March 25, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo cinnamon cereal

Oh mama this is good. It’s light and has an incredible sweet crisp finish that reminds me of exactly of paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It also makes the perfect sweet crackers for snacking – hence why we ate the entire batch in the first day. I knew that I had hit my goal when Mr. Bejelly told me they reminded him of cereal after his first bite.

Now the trick is to roll them fairly thin so they get crunchy – I’d try to stay at 1/4″ thick or less. Any thicker than this and it’s a soft graham cracker type consistency. They will get a little darker brown when baking but the taste only improves.

paleo cinnamon cereal

paleo recipe cookbook

paleo cinnamon cereal

Paleo Cinnamon Square Crunch Cereal

Course: Paleo Cereal

1. In a blender or food processor, add the coconut shreds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds , cinnamon and sea salt. Pulse until you have a flour.
  2. Place the flour in a small mixing bowl and add the maple syrup and egg.
  3. Blend well.
  4. Scoop the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper.
  5. Roll until you have a rectangle, roughly 8" x 10" and 1/4" thick.
  6. Remove the top sheet and pre-cut the dough into 1/2" x 1/2" squares.
  7. Place the parchment paper on a baking sheet and cook at 325 for 20 - 25 minutes until dark brown.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

gluten free cereal paleo cinnamon toast crunch

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: A Girl Worth Saving may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Elle
    March 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

Silly question I’m sure but is there no cinnamon in the recipe?

• March 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Whoops, lol. Yes, 1 tbsp of cinnamon and thanks I have update the recipe 🙂

• March 25, 2013 at 10:31 am

Looks great, I love cinnamon cereals.

• Lola
    March 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

There’s no cinnamon listed in the ingredient list. Is that on purpose?

This looks great though. I used to love CTC.

• March 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

Ha, nope. Just spinning too many plates on my end, lol. 1 tbsp of cinnamon and I’ve updated the recipe so thank you!

• March 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Aren’t you creative! I will have to try this. Hubs misses his cinnamon toast crunch.

• March 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

This sounds delicious!

• March 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm

We love cinnamon in our house too 🙂 We go through a 1 lb a year.

• Kelly M
        September 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Do you get the Ceylon Cinnamon? It is suppose to be the healthier kind. I bought a 1 pound bag of Frontier brand organic Ceylon. It tastes a little bit different but it tastes just as good.

• September 12, 2014 at 9:27 am

I used Cassia. I’ll have to try it with the Ceylon.

• March 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm

look good! I want to eat them though this screen!

• Danielle
    March 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Don’t have any chia seeds at the moment, do you think ground flax would suffice?

• March 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I haven’t tried flax but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

• March 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm

That looks super good!

• March 26, 2013 at 4:54 am

This sounds fabulous. I love cinnamon toast crunch.

• March 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

here you go again with your cereal genius. I love cinnamon squares!

• March 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

these look great Kelly. I need some new grain free breakfast ideas as M’s protocol has changed and we need to drop as much grain as possible for him.

• March 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Chris buys Cinnamon Toast Crunch all the time. He hides it in the back of the pantry, but I find it and break down and eat it. Sigh. This version sounds a lot tastier, though–I much prefer seeds and coconut and maple to white sugar and flour!

• minna
    March 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Oh mama…you are so right!!! These are addictively good! I made these this morning and I practically ate the whole batch myself! They are super easy to make too! Thanks for a great recipe!

• March 26, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Minna! I’ve made 4 batches since I shared this and I’m going to have to bake up more before the weekend. We destroyed them, lol.

• March 27, 2013 at 8:16 am

I’m far from being a natural/paleo type person, but these sound super delicious and I’m going to bookmark this for when I feel adventurous in the kitchen!

• March 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

If you try it, I hope that you like it 🙂

• March 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

This looks so healthy and good. Thanks for sharing.

• March 28, 2013 at 7:12 am

I would never even think to make homemade cereal. Really. You are amazing, Kelly!

