This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Some of my absolute favorite recipes are simple and quick and require nothing but the simplest seasonings like salt, pepper and garlic powder.
This recipe is one from my childhood with a twist.
After falling in love with Swedish meatballs, I started adding grated onion to this recipe and WOW, it’s amazing how it completely changed the flavor.
I finally wrote down this Hamburger Steak with Brown Gravy recipe when I was in the middle of creating my newest book Paleo Eats but instead of tucking it away in a book, I felt it needed to be shared with everyone.
This recipe is named for the lovely Jane P.
- 1/2 onion, grated or pulse in your food processor until completely minced
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lb hamburger
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons cassava flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, spices and grated onion and mix with your hands until completely blended.
- Form the meat into 5 hamburger steak patties, about 1 1/2" thick. Add the hamburger steak patties to the skillet and cook until browned, roughly 4 minutes and flip and repeat.
- Remove the hamburger steak patties and place on a plate. In a bowl, combine the gravy ingredients and whisk until blended.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and use a spoon to scrape the drippings into the gravy. Whisk with a fork until smooth and then add in the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the hamburger steak patties back into the gravy and warm for 5 minutes and then serve.