October 28, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo calzone

I have a cold. Yeah, it sucks. Nothing tastes right and I even missed my chance to meet up with Kelly from the Spunky Coconut when she was in town (see my review and giveaway for her new book here).  Anyhow, back to my cold and the fact that I had to change direction with what I was going to share today.    It didn’t take me very long to think it was time to share a Paleo Calzone.  Oh mama, even with my taste buds slightly deadened I didn’t want to share my Calzone with Little.  That’s pretty messed up, right?

paleo calzone

A couple of tips – don’t make them huge.  Mine was probably 5″ tall and 7″ wide.  At first I made a huge one and it fell to pieces.    This recipe will make two calzones and you might, like myself, have to close some of the cracks in the dough with the  “extra” dough the recipe makes.

paleo calzone

paleo calzone

Paleo Calzone

Course: dinner
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

1. Place the coconut oil, water, sea salt and spices in a small pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Remove from the stove, add in the tapioca flour and mix.
  3. Let this cool for 3- 4 minutes and then add in the coconut flour, egg and egg yolk.
  4. Mix and then knead for 1 minute.
  5. Roll out the dough into 3 balls. Take one ball and place between two sheets of parchment paper into roughly a 4″ x 7″ rectangle that is 1/4" - 1/2" thick.
  6. Make sure you can flip it in half without it breaking completely (there will be small breaks). If it has too many cracks make it slightly smaller.
  7. Fill with your choice of toppings.
  8. Flip in half. Pinch closed. To repair any cracks, pinch the dough off one of the balls and use it to do this.
  9. Repeat.
  10. Pick up the piece of parchment paper with the Calzones in place and move to a stainless steel baking sheet.
  11. Beat the egg white you saved and brush it over the top of your two Calzones.
  12. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.
  13. Eat!

paleo calzone

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• October 28, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh that looks yummy! I’m going to have a friend visit soon, and I think Calzones will have to be on the menu for that evening, she loves them and since she eats Paleo it will be perfect.

• October 28, 2013 at 12:23 pm

This looks delicious! Perfect for a girl’s night in or for one of those nights when comfort food is a “must”. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

• Theresa
    October 28, 2013 at 12:48 pm

This looks delicious! And perfect for a day like today. Is there a suitable substitute for the tapioca flour?

• October 28, 2013 at 9:40 pm

You had me with the spinach and cheese. Looks amazing and would be fun to try to make them.

• October 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

I haven’t had a calzone in ages. I love em!

• November 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

I really wish I could just eat this right now. It looks SO good!

• November 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I think my husband would love this – and if I was quiet about it, he might not even know it was paleo 🙂

• Nina
    January 5, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hi Kelly! I love so many of your recipes and you’ve surely gotten my husband and I through the tough road of eating paleo. Thanks for all you do and for creating these awesome recipes to look forward to. One question on this, should I add the egg yolk or egg white into the mixture? The instructions list the yolk as going in both the mixture and spreading it on top afterwards.
    Thanks!! Nina

• January 18, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hi Nina! Ops, it should be egg white at the end. I just updated it.

• December 2, 2017 at 10:24 am

I’d love to make this for my son who is new to the paleo diet. We are in an adjustment period of finding the convenience factor within the diet. Can these be premade and stored in freezer until ready to heat. If so, what would you recommend for reheating?

• December 2, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Yes, parbake them and freeze and then finish them in the oven 🙂 Enjoy hun!