Last Updated on January 30, 2023
What are Mexican tacos?
Mexican tacos are a popular recipe from this American country. It consists of meat, usually beef or chicken, cooked with tomato and then introduced into a corn or wheat tortilla. Finally, it is seasoned with pico de gallo, a typical sauce of the country. A dish with a lot of personality and that undoubtedly tastes like Mexico.
Below you will find the typical recipe for tacos, but this is not the only option. There is a delicious recipe with rice, specially Minute® Instant White Rice which you can find here: minuterice.com/recipes/mexican-rice/
Ingredients for the Mexican tacos
- 6 corn tortillas.
- 12 oz of minced beef or chicken meat.
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 17 oz tomatoes.
- Salt and pepper.
- Optionally, grated cheese can be added to each taco.
To make the pico de gallo sauce
- 1 small chopped spring onion.
- 1 jalapeño.
- 2 medium tomatoes.
- A few leaves of cilantro.
- 1/2 lime or 1/2 lemon.
Instructions to make tacos
- To start with our Mexican tacos, chop the garlic and cook over very low heat for 1 minute. Do not let it get colored.
- Add the half kilo of tomatoes, already peeled and chopped, and turn up the heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a while. The tomato will release water, it must evaporate all that, it can take a while. Once evaporated let it cook over low heat while stirring constantly, for 5 minutes more, so that it has a good flavor.
- While the water evaporates from the tomatoes, prepare the pico de gallo. It is a sauce that is perfect for Mexican tacos. In a bowl, add all the vegetables for this sauce, finely chopped. Add the juice of 1/2 lime or half a lemon and stir well. Let it rest.
- When the tomato has cooked a little, add the minced meat. Add salt and pepper and cook over high heat. With a wooden spoon, stir everything and crumble the minced meat, so that there are no big pieces left. In fact, the finer the better. So mix it with the tomato and the garlic, while crumbling it and cook the meat.
- Once it is cooked, it is ready! Heat the tortillas one by one on both sides in a frying pan over medium heat. Then put a few spoonfuls of the meat on top, season with a little pico de gallo, wrap them in the characteristic taco shape. Optionally, sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- And that’s how quick and easy it is to make delicious Mexican tacos! They can also be accompanied with a good guacamole sauce or any other Mexican sauce of your choice.
How to make Mexican corn tortillas
The corn tortilla is a preparation that is commonly consumed in many countries, mainly in Mexico, where they are the basis of recipes such as tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas and also of the famous totopos (with which the well-known nachos with cheese are made).
- 6 oz instant corn flour (nixtamalized, special for making tortillas).
- 265 ml of warm water.
Step-by-step homemade corn tortillas
- Pour the flour in a bowl with the salt. Add the warm water little by little, stirring with a spatula or by hand. Knead lightly with your hand until it is soft and you can make balls with your hand. Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten them with a press like the one used in Mexico to make tortillas. If you don’t have a press, place the slightly flattened ball between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten with something flat and wide, like a tray, to make it as thin as possible.
- To make them perfect, use a large plating ring to shape them, or put a plate on top and cut with a knife.
- If you have a special griddle to fry the tortillas, place them as we have them done, otherwise they can be made in a very hot non-stick pan.
- After a minute or two you will see that bubbles form on the surface. At that moment we turn them over and make them on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the dough and eat as soon as possible.