I have a cold. Yeah, it sucks. Nothing tastes right and I even missed my chance to meet up with Kelly from the Spunky Coconut when she was in town (see my review and giveaway for her new book here). Anyhow, back to my cold and the fact that I had to change direction with what I was going to share today. It didn’t take me very long to think it was time to share a Paleo Calzone. Oh mama, even with my taste buds slightly deadened I didn’t want to share my Calzone with Little. That’s pretty messed up, right?
A couple of tips – don’t make them huge. Mine was probably 5″ tall and 7″ wide. At first I made a huge one and it fell to pieces. This recipe will make two calzones and you might, like myself, have to close some of the cracks in the dough with the “extra” dough the recipe makes.
- Place the coconut oil, water, sea salt and spices in a small pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the stove, add in the tapioca flour and mix.
- Let this cool for 3- 4 minutes and then add in the coconut flour, egg and egg yolk.
- Mix and then knead for 1 minute.
- Roll out the dough into 3 balls. Take one ball and place between two sheets of parchment paper into roughly a 4″ x 7″ rectangle that is ¼" - ½" thick.
- Make sure you can flip it in half without it breaking completely (there will be small breaks). If it has too many cracks make it slightly smaller.
- Fill with your choice of toppings.
- Flip in half. Pinch closed. To repair any cracks, pinch the dough off one of the balls and use it to do this.
- Pick up the piece of parchment paper with the Calzones in place and move to a stainless steel baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white you saved and brush it over the top of your two Calzones.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.