19, 2014 at 11:45 am

Thanks so much Michelle! I love your photography style!

52. Bonny May 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Can this pizza dough be frozen to be used later?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 2, 2014 at 10:03 am

Bonny, I would prebake it and the freeze it. Does that make sense?

53. Fani May 3, 2014 at 1:31 am

Hi from Indonesia.. ^^
    I’ve just tried making this paleo crush and realized that my dough could not mix together well..
    It looks like shredded coconut…
    I dont know whats wrong with it…
    Any suggestion?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hi Fani! I’m not sure what went wrong to be honest. I have never seen this look like shredded coconut. Perhaps the wrong flour?

54. Ellen May 5, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hi Kelly.
    I have tried this recipe and I loved the crisp crust 🙂
    I hope you don’t mind me translating this recipe to norwegian on my blog., with metric measures.
    I will link to your blog.
    🙂

55. Melissa Valenzuela June 4, 2014 at 9:40 am

One word: AMAZING!!! This recipe was the best. My husband and I both enjoyed it so much. I did not need to make any changes at all. I did place the dough in a round baking pan to get the “pizza feel” This recipe is so great that I am going to make it again tonight but triple it so we can have more! I love the crispiness of the crust. Thank you! I cannot wait to try the other recipes.

1. Kelly Bejelly June 4, 2014 at 10:07 am

Yeah! I’m so glad it worked for you Melissa 🙂 Happy eating hun!

56. joe July 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Have you checked out the nutritional values for tapioca flour? You might want to sit down first because anyone watching their carbs are going to have a fit. 26 carbs per 1/4 cup. Hoooow much tapioca flour is in this?

1. Kelly Bejelly July 7, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Yes, this is NOT low carb and makes for a great treat every now and then.

1. John September 25, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Kelly BeJelly- If that is your real name?? If it is, awesome. if not, even better. Amazing Amazing Amazing. I can’t thank you enough for this recipe.
        I’m embarrassed by and POed at the haters(whom you handled so well) out there who either can’t follow a recipe, can’t modify on the fly or completely change it and complain that it’s not right. Eli “svelt flour” should be taken out back and beaten with a pizza peel.

I tried a bunch of other paleo doughs and most were inedible–I actually threw a pizza away once. But this one–So good. So freakin’ amazingly good. OOOOOOHHH the warm olive oil in a crispy crust and soft middle— fantastic. I even made burger rolls and served up to a couple of friends who loved ’em too.

Thanks so much and keep up the delicious work

John

This is the first time I think I’ve ever commented on a blog

1. Kelly Bejelly September 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm

John, you seriously made my month with this comment and I’m so glad that you enjoyed it hun 🙂

57. Sharon October 13, 2014 at 9:50 am

I was wondering if butter would work instead of olive oil?

58. Aleda December 10, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I did not find this to be nearly as easy as was implied. I probably added an additional cup of various flours in an attempt to get something that resembled dough. The end result tasted good, but my patience was gone and my kitchen was trashed. I’m not sure where I went wrong, as there are so many glowing reviews. I wish it had worked out better!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 27, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hi Aleda, if you look in the post there is a warning about the difficulty some have with this recipe. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you hun.

59. Nancy December 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I just made this and it was delicious. Was wondering if I can make the crust and after cooking it can it be frozen. That would be awesome for a quick meal…

1. Kelly Bejelly December 26, 2014 at 10:31 am

Yes, it can be frozen hun. I’ve had several readers do this 🙂

60. Hazel February 5, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Hi Kelly, i just made a loaf of your sweetbread .We’ve been Paleo for one month and I have to say,this is one of the nicest recipes I’ve made. It came out of the oven, cooled for approx 5 min, and we had to have a slice ( well, maybe two). The consistency was beautiful and moist. It reminded me of molasses cake and sure was good with a lathering of butter! Thankyou for all your wonderful recipes…Hazel BTW, to date, I have lost 13 lbs…not bad for a 60 yr old that doesn’t really exercise….although, I might start so I tone what’s hanging…lol

1. Kelly Bejelly February 24, 2015 at 9:27 am

Thank you Hazel! I’m so glad you enjoyed it hun! Also, congrats on your weight loss and I wish you the best on your health journey.

61. Ashley March 30, 2015 at 11:57 am

You mention almond flour- only a little- in the recipe, but I dont see you adding it in the written recipe nor on the video tutorial- is is unimportant?

Thanks,
    AS

1. Dona August 6, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Can I add a little yeast just for the flavor?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2015 at 11:22 am

I don’t see how that would hurt hun.

62. Susanne May 28, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hello!
    I’m eager to try this recipe, but in the description of the two starches you wrote that they should be mixed with cold liquid to prevent clumping. This recipe says to add the starch to the boiled liquid mixture… Does it not clump?
    Thanks

63. Kim LeCates August 31, 2015 at 10:02 pm

OMG!!! That was the best crust I have ever had, paleo or not. We love crunchy crust pizza but hadn’t found one this good until now. Your recipe was easy to make (thanks for video too, it made it even easier). I have been on a paleo diet since March and have been craving pizza…my husband too. Found your recipe online and with all the great reviews had to give it a try. I made two so we would have leftovers. My husband (who is not on paleo diet) said “that was an awesome pizza…I would give it two and a half thumbs up!!” Thank you, thank you, thank you!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2015 at 11:09 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you both enjoyed it Kim!

64. Kat September 21, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I seriously cannot find the amount of cauliflower in the ingredients listing. Also, the video link isn’t working. I would LOVE to make this!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 21, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I just updated the video link hun. THere is no cauliflower in this recipe!

65. Tiffany December 1, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Hi, I made pizza tonight and used your crust recipe. It was really good, thank you! The center was a little chewy, maybe too much olive oil, but I still really liked it and would make it again! I think I’d try less olive oil? But I still really liked it either way. Thank you!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 18, 2016 at 10:08 am

Yes, you can reduce the oil by 2 tablespoons hun.

66. Lisa December 11, 2015 at 7:31 am

I read a lot of comments that said the tapioca was stringy and difficult to spread and here was my solution. After I added the tapioca to the hot water and stirred I put it in a food processor and ground up the mixture. Then I added the egg and pulsed the processor. Sometimes the dough is a bit sticky so I add a little more flour. And wow it becomes the consistency of regular dough and is very easy to spread or make into rolls. I also do this with your cinnamon roll recipe. Thanks for the great recipes! Pizza night is back!

67. Col January 8, 2016 at 4:59 pm

This is by far the best paleo pizza crust I’ve ever had.

68. Margaret W. January 16, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Have you ever tried coconut oil instead of the EVOO of Palm oil?

69. Joan April 11, 2016 at 6:26 am

BEST pizza crust ever!!! I even think it surpasses the usual wheat pizza dough with which I have had varying successes! This recipe came out perfectly crispy and tasty the very first time. I did find I needed to add a bit more tapioca flour which didn’t hurt. My husband declared it “a winner”! Thanks Kelly!!!!!

70. preety d May 2, 2016 at 6:34 pm

great recipe!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!!!!

71. Andrea September 11, 2016 at 8:34 am

Will arrowroot flour/starch work instead of tapioca? Thank you!

72. Claire Young February 23, 2017 at 2:33 am

Thanks Kelly, you really are worth saving 🙂
    This recipe is awesome!
    My family has been on the Bulletproof diet (gluten free, sugar free, yeast free, organic) for about a year and haven’t had pizza for about a year until we stumbled across your blog. This is now one of our weekend treats on days we are upping starches.
    Have you ever tried substituting the olive oil for avocado oil? I might give that a go next time as it deals better with heat (I believe) than olive oil. Again, thank you!!

73. Wayne Huxhold March 15, 2017 at 11:25 am

I tried to make this dough. I followed the recipe exactly. I ended up adding twice the flour and it was still a sticky mess. This wasted my time, energy, and money. I am now hungry and angry.

74. Judy December 12, 2017 at 1:16 am

I have multiple allergies and have yet to find a recipe to suit for pizza base. Haven’t tried Tapioca flour as yet and would have to leave almond flour out and substitute Olive oil for sunflower but all looking good. Thank you so much.

75. ledgefield February 13, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Made this tonight. Been on paleo diet for 3 weeks now per doc orders and have not been able to have the basic things I take for granted, like pizza. At first I was not crazy about the texture but once it had set it actually got better. The outer crust was crispy, the inner pie was chewy with good texture. I think the only thing I would possibly add would be some sort of yeast to have that nice yeasty bread flavor. Well done.

76. Mary November 28, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Good tasting crust..new to paleo and love this one best so far!

77. Priscilla Gonzalez January 14, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Is there anyway to make the dough to use at a later date or does it have to be rolled out immediately? Thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 18, 2019 at 12:18 pm

You could par bake it and then warm it up later hon. I would recommend that.