October 7, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Paleo Vegan

I’m probably one of the few folks out there who isn’t crazy about pumpkin.  I like it but I don’t love it.  However, dear mama this recipe made me a pumpkin loving fool.      So this recipe is nut-free, egg-free and paleo y’all.  From my interaction with my friends (you’re my friends not my fans) on Facebook  I’ve realized that a whole bunch of you have food allergies, that honestly, I never even knew that people could have.   This recipe is dedicated to each and every one of you that shared your story with me.

I had no idea what was going to happen when I put my apron strings on to create this recipe but now I realize that I’ve been missing out on the vegan grain-free desserts out there.  My goodness, I expected ok but I never thought I would get gooey chocolaty pumpkin goodness.   I even had to pry this away from Mr. Bejelly and he hates pumpkin.

Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Paleo Vegan

The bread comes slightly gooey in the inside.  If you don’t want this,  there are two things you can do: 1) reduce the amount of chocolate chips (which in my opinion, are the best part) and 2) bake it in a larger pan so it has more room to spread out and cook evenly.

Also, pumpkin seeds have a warm robust taste.  I love how it pairs with the dark chocolate in the recipe but if you want something more “hidden” in the recipe and you can use almond flour, make the substitution.

Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Paleo Vegan

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Course: Paleo Dessert
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes

1. In a medium pan add the chia seeds, coconut oil and water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  2. In your blender or food processor, grind the pumpkin seeds into a flour.
  3. Next, add in all of the dry ingredients and pulse for 30 seconds.
  4. Then add in your wet ingredients including the chia seed mixture.
  5. Blend until well combined.
  6. Fold in the chocolate chips and pour into a well greased 5 x 9 Loaf Pan.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.
  8. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

aip desserts

• October 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

Oh my word. That is deliciousness on 10 kind of levels. We may have to change our diets a lot in our home soon as our daughter is having stomach issues, I know I’ll be heading here first for recipes if that’s the case!

• October 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Wow my mouth is watering this looks great. I like how you added the chia seeds.

• October 21, 2015 at 7:49 am

Thanks you for an egg free, Paleo, delicious dessert! I love pumpkin and chocolate, a match made in heaven. It would be awesome if there were one place for recipies with no eggs, gluten, soy, dairy, etc. for those of us allergic to everything!!

• Paula
    October 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I am one of those with food allergies to everything!! No eggs, no soy, no dairy, no gluten, no grains, no nights shades and on and on…….thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me hope that there is someone out there with recipes for something yummy that I can use!!
    I can not wait to try this!

• October 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

You are so welcome Paula and I hope it becomes one of your favorites!!

• Erica
        October 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

Do you have any tips for sub-ing chia for flax and tapioca for coconut flour?

• October 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

With the flax, I would say replace with the same amount. The coconut flour, yikes, I’m not sure on that one Erica. I was planning on making the bread again this weekend and fiddling with it to see if coconut flour could work in the mix. I’ll update and share how it goes on Monday.

• October 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Yeah! I hope you like it 🙂 We finished it off for breakfast, lol.

• October 17, 2013 at 11:16 am

Just wanted to update to say that I made this and it is INCREDIBLE. My first time baking grain-free and it was a success. I think my husband ate 3/4 of the loaf already. Thanks for a great recipe!

• October 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm

You don’t know how much your comment means to me hun. I seriously was like, is the pumpkin too strong. I’m so glad you both enjoyed it. I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day, lol.

• October 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

My goodness, I think I gained 10 lbs looking at this! I love that it doesn’t require any dairy products, as I suspect that I have a strong sensitivity to them.

• October 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Well, I gained 10lbs after eating it, lol 🙂

• Kim
    October 7, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Looks fantastic. One question though….the recipe calls for 1 cup pumpkin seeds. Would that be the green pepitas or the white, hard shelled pumpkin seeds? Awaiting your reply. Thank you.

• October 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks for asking Kim! It’s the raw green pepitas 🙂

• October 8, 2013 at 6:17 am

Ooooh – that looks delicious.

However, you are not alone in not loving pumpkin. I don’t mind a nice pumpkin bread like this, but I am not out hunting pumpkin recipes. As a matter of fact, my sister makes pumpkin pies every year for Thanksgiving… and I always make a second dessert for myself because I really don’t like pumpkin pie (although, I am told that hers is excellent).

• October 8, 2013 at 9:12 am

I did not have pumpkin until I was a teenager so I never really developed the taste buds for it 🙂 Now Pecan pie is a different matter!

• CIndy
    October 8, 2013 at 8:03 am

I have all the ingredients to make this now except for tapioca flour – could I sub another GF flour? Almond flour? coconut flour?

