My first trimester was rough. Seriously with both boys I developed a super hero’s sense of smell and had to wear two face masks when cooking. It was HELL. I had one charcoal face mask and then a plain one with a vent for breathing. Yes, I seriously wore these and my sea-bands every day for 3 months.
With Bubba I could not eat any carbs. Like none. No rice, no potatoes, no banana. BANANAS! I literally had to run to the bathroom when I had banana. It was the first time I had successfully done Keto and while I love me some fat, the carbs thing was a total bummer.
However one of the many gems that I discovered during this time was Plantains. I remember buying some from the grocery store thinking, why not? I whipped up some plantains fried in coconut oil and I did NOT get sick. I was deliriously happy . I had only thought of using plantains in sweet dishes and this Plantain Empanada recipe is savory fried goodness. Bonus points, it’s also AIP.
- 6 cups water to boil
- 3 large green plantains peeled
- Filling of your Choice
- 2 cups coconut oil to fry
Place a large pot on your stove on medium high heat.
- Slice the peeled plantains in half and place in the water. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the water and place the plantains in your food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place in a bowl and let sit for 4 minutes. It will firm up. Pinch a golf ball size of dough and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll until you have a 6" diameter circle.
- Place whatever filling you want inside. Fold the dough in to a half circle pinch the seams. Repeat until you have used all the dough and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil and the place the empandas in two at time and frying until golden brown, roughly 3 to 4 minutes and flip and repeat. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel. Repeat until all the empandas are cooked.
© 2011-2017, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.