Coconut chicken made with a rich dairy-free sauce that is filled with savory garlic. Top with your favorite low carb rice for healthy dinner.
My mother is Filipino so I grew up eating exotic foods like lumpia, fried rice and coconut chicken. However I dreamed of eating Wonder bread and ho hos as all of my friends were eating them.
With age comes wisdom, or at least for me, a more refined food palate, so I’ve tried to recreate my mom’s recipe since it works wonderfully as a paleo and keto chicken recipe I can eat over and over again.
Thankfully I have her to consult but we live a 1000 miles away so I can’t go watch her whip it up in her kitchen. Also, she doesn’t use standard measurement tools and instead she tends to describe measurements as ” a little bit of water” or ” a pinch of this.”
I’m so glad I stuck with it because ever since I nailed this great recipe down, I’ve been in coconut chicken heaven.
If you’re not aware of the benefit of coconut oil, it’s been the focus of over 1500 studies. Coconut oil is one of the healthiest foods and it’s filled with medium-chain fatty acids.
Why Include Coconut Oil in Your Diet
Because coconut oil helps burn fat so easily, and because it doesn’t store as body fat, it is an ideal healthy fat to use a lot of while on the keto diet.
Plus, it tastes delicious! Coconut oil complements the keto diet perfectly because it supports the body systems the keto diet improves as well.
What I love about this coconut chicken recipe
- It’s dairy-free and works for the paleo, keto and low carb diet
- Packed full of healthy fats
- A simple recipe that you can make in 30 minutes or less
Some common questions about this recipe
Can I substitute low fat coconut milk for full fat coconut milk?
No, you can’t. The recipe will not form a gravy if you use low fat coconut milk
Can I use chicken strips instead of chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use what ever cut you want just make sure the weight is the same.
Can I use lime juice instead of apple cider vinegar?
Yes, you can use that or lemon juice as a substitution.
Other chicken recipes you might like:
- In a large skillet over medium/low heat add the chicken and coconut oil
- Cook for 2 -3 minutes and then add the apple cider vinegar, water and garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and cook until the liquid all boils down. This should take roughly 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until your liquid thickens slightly and you have a coconut mixture that resembles a gravy.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- Please note that if you leave the pan on the heat, the gravy will cook away until you have coconut oil.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 337 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 138mg Sodium: 474mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 29g