• October 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

Arrowroot works as a great replacement for tapioca flour 🙂

• CIndy
        October 8, 2013 at 11:18 am

Thanks Kelly! I have that!

• Erin O
    October 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm

trying this today, as muffins..

• Erin O
      October 8, 2013 at 5:10 pm

in the oven….. my chocolate chips all melted in the batter- was I suppose to let is cool more before adding? Also- not sure I like the taste of ground pumpkin seeds- sub almond flour next time? Or a mix of sunflower / pumpkin seeds? Hmmmm. Made 1 loaf & a dozen muffins.

• October 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Almond flour is a great substitute! A lot of people are allergic to it which is why I used pumpkin seeds. If your batter got hot after mixing it up in the blender/food processor, I would let it cool than fold in the chips.

• Terri
          November 11, 2013 at 11:26 pm

If subbing almond flour for pepitas, how much should I use?

• November 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

I would use 1 cup. If it seems extra running, perhaps add 1 tbsp until it forms a very soft dough texture.

• October 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I hate pumpkin, but that bread looks amazing! Definitely something my husband would love!

• Marie
    October 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Hi there, just wondering… you mentioned arrowroot as a good substitute for tapioca flour. Would you use the same measurements? Also, are chia seeds an absolute must or may those be left out/subbed as well?

• October 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

You could sub flax seeds for the chia seeds 🙂 They act as the egg in the recipe and gel it all together.

• Amanda
        September 8, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Would grinding the chia seeds first work?

• September 10, 2015 at 9:06 am

I don’t see why it would hurt hun.

• melissa
    October 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

wondering what would happen if you tossed in a couple tablespoons of coconut flour… maybe it would stiffen up a bit and not be so gooey… not that there’s anything wrong with gooey. looks delish and can’t wait to try it!

• October 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm

One reason it’s so gooey is from the amount of chocolate chips. You could reduce that amount to help. Also, you could bake it in a wider pan versus a loaf pan. This will allow the dough to spread out more and bake through more.

• October 10, 2013 at 3:45 am

Wow! That looks do good! I;ve never had pumpkin and chocolate but it sounds delicious!

• October 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

This looks incredible!! I was looking through your comments and noticed someone else asked about subbing coconut flour for tapioca flour. Have you discovered any other flours besides arrowroot that would work as a sub?

• October 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I haven’t tried any yet Erika. Coconut flour and Tapioca flour are so different that I need to play with the recipe to see what changes can be made. You might be able to add more almond flour if you go that route. Too many pumpkin seeds would create a really strong flavor.

• October 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

Before you cut it, I was like O.K. Chocolate Pumpkin bread… seen it before. You cut it and it was all I could do not to drool on my keyboard!
    You are the Paleo baking queen in my book 🙂

• October 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

Aw, thanks so much Robin! It’s crazy good but worth the extra calories.

• Minh
    October 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm

This sounds AMAZING. This is going to be what I’m going to indulge in once my Whole 30 is over. Thank you for all your creative recipes! I think you had the Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch? I made that too. Loved it!

• October 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Minh and yep, I created the Cinnamon Toast Crunch recipe. I hope that you enjoy it! I’m going to do the 21 Day Sugar Detox next month 🙂

• Minh
        November 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I just made this bread and it was fabulous! Definitely chewier than anticipated (due to the tapioca flour), but all my roommates loved it. I really enjoyed it the next day as well, as the texture becomes more “bread” like. Quite a tasty treat!

• Melissa
    October 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Do you know the calories for this? LOL

• October 25, 2013 at 8:12 am

Alot, lol. Make is and share with your friends to help with the calorie count!

• Maggie K
    October 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

OH MY GOD!!! Prepared it yesterday…and now it’s gone. Thankfully, I didn’t eat it by myself, my flatmates just grabbed it out of the oven, it smelled so nice that we almost couldn’t wait for it to get prepared. Thank you for this amazing recipe! 🙂

• October 27, 2013 at 10:47 am

Yeah! I’m so happy you all enjoyed it. I don’t make it often because it disappears quick!

• October 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Oh my word, this looks so decadent. I just had my first taste of roasted pumpkin seeds for the season, and between those and my recent paleo pumpkin swirl brownies recipe I am over the moon with pumpkin recipes! I’m afraid to make this–I’m not sure I could stop at just one or two pieces!

• October 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm

It’s addictive 🙂 If you make it I hope that you enjoy it.

• Melissa Visto PAlmer
    November 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Oh boy! I made this recipe into muffins (baked for 30 minutes) and all I can say is “WOWZA!” I used 3/4 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips and honestly, it could