This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 28, 2020
Chocolate, cinnamon and almond butter make this chicken mole authentic as well as low carb and Keto! This Mexican recipe is smokey and slightly bitter.
When this recipe for Chocolate Chicken Mole was bubbling away in the slow cooker, my stomach would not stop constantly screaming to eat.
I felt like it had turned into a toddler having a temper tantrum over some candy.
It was so stinking good, I ate seconds. Almost like the time we made this delicious instant pot Mexican chicken recipe.
This book is a gorgeous testimony to Paleo eating and, I’m just going to say, BUY IT!
Just do it.
What you’ll need for this Recipe:
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Whole tomatoes
- New Mexico chili peppers
- Creamy Almond Butter
- Dark chocolate, 70% or above
- Sea salt
- Cumin powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Guajillpo chili powder
How to Make This Chicken Mole Recipe:
Generous salt and pepper the chicken.
Place a pan over medium heat and add the ghee.
Once the ghee has warmed, add the chicken and brown on all sizes. This may need to be done in batches.
Move the chicken to slow cooker.
Add onion to the same pan and saute until translucent.
Add garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
Add the tomatoes, chili peppers, almond butter, dark chocolate, salt and spices to the slow cooker.
Cook on low to 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily.
Top mole with the avocado, cilantro and jalapeno and serve!
If you like this Chocolate Chicken Mole recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
This mexican recipe uses a chocolate mole sauce that is rich with spices and just a touch of bitterness in this Chicken Mole recipe
- 2 lbs chicken pieces bone in, breasts and legs work well, Skin removed
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste., to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 6 - 7 whole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 5 dried New Mexico chili peppers, rehydrated and chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy Almond Butter
- 2.5 oz dark chocolate, 70% or above
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon power
- 1/2 tsp guajillpo chili powder
- avocado, cilantro and jalapeno, all chopped.
- Generous salt and pepper the chicken.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add the ghee.
- Once the ghee has warmed, add the chicken and brown on all sizes. This may need to be done in batches.
- Move the chicken to slow cooker.
- Add onion to the same pan and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, chili peppers, almond butter, dark chocolate, salt and spices to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low to 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily.
- Top mole with the avocado, cilantro and jalapeno and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 27g
Recipe reprinted with the express permission from Arsy @ Rubies and Radishes.