• March 29, 2013 at 8:18 am

A healthier, more natural version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch? Yes PLEASE!

• March 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This looks PHENOMENAL!
    This is definitely one of the things I miss about gluten: breakfast cereal!
    I will definitely be trying this in the near future. 🙂

• March 30, 2013 at 6:05 pm

MMM I think this would be wonderful!!

• March 31, 2013 at 10:57 am

Yum! That look just like real non-Paleo cereal.

• March 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I would LOVE to try this cereal. Yummy!

• Nessa
    April 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I made this with 3/4 cup of coconut flour instead of grinding my coconut in the food processor. It worked great! My very non-paleo sister was in visiting me, and it was all I could do to get her to stop eating the dough before I had even baked it. Her response was, “It really DOES taste like cinnamon toast crunch.”

I love that these are only mildly sweet and that the cinnamon is the star. Thanks for yet another great recipe. First cinnamon rolls, and now these . . . You are making my husband one happy and more accepting Paleo convert. Haha.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

Aw, thanks Nessa 🙂 You really made my week with this comment. Good to hear that flour worked out well too 🙂

• Stephanie
    April 5, 2013 at 7:47 am

Possible to make without coconut?
    I’m allergic 🙁

• April 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

Oh no hun, honestly, I don’t think there is an equivalent substitute. The coconut keeps it very light. Hrmm. .. I just did a quick search on possible substitute and found something about using dried fruit. It would be much sweeter but it sounds like it may work.

• Louis
      February 9, 2016 at 10:46 am

Try almond flour or almonds as a substitute for coconut, I haven’t tried it in this recipe, but it seems to work in other recipes.

Kelly, This is a wonderful recipe, thank you for coming up with it. I thought at first, that 1 tablespoon was too much cinnamon, but it works.

• Jen
    April 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Hi there. Mine turned into a delicious gooey mess that didn’t roll out successfully. I did use flaxseed (ground in place of chia). perhaps i should add more sesame to add some dry texture back in. Any ideas?

• April 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm

You could try adding some coconut flour to thicken it? I haven’t made it with flaxseed but I did just make it with only coconut shreds and sunflower seeds and it came out great.

• Jen
    April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Thanks! I will definitely try again!

• Jen
    April 6, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I tried again without the chia and found it lovely. What’s the trick for cutting them though? My pieces were all whacky as my knife dragged little bits as I pulled it through. Sorry, rookie here.

• April 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

I cut them before I bake them 🙂 I would simply press the knife down onto the dough. If you’re still having issues, wet the knife.

• Angela
    April 7, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thank you! Delicious!

• April 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

Aw, thanks Angela 🙂 I’m so glad that you liked it 🙂

• May 1, 2013 at 10:34 am

I made these as listed and it was too sticky with the parchment paper on top..so I just spread it on,baked it a bit, then rolled it out to be even and then cut it…then baked the rest of the time..taste is fabulous! I did a cinnamon flax crunch cereal and a chocolate version too on my blog, rantsrevelationsandrecipes.wordpress.com. thanks for this one!

• Bianca Montes
    May 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

GREAT recipe! I didn’t have sunflower seeds so we subbed with hemp seeds. They worked perfectly. My 10 year old said she was sure they would and she was right :). They are pretty mild tasting just like sunflower seeds.

• May 8, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Cool beans 🙂 I’m glad it work for you. This is seriously one of my favorites.

• Amber
    July 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Can I replace the maple syrup with honey? Will that work?

• Rachel
    July 26, 2013 at 11:56 am

I really liked this both as cereal and as a graham cracker like snack. After baking for about 15 minutes, mine was pretty done on the edges, but still soft in the middle. I took it out, turned the oven off, separated the pieces from each other and then put it back in the oven with the door closed to crisp up as the oven cooled down for the next hour or so. That worked perfectly and crisped it up all the pieces really well.

• Jaclyn
    September 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm

what can i use instead of the coconut shreds?

