This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 29, 2020
Kid loved, this easy pizza casserole is a lower carb version that the whole family can enjoy! Top with all your favorite pizza toppings!
I can remember clearly the first time I had deep dish pizza. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and it was with tears I bid goodbye to it when I gave up all grains.
Now, you know I eat dairy and some Paleo kids out there don’t but I can not have pizza without cheese. This recipe is both a paleo homage to deep dish pizza and a casserole hence the name.
I didn’t want to mess with a coconut flour crust with this so I used eggplant to line the bottom of my 8″ cast iron pan.
I don’t make a huge batch of this because Mr. Bejelly doesn’t like eggplant and is not big fan of casseroles.
Imagine my surprise when he gobbled up half of this.
Also, I get my Italian sausage bulk from my Italian grocery store so it cooks up like a ground beef. If you get links you’ll need to crumble them up.
Why this recipe works
Pepperoni pizza meets casserole and creates a super simple dish that you can whip up easily.
How to Make This Pizza Casserole Recipe:
Spread a light layer of pizza sauce over the eggplant and top this with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
Notes and Variations
- You can easily add more toppings like black olives, green peppers and keto fettuccine.
- You can make this in a casserole dish versus a large skillet.
If you like this Pizza Casserole recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
This easy, cheesy pizza casserole is the perfect main course!
- Grease your pan with the coconut oil and line with the strips of eggplant. You only want one layer of eggplant (you might have extra).
- Spread a light layer of pizza sauce over the eggplant and top this with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Next add all the Italian pork sausage and top with the rest of the mozzarella and half of the balance of the parmesan
- Spread a layer of marinara over it all and put in your oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Six minutes before the pizza is complete, take the pan out of the oven and cover with the rest of the parmesan. Garnish with Italian parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1133mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g