Looking for a chili without tomatoes? This no tomato chili is savory and hearty and filling. This easy recipe make the perfect lunch or dinner.
Mr. Bejelly doesn’t do well with cooked tomato products (crazy heartburn and stomach acid that keeps him up at night).
Also, after avoiding them for so long, I don’t tolerate them as well myself.
For this very reason, I’ve been slowly recreating some of our favorite recipes and making them tomato free.
When pondering what to replace the tomato with in this no tomato chili recipe, I immediately thought coffee.
It’s rich and somewhat bitter. It would add just the right punch to the recipe.
I also added some fresh roasted poblanos for texture and flavor. I love all the spices going on in this recipe. However, what I love even better is the fact that Mr. Bejelly slept peacefully thought the night after eating two bowls of this no-tomato chili.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 large Poblano chilies, roughly 7" long, roasted and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb of grass-fed beef
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of brewed low acid coffee
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a large skillet add the cooking oil, onions and poblano peppers and cook until the onions are browned.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, spices, coffee and water and simmer on medium-low for 30- 35 minutes.
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.