January 31, 2012   By Kelly Bejelly

Paleo Carrot Cake using Coconut Flour

Carrot Cake is my favorite cake hands down so it’s no surprise that it was my first gluten-free recipe.  My mother only bought vanilla cake or chocolate cake mixes so I can remember clearly the first time I had it.  I was living in Australia and attending the birthday of a friend who turning the old age of 6.

In my family, food comes first,  so I checked out the cake early on and saw that it was a strange gold color with specks of orange.    Little did I know that by the end of the party I would be a carrot cake convert and want it for my birthday every year.  You can easily turn these coconut flour carrot cupcakes into a cake but you will want to double the recipe.  I personally don’t want another pan to clean!

I hope that you enjoy it!Paleo Carrot Cupcakes using Coconut Flour

Paleo Carrot Cake using Coconut Flour

Coconut Flour Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

cake

frosting

• 8 oz package of cream cheese softened
  • 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, ghee, vanilla, honey and applesauce until completely blended with an electric beater
  2. Next add the baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and sifted coconut flour into the wet ingredients.
  3. Mix until fully blended.
  4. Last but not the least add the grated carrots and raisins and mix with a spoon.
  5. Pour your batter in to 12 cupcake tins and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
  6. For the frosting, add the cream cheese, maple syrup and lemon to a blow and with a hand mixer blend together all the ingredients until smooth.
  7. Apply to the cooled carrot cake cupcakes.
  8. Enjoy!

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• March 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hey! Thx for the coconut flour recipe! I won a free bag of coconut flour several months ago and had no clue what to do with it. lol Couldn’t find any recipes online. Go figure. My son’s on a gluten free diet, and I’m sure he’ll love this!
    ~Wendy

• Author
      March 16, 2012 at 8:53 pm

You’re welcome Wendy. It’s a really yummy recipe and pretty low in sugar.

• June 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

I want to try your recipe!

• LisaP
    June 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm

This recipe is great. My 6 yer old was just diagnosed with a wheat sensitivity and I stumbled upon your recipe. Just made the cupcakes tonight. So good! My son likes them without icing. Thanks for sharing!

• Author
      June 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I’m so happy that you enjoyed them!

• June 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My paleo friend would so thank me for these! 🙂

• July 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh yum these look good

• August 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I need to try these! They look amazing!

• Meredith
    September 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Any idea how to effectively substitute that much egg?! I usually use apple sauce but last time with a different carrot cake recipe and all it did was make breadcrumbs! I know I can use chia seeds or the no egg but anyone tried it and how much? Should the cake consistency be a bit runny and sticking together rather than bread crumbs?! Thanks for any advice, guidance or help!

• HP
    December 9, 2014 at 2:04 am

Thanks for this recipe…for some reason (most likely user problem), my muffins came out very wet…. is this how it is supposed to be?

• December 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Strange. Perhaps up the cook time to 30 mintues?

• Roki
    April 25, 2015 at 9:06 pm

My SO has gluten sensitivity and recently said “I miss carrot cake :(” So I embarked on an exhaustive internet search and found these beauties! he LOVED them….thank you for the post! It’s nice to make things he enjoys since his medical condition has sucked the joy out of much of his diet.. They do come out a bit wet, but I just flip them over in the same cupcake tin and put them back in the oven for a few minutes with the over off (after cooling them a bit) and that dries them up. nicely

• April 25, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I’m so glad he enjoyed them Roki and great tip!