• September 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Jaclyn, honestly, I do not think you can replace the coconut shreds and have this come out right. It gives it a crisp, sweet bite similar to Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I’m sorry hun.

• beth
    September 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm

how key are the chia seeds? not something I keep around but I really want to make this!

• September 7, 2013 at 4:09 pm

You can skip them – I’ve done this many times – and it comes out perfectly!

• beth
        September 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

great, thanks! cereal is my favorite late-night snack but of course it’s also one of the worst things you can eat so I’m excited to try this!

• September 7, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’ve gotten lots of positive feedback on this recipe, and, it’s my kiddos favorite so I hope it becomes one of yours 🙂

• Catherine
    October 13, 2013 at 5:48 am

Just finished my first batch and my boys and I are DEVOURING it! We’re not paleo but I’m constantly on the hunt for healthy alternatives to processed food. My oldest boy is 4 and hasn’t ever had CTC, or anything other than ‘healthy’ processed breakfast cereals when visiting grandma and grandpa, so he thinks these are the real deal and the Best Cereal! Thank you!

• October 13, 2013 at 10:26 am

You are so welcome Catherine!! It’s one of my favorite for sure 🙂

• Stephanie
    October 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Made it. Love it! Made two more batches!!!!! Thank you! I’m having a blast with the recipes from your site.

• October 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Yeah! I’m so glad you are enjoying it. It’s an addictive recipe 🙂

• julie
    December 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Very Yummy! My 3 year old loved them too and he’s ridiculously finicky. How do you think it would taste with some coconut sugar on top? Would you recommend baking it with it?

• December 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm

That sounds good and would just increase the crispy sweet texture 🙂 I’m so glad you both loved it 🙂

• Amy
    January 27, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I made these for my 5 year old son who was placed on an elimination diet as we are trying to nail down his allergies and sensitivities which cause chronic eczema. I had to tweak this a little to match what he’s allowed to have right now. He has a known allergy to egg so I used about 1 heaping Tablespoon of chia seeds in the flour mixture than replaced the egg with ground chia seeds and water. He’s not allowed to have maple syrup right now so I replaced it with the same amount of coconut sugar. The dough was pretty easy to work with and it tasted good and smelled amazing while baking. Finished product turned out well! He likes it and it got nice and crispy. Thank you!

• January 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Thanks so much for the comment Amy 🙂 I’m so glad you both enjoyed it!

• Sandra Therrien
    February 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I am so making these tomorrow morning! Can’t wait to wake up and get baking, they sound delicious! Love you Kelly Bejelly!

• Shannon
    February 15, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Doing a whole30 paleo program and can’t have added sugar… Can fruit juice replace honey? I was thinking apple?

• February 16, 2014 at 10:36 am

I don’t think that would work because the consistency is not the same. What about apple butter?

• Amanda
    March 2, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Awesome recipe! Didn’t have sunflower seeds, so I used macadamia nuts, same measurement and I didn’t have chia seeds so I used whole flax seeds I. Same amount. It was an amazing tasting snack/cereal/cracker for my whole family. I will make it again today but will experiment using an icing bag with a very large round tip and just pipe onto the parchment or silpat and dehydrate at a low temp rather than bake. It’ll take longer but I am hoping for a more uniform crunchy cereal type of result. Can’t beat the taste though!!! We make these every week 🙂

• Karyn
    April 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I know this is an old post but do you think you could store this long term some way? I would love to make a big batch for my kids for after the baby is born but am wondering if it would hold up in the freezer? Can’t wait to try it this weekend.

• April 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi Karyn, I have never frozen this as it disappears quickly in our house. I don’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well though. Please share your results!

• Linee
    May 29, 2014 at 5:46 am

Hi, I used all your ingredients to the same measurements and my “dough” was very runny. Would not be able to cut it. What did I do wrong? How long do you pulse your ingredients for?

