This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on February 15, 2021
Pets offer an endless amount of joy and companionship, even when they manage to get themselves into trouble. Doggy parents everywhere can attest to how much our four-legged friends enjoy getting into things they have no business touching, such as the garbage. The best way I have found to keep my trash where it belongs is with a dog proof trash can.
Do Dog Proof Trash Cans Really Work?
Keeping dogs out of the trash can take a lot of effort if you have a particularly stubborn breed. Good training is the best way to prevent your dog from getting into the trash which can be further reinforced with a secured trash can. High-quality dog proof trash cans that feature a sturdy base to prevent tipping and a solid lid are highly effective in keeping curious pets and even small children from going through the garbage. Beware of budget dog-proof trash cans, however. Flimsy construction won’t do much to keep them out for very long.
How To Choose The Best Dog Proof Trash Can
Buying the right dog proof trash can is more than simply buying one with a lock or even a heavy lid. There are a few features to consider that will be useful in keeping your pet out of the garbage and in helping you to keep your home clean. Some features to look for are:
- Minimal touch or foot-activated opening
- A design that saves space
- Odor reducing features
- A trash can that easily fits standard trash bags
- High-quality material and durable construction
Your budget will also play a big role in the type of dog proof trash can you purchase. There is a range of cans, but always choose the best one on the market that falls within your desired budget. Stupidly expensive doesn’t always mean that it will offer the best protection, and dirt cheap is generally never a good idea. Make a point of checking the quality, durability, operability, and then think about the price.
Why It Is Important To Keep Dogs Out Of The Trash
In my home, a dog proof trash can is not just a simple luxury, it’s completely essential. Dogs are naturally curious and that trait will take them from the trash to every other part of the home. Trash cans are full of soiled items that are a breeding ground for mold, bacteria, and more. This will not only cover the dog’s fur but also every surface they touch post trashcan dive. Trash cans can also pose a danger to the animal’s health via choking hazards and things that can cause intestinal distress. There is customarily all manner of used cleaning products, chemicals, and detergents in the trash that can harm dogs or even children if they are inadvertently exposed. Dogs, moreover, possess sensitive noses and paws which can suffer cuts or punctures during a trashcan dive.
What To Look For In A Good Dog Proof Trash Can
There are quite a few dog proof trash cans to choose from on the market. Some work better than others while a few of them are not worth your money. Comprehending what to look for in a dog proof trash can will allow you to keep your dog safe and maintain cleanliness at the same time. There are a couple of features that we suggest keeping an eye out for regardless of the brand or model you choose. Always pick a dog proof trash can that has a sturdy construction and one that is made from durable materials. Dogs are remarkably strong and intelligent, so a flimsy trash can won’t stop them from exploring. A secure lid is critical for any dog proof trash can. This will keep dogs out and will also prevent spills if they manage to tip the can over. It is a good idea to use a trashcan that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Top 4 Dog Proof Trash Can Reviews
Knowing you need a dog proof waste disposal system is one thing, actually finding one that fits your needs is another. We have reviewed a few of the best models on the market in terms of usability and price to help you on your search.
- Touchless automatic lid – Simply open the lid with the wave of a hand to initiate the infrared sensor. Once the butterfly lid opens, 6 red dots will appear on the display counting down until automatic closure.
- Perfect size without compromise – At 68 liters (18 gallons), the rectangular shaped sensor bin can be positioned in many different areas throughout the kitchen. What's more, the 14 1/2" diameter allows for disposal of extra large pizza boxes and other larger items.
- Smart bag retainer ring – Merely place the bag around the folding retainer ring to quickly and securely replace the trash bag.
- Adjustable sensor – Tired of having the dog activate the sensor? Or don't want to activate it on accident by walking by? Position the infrared sensor to open the lid from either the front or on top of the bin for flexible motion fields.
- Optional manual operation – Need more time to dispose waste? Easily keep the lid open with the press of a button – open will activate the lid and close will softly close the lid.
This is a great model for medium-sized families looking for a butterfly opening on a budget. The brushed steel exterior is a classic touch and will easily match just about any decor. I have a medium-sized dog and he is unable to force the lid open or knock over the trash can when place next to the wall. The opening is also hands-free so you don’t have to worry about germs or cross-contamination, but there is a handle if you need to manually operate the trash can.
