This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
There is nothing like brainstorming with friends to help kick up your recipes a notch. This idea for Paleo Salted Caramel Ice Cream came about when my BFF was here (also see the Paleo Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe). I knew that this was something I had to try to create, and this recipe is a winner. It is rich and creamy and reminds of of a “true” ice cream.
Now this recipe is perfect for me as is. It has a wonderful hint of caramel in the background of the recipe. You might want to double the caramel so you can have some to drizzle all over your ice cream but again prepare from some serious sweetness.
Two notes: Buy a Candy thermometer so you can make sure the honey only gets to 250 degrees. If the temp gets higher it’s going to mess up the recipe. You can get one from the dollar store. Also, I had to make this in two batches as my ice cream maker was too small to handle the entire recipe at once.
One amazing thing about the recipe is that the ice cream will not be rock hard when you pull it from the freezer. The amount of honey in here makes it very scoopable. Ok, this will probably be my last ice cream recipe for the month as my waistline cannot take any more abuse.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 8 Tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ice cream base
- 2 13.5 oz cans of Coconut Milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a sauce pan, cook the honey until it reaches the soft boil stage (250 degrees).
- Remove the pan from the stove top and add in the butter. Whisk the butter into the honey until it is completely incorporated. Then whisk in the vanilla.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, sea salt and caramel.
- Blend for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour in your ice cream maker for 15 - 20 minutes until set. Freeze for 2 hours. Enjoy!
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website