• May 29, 2014 at 11:21 am

I would think probably 30 seconds at most. Did you try adding more seed flour to thicken it?

• amber
    June 8, 2014 at 10:54 pm

You LITERALLY saved my life. This year I have begun my paleo journey and my mom found this recipe. I was JUST talking about how much I missed cereal!! I am definitely going to try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

• June
    July 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Kelly, I just made this cereal and it is delicious! The dough was very easy to roll and the taste is unbelievable…so nice to have cereal again!

I used a flax egg in mine and it worked fine, but I did have to cook it longer. After 20 minutes, I flipped it, separated the pieces and cooked an additional 25-30 minutes.

Thank you for this wonderful treat!

June

• July 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I’m so glad you enjoyed it June!

• August 8, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Love this cereal it tastes great and so easy to make!

• August 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm

This is DELICIOUS! My neighbour just made this for me and I had to get the recipe myself because it is so, so good. It is so great to have something that my tummy can actually digest and it tastes amazing. Thank you!!

• Janay
    September 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I just made them for the first time and I love them. The real test will be if my husband likes them because he LOVES cereal. As newbies to Paleo eating I am so grateful for the simplicity! Thanks so much!!!

• September 23, 2014 at 7:18 am

Yeah! I hope he enjoys them also Janay!

• Nicole
    October 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm

These look delicious! My kids are excited to try them. I am allergic to eggs, do you have any suggestions for an egg free version?
    Thanks for your time!

• Neyri
    November 15, 2014 at 8:42 am

I almost felt like this recipe was too good to be true, and after reading all the awesome comments I knew I had to try it. Reiterating what plenty of others have said about the cereal: THANK YOU! It is truly going to satisfy my cereal craving. I will probably always have these in my pantry from now on. Anyone reading these comments, don’t hesitate and make this recipe right now (or some time today).

• November 15, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it hun!

• Denise Hicks
    December 7, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I just made these. Delicious. My Mr. who was missing his cereal is very happy.

• December 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed it hun!

• Michelle
    March 13, 2015 at 7:03 am

I made this cereal and its SOOOO good! It holds up in a bowl of cold milk. It doesnt get soft and mushy, but stays hard and crunchy! Its very filling, I am not hungry after eating a bowl. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. Off to make a few more batches!!!!

• Jenmom
    October 1, 2015 at 5:45 am

Hi Kelly! Just wanted to thank you for a great recipe! We’ve enjoyed these for about a year now either as a snack or cereal w/ nut milk. With 5 kids from teenager to 6yo, (+ Dad and Mom) this gets a 5 star rating. Great job and thank you so much for sharing!

• October 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Aw, so happy you all enjoyed it hun!

• Erica
    January 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Yah! Thank God! Hallelujah! A crunchy cereal I can eat! Mine came out perfect! I added flax seeds too. I actually used a pizza cutter to cut the dough in the cookie sheet before I put them in the oven. It took 30 seconds and when they were done they popped right out! Thank you so much for this recipe!

• Hannah
    May 26, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Just bought all the ingredients and can’t wait to make tomorrow! My question is: Is this eaten warm? And is there a way to preserve this? Is it OK in the fridge or what would you recommend?

• May 27, 2016 at 11:58 am

I would store it in an air tight container on your counter hun. I don’t normally eat it warm but you can 🙂

• Cesar Chin
    August 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Please Respond!

I tried serving this to 8 of my friends but the servings were to small! How did you calculate that this recipe was 8 servings? In other words, how much would each service be? 1 cup? 5oz? Etc.

Thanks!

• August 21, 2016 at 11:34 am

Hi Hun, a serving is 1/2 cup. I will be say we always eat way more than this and one batch would feed 3 adults.

• Alissa
    March 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I’m curious how you pre cut these? I’m making them and finding that with the syrup it’s so sticky it doesn’t really “cut” beforehand.

• Katie
    June 25, 2017 at 6:14 pm

What could I use instead of sunflower seeds?