- Uses standard garbage bags
- Has a handle to lift the lid manually
- Soft-close for soundless waste management
- Easy lock system to keep pets out
- Attractive design
- Slim profile for smaller apartments
- The hinge on the lid can be wonky
- Won’t sit flat against the wall if open
- The sensors may not always register movement
- Durable, but scratches easily
- 10-Year Warranty - We use the best materials and solid engineering so our products will last in tough environments like your home for years
- Enhance Your Trash Experience - Extra-strong and durable Code D custom fit liners fit this can perfectly for a cleaner trash experience
- Innovative Butterfly Lid - Innovative split doors open from the center for maximum clearance under low countertops
- Dual Compartments: One side for trash, one side for easy disposal of recyclables
- Strong Wide Steel Pedal - Engineered to last 150,000 steps; that's more than 20 steps a day for 20 years
The Simplehuman Butterfly Trash Can is designed with naughty dogs in mind. Not only has it been effective in keeping my toy poodle out of the trash, but it has also made waste management simpler. The trash can opens with a step pedal which triggers the opening. The butterfly opening looks attractive while also being too difficult for even smart dogs to manipulate. Made from durable stainless steel, this model can be used in kitchens, basements, outdoors, or anywhere that needs an effective method of keeping the dogs out of the trash.
- The surface resists fingerprints and handprints
- Silent lid for discrete waste management
- Slim profile allows for creative placement
- Fits standard garbage bags
- Two sides for easy garbage sorting
- The lip lid area can gather dust and grime easily
- Garbage bins need to be fit perfectly or the lid won’t close
- The unit gathers nicks and dents easily
- UNCONDITIONAL PROMISE – Your 100% satisfaction is assured and backed by a Full-Service Manufacturer's Promise for two years, including Dedicated Customer Support (see user manual for details)
- 100% TOUCHLESS – Just the motion of your hand opens the lid automatically! It’s the hygienic and convenient choice.
- STOP TRASH ODORS + IMPROVE AIR QUALITY – 1 AbsorbX Natural Activated Carbon Odor Filter is included to absorb and neutralize trash odors, for a healthier and fresh and clean smelling home
- 2 POWER OPTIONS – Powered by batteries (not included), or optional AC Adapter (sold separately, see other product variation) for battery-free power
- BEAUTIFUL STAINLESS STEEL – Fingerprint-proof surface is easy to clean. Modern design is perfect for any kitchen or office décor
The iTouchless is a great model for those who want to avoid opening and closing the trashcan with their hands. You wave it to open and for me, this is one of the best features. If you are carrying something such as a few plates, or even a child, manual operation can be difficult, The carbon filter is also a great touch that helps to battle normal kitchen odors. The lid is a bit weak, but for homes, with smaller dogs, it will be efficient in keeping them out of the garbage.
- Odor blocking
- Touchless Entry
- Multi-function pet lock
- Aesthetically pleasing stainless steel design
- Dual power source
- There is no manual foot opener
- The lid is poorly constructed
- AC power cord is sold separately
- Only suitable for smaller homes or apartments
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY - We use the best materials and solid engineering so our products will last in tough environments like your home — for years.
- CODE P CUSTOM FIT LINERS – Enhance your trash experience with extra-strong and durable trash bags that fit this can perfectly for a cleaner trash experience.
- LOCK THE LID SHUT - A slide lock securely locks the lid to help keep pets and curious children from getting into the trash.
- STRONG STEEL PEDAL - Engineered to last 150,000 steps - that's more than 20 steps a day for 20 years.
- SILENT CLOSE LID - Patented lid shox technology controls the motion of the lid for a slow, silent, quiet close – no banging or loud noises.
This has to be my favorite in terms of aesthetics. The soft matte black suites just about any aesthetic and the half-circle design allow it to be pushed flush against the wall. Big dogs take up a lot of room and can tip over a trash can if they have space to run around it, but with this one that is no longer a problem. The steel pedal allows for hands-free opening and is made of sturdy steel for longevity. At 50 liters this dog-proof trash can is ideal for homes with larger families.
- Durable construction
- Larger capacity
- Hard to tip over
- Silent lid closure
- Available in several colors
- Lockable lid to keep pets out
- Uses custom trash bags
- The non-sealing lid allows odors to seep out
- If not placed against a wall or island it is easy to knock over
- Hard to enforce the warranty
- Narrow bottom
Our Top Dog Proof Trash Can Pick
Trying to keep fluffy out of the garbage can be difficult, but with the right dog proof trash can and some training, it’s definitely possible. The five models above all will work to keep your pet out of the trash, however, the Simplehuman Butterfly Trash Can is the best out of the options listed.
The Simplehuman Butterfly Trash Can is made from high-quality materials and is well-built. It is affordable but also aesthetically pleasing. The unique opening allows you to quickly dispose of waste even if your curious pet is underfoot. Homes of all sizes can easily accommodate this model, and the price is also wallet-friendly. With two compartments for easy sorting, there is no reason to get another trash can just for recyclables. A rugged construction is significant when choosing a dog proof trash can, but always consider the personality of your pet when making a purchase.