Paleo Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Primal Salted Caramel Ice Cream

There is nothing like brainstorming with friends to help kick up your recipes a notch.  This idea for Paleo Salted Caramel Ice Cream came about when my BFF was here (also see the Paleo Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe).   I knew that this was something I had to try to create, and this recipe is a winner. It is rich and creamy and reminds of of a “true” ice cream.

Now this recipe is perfect for me as is.  It has  a wonderful hint of caramel in the background of the recipe.    You might want to  double the caramel  so you can have some to drizzle all over your ice cream but again prepare from some serious sweetness.

Primal Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Two notes: Buy a Candy thermometer so you can make sure the honey only gets to 250 degrees.  If the temp gets higher it’s going to mess up the recipe.  You can get one from the dollar store.  Also, I had to make this in two batches as my ice cream maker was too small to handle the entire recipe at once.

One amazing thing about the recipe is that the ice cream will not be rock hard when you pull it from the freezer.  The amount of honey in here makes it  very scoopable.   Ok, this will probably be my last ice cream recipe for the month as my waistline cannot take any more abuse.

Primal Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Primal Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Primal Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Course: paleo primal ice cream
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes

Caramel

Ice cream base

• 2 13.5 oz cans of Coconut Milk
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1. In a sauce pan, cook the honey until it reaches the soft boil stage (250 degrees).
  2. Remove the pan from the stove top and add in the butter. Whisk the butter into the honey until it is completely incorporated. Then whisk in the vanilla.
  3. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
  4. In a blender, add the coconut milk, sea salt and caramel.
  5. Blend for 2 - 3 minutes.
  6. Pour in your ice cream maker for 15 - 20 minutes until set. Freeze for 2 hours. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

1. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell July 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

You do know I can’t resist caramel, right? Must have. Must have it. This looks fantastic!

2. Vanessa: thequeenofswag July 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

This looks amazing. I’m definitely trying to find dairy alternative icecreams and would love to try this.

3. Becca @ Mama B July 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Oh man this looks amazing. Caramel anything is my weak spot!

4. Tammy July 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm

NOOOO Need more ice cream recipes – 🙂 This sounds heavenly.

5. Marcie W. July 29, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Would you believe I passed up a $25 ice cream maker this weekend? I knew that purchase would mean too much overall consumption for me but I am thankful that you can’t see me drooling over here!

1. Kelly Bejelly July 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm

NO!! You should have bought it 🙂 It’s amazing how much fun (ok, I know you’ll end up eating a ton more calories) that you can have with it.

6. Donna July 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm

YUM! This is a MUST try! And, Kelly, I am gradually starting a Paleo diet. Meaning I’m cutting down on dairy and sugar a LOT, and cutting down on grain…. eventually I’ll get to a 90%+ Paleo diet. 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly July 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I’m so excited for you Donna!!! I am so happy with how this recipe came out. My husband HATES coconut milk and he destroyed a huge bowl of this so I know it’s a winner 🙂

1. Deb September 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Ice Cream looks fantastic! would also love to know where you got the paper bowls?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

I found them at Marshalls. I love that store!

7. Lisa July 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm

This looks so yummy!

8. Jenn July 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

One of my favorite flavors! I’d like to shake hands with whoever thought of salting ice cream and dark chocolate.

9. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 31, 2013 at 4:12 pm

That caramel sauce drizzled over the top is gorgeous! Craving ice cream right now…

1. Kelly Bejelly July 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm

My husband and son tore it up but it was too sweet for me, lol. The ice cream now was a different matter.

10. Cocktails with Mom August 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Seriously? You really didn’t have to do this to me. This looks soooo good.

11. CK September 16, 2013 at 8:35 am

I tried a different take on the paleoish caramel with coconut sugar and it came out with all the taste of caramel and not so absurdly sweet. I cannot WAIT to try the coconut milk idea. Thank you for bravely forging ahead in this exploration 🙂
    -CK

1. Kelly Bejelly September 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

Your recipe sounds delicious and I’m going to have to give it a try 🙂

2. Sharon Gale November 2, 2014 at 11:09 am

CK, I love your idea and would like to try that! Did you just replace the 1/2 cup honey with 1/2 cup of coconut sugar and leave everything else the same?

12. Sarah November 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hi there – can I ask for a clarification about the recipe? At the end of the base, it says 1 Tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt…is that right? I made a half batch and used just a hair more than a 1/2 Tablespoon measure and it came out way, way salty…so I was wondering if it was supposed to be 1 Tablespoon of something else? or 1 1/4 teaspoons of sea salt? I’m new to trying paleo ice creams, so I wanted to check if I did something wrong…

1. Kelly Bejelly November 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Sarah, I put in 1 tablespoon + 1/4 tsp and it was spot on for me. You can always start with 1/4 tsp and work your way up to taste. It’s vegan so you don’t have to worry about eating raw egg or anything while you are tasting it.

13. Nikko May 12, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I got excited when I saw the photo but I don’t have an ice cream maker. Will be making the fudge, that’s for sure.

14. jennifer keenan June 10, 2014 at 3:34 am

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it!

15. Isabelle July 8, 2014 at 12:01 am

Hi

Does the caramel have to be cooled before adding to the coconut milk in the blender? I did not cool it and it curdled the milk and then it never recovered in the ice cream maker? The flavor was good but the texture was terrible. I think the fat separated?? What did I do wrong?

Thanks
    Isabelle

1. Kelly Bejelly July 8, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hrmm. . if it was piping hot, I’m sure it cooked the oil in the coconut milk and resulted in the texture issues. I’ll change the recipe now to share it should cool 5 minutes before adding. Sorry hun!

1. Isabelle July 12, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Thanks. I’ll cool it next time and give it another try.

Isabelle

16. Sandy September 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm

This recipe is the best ice cream! It is better than the stuff from the store, healthier, and sooooo easy to make. I make a quart most every week. I’ve been eating Paleo for 2 months, lost 18 lbs and get to enjoy this fantastic sweet! No feeling of losing out or deprivation when you have something like this to eat.

Sandy

17. Sandy September 5, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Suggested recipe for a “lite” version: Use one can regular organic coconut milk and one can “lite” organic coconut milk, or two cans “lite” organic coconut milk. Reduce the ghee to 5 tablespoons. The flavor is just as good, and the “lite” coconut milk has about 90 fewer calories in a 1/3 cup serving. I have used one can “lite” and one can regular. I have not yet used two cans of “lite”.

For a flavor addition, I add about a 1/2 tsp of instant coffee, and a 1/2 tsp of cocoa in just enough hot filtered water to dissolve and incorporate it with the honey before boiling.

This recipe is the bomb! It’s the best part about Paleo – you can have your sweets and still eat right!

18. Molly Ries January 31, 2015 at 11:21 am

I’m OUT of this! Time to make more!!!!! This recipe is SIMPLE and DELICIOUS!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

19. Elizabeth grooms July 19, 2015 at 7:53 pm

This turned out pretty good, the coconut taste was pretty strong for my preference, wondering if subbing almond milk for one can would work to make it less coconut-y tasting?
    The carmel sauce was perfect!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 2, 2015 at 6:10 pm

As long as the fat content is high, it should work fine hun. People have issues when they use light milk.