100 Squat Challenge Update, Blood Work and it’s Not my Thyroid

Squat workout for a tight butt

I’ve successfully done 100 squats a days since May 27th and honestly without partner in crime Jen from Pretty n’ Paleo battling it out right beside me, I may have quit.  It’s also even more inspiring to me that Jen is 7 months pregnant ya’ll.  No joke.  I couldn’t even walk a quarter of a mile when I was pregnant.  I tried and was miserable.   So that this strong woman is doing this every day is incredible to me.

The third day of the challenge,  I was so sore but I pushed through it and Mr. Bejelly has reported that my butt is looking better, lol.   I can see a difference too and another thing that I love about this workout is that it’s just small amounts of effort throughout the day so I can fit it in.  I was failing at trying to schedule an hour to work out and that constant failure was just another reason why I couldn’t lose weight.

I also had my annual visit with my doctor and ran a bunch of blood work.  My fasting blood sugar was 70. My total cholesterol was 195 (LDL 107, HDL 75, Triglycerides 75) and my thyroid is 100% normal.  Yeah, I was thinking my thyroid was going wonky again like it did post-pregnancy.  By the way, postpartum thyroid issues are very common and I was able to treat mine using a thyroid supplement  and I did also use Lugol’s in conjunction.

This lead to much discussion with my doctor about my adrenals and after more blood work, I have some minor adrenal issues.  I’m taking this adrenal support supplement and I can see some small success with it.  I’m taking it for a month and a half and I’ll report how it’s working.

I’m excited to finally be on the right track and I’m hoping to get to my goal by my birthday!

Also, Heather, I didn’t forget about you.  Are you still in the challenge?

If you want to follow Jen and I along or join us in the insanity you can find us on twitter using the hastag #DO100SQUATS430DAYS

1. Tricia Nightowlmama June 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

keep up the good work I’m glad your getting answers and a great work out

2. LyndaS June 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I am glad your lab work came back ok. I could not do the squats like you do.

3. Jen Kircher June 7, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I can’t belive you mentioned me 🙂 I’ve never been mentioned in a blog 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly June 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Really? Of course, I would mention you 🙂 You’re my partner in crime 🙂

1. Jen June 12, 2013 at 11:52 am

Well I have never been mentioned before 🙂 Its all very exciting! I really want to get my blog and facebook page up and running, so this was a nice little motivation to start brain storming! I was gonna use my whole pregnancy as a good motivation but clearly time has flown by!

1. Kelly Bejelly June 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Let me know when you get your blog up and I’ll do a shout out for ya 🙂 It goes fast, lol. You seriously are just amazing and I don’t know what I would do without having you as a partner in this 🙂

4. nicole @nicky_olea June 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I’m totally sucking at this challenge this month.
    Like REALLY bad. Got to get my butt in gear!!!

Glad it’s not your thyroid and hope it all works out.

1. Kelly Bejelly June 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I hope you can jump into the challenge Nicole 🙂 Good Luck!

5. Donna June 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I would think it would be better to do squats (along with any strength training exercises) every other day to give you muscles time to repair. I really need to start exercising, and squats were always one of my favorites. Glad your lab work came back good!

6. Rachel @ Following In My Shoes June 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’m amazed you can do 100 a day. I absolutely can not.

Your post reminds me that I need to get my Thyroid checked; I am having issues … and there are a lot of Thyroid issues in my family. Sigh…

7. Emily @FamilyNLifeLV June 7, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Good for you! I’m glad your tyroid is okay. That can be so challenging.

8. Theresa June 8, 2013 at 12:56 am

You are amazing!

9. Lolo June 8, 2013 at 10:40 am

This is a great challenge! Glad to hear it is not your thyroid. They can be tricky.

10. Tiff @ Babes and Kids June 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

I so need to do this squat challenge! Interesting about the thyroid levels post partum, no wonder women have issues after babies if their thyroids are wonky.

11. Kathleen June 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I so wanted to do this with you, but with the trip it is just too much to keep track of. I am so glad you are on the right track now and can’t wait to see you meet your goal!

1. Kelly Bejelly June 8, 2013 at 5:50 pm

No worries. Traveling is more than a workout with kiddos. Thanks Kathleen 🙂

12. Stefanie June 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I need to start your 100 squat a day challenge.

13. Penelope (NYC Blogger) June 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm

That is good news about the thyroid (because that seems to affect the whole freaking body so that isn’t something I’d ever want to have a problem with)

14. Colleen June 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I should so try this challenge because I have a big butt and I would love to at least tighten it so when I’m done losing weight it looks awesome!

Congrats on your success so far.

15. Leilani June 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Wow that Jen is supermom! I can’t imagine doing 100 squats a day at this stage of pregnancy. Actually maybe it’ll do me some good and help with all this pain I’m experiencing.

16. Jenn June 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I want to join you! Lost my booty after this last pregnancy.

17. Robin Gagnon {Mom Foodie} June 9, 2013 at 5:20 am

I decided I’m back on diet and exercise regime starting this morning… let’s just say the scale gave me a smack side the head. Snack attackin’ and sloth are a bad combo 😛

18. HilLesha June 9, 2013 at 7:10 am

Wow, that is amazing!

19. Lisa June 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Keep up the good work!

20. Toni June 10, 2013 at 2:26 am

I should try to do this. I have “blogger butt” it’s not near as toned and firm as it used to be so i bet squats would help.

21. Tammy June 10, 2013 at 6:57 am

I’ll leave the “insanity” to you, LOL – but my admiration is definitely there, just not the gumption to do it myself!

22. Deidre Edwards June 10, 2013 at 9:23 am

Congrats! You are an inspiration for me- thanks! Regarding hormone issues, I am really benefitting from reading Dr. Sara Gottfried’s book, The Hormone Cure. Should be in the hands of every woman on the planet! Please check it out. Found myself leaping off the pages, so to speak. (This is not a paid endorsement 🙂 )

1. Kelly Bejelly June 10, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thanks so much for the recommendation 🙂 I’m going to check it out and I hope that you’re well hun.

23. Mellisa June 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Love this challenge. I was looking at a photo of myself from a few years ago and I had realized how much weight I have put on. I really need to get moving!

24. Shell Feis June 16, 2013 at 11:50 pm

What a great challenge! How awesome that you’re seeing results already!

25. Marcie W. June 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

I absolutely despise squats but have noticed that doing them anyway has absolutely perked my booty. The results are enough to keep me going!