Last Updated on January 23, 2023
Shrimp are perhaps the most common crustaceans when it comes to preparing a dish derived from the sea. The recipe for rice with shrimp is very practical and delicious for any occasion, and without a doubt it adapts to even the most exquisite palates.
Different countries around the world, according to their tradition, have a particular way of preparing this dish. However, today you will learn how to make it Colombian style, a country where the consumption of rice is very common and the shrimp will be an extra that will make it much more appetizing.
Rice with shrimps is an extremely healthy recipe because it is low in calories and rich in vitamin C, it also provides the body with many nutrients included in the chicken broth. It is also a super simple, fresh and ideal dish for any time of the year.
How to make rice with shrimp?
Rice with shrimp is easier to make than you can imagine, in just a few minutes you will have a dish that everyone will enjoy. This recipe has a lot of flavor, since the shrimp shells are cooked in the broth that will later be used to cook the rice. To make this recipe you can use whatever rice you have on hand, although in this particular recipe, the long grain variety jasmine rice is preferred. It is the most popular rice in Thailand and throughout Southeast Asia. It is long grain, with a fragrant floral aroma. You can get the jasmine rice in this link: successrice.com/recipes/easy-shrimp-fried-rice/.
The rice will absorb the flavor of the shrimp and will be full of flavor and simply delicious. In addition to this you will use some spices to give it a more intense flavor and of course, the ingredient that cannot be missed, the shrimp.
You can even add other ingredients to this recipe as you like, since it is a very versatile preparation.
Follow the steps below and prepare the best rice with shrimp so popular in Colombia but also in Mexico and many other Latin countries.
- While the vegetables are baking, in a medium bowl mix the seafood with salt, pepper and olive oil. Let them stand for 10 minutes, then sauté them over low heat, or leave them raw to bake with the rest.
Ingredients and instructions to make this delicious rice with shrimp
- 35 oz of fresh unpeeled shrimp.
- 3 ½ cups water.
- 1 cup rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon butter.
- 1 medium to mate chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
- 2 tablespoons chopped long onion.
- 1 tablet fish stock.
- ¼ cup chopped green paprika.
- ¼ cup of chopped red bell pepper.
- 1 white onion, chopped.
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin.
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
- ¼ cup frozen carrots green beans and peas.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
Step by step instructions
- In a small saucepan place the unpeeled shrimp, fish stock tablet, water and cook for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Transfer the shrimp to a bowl. Peel and save the shells for later use.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute, add the garlic, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onions and tomato. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp shells and broth in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Pass through a strainer, discard the shells and save the broth.
- Add the rice to the tomato mixture, stirring until well coated. Add the broth, tomato paste, ground cumin, ground paprika, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, peas, carrots, green beans and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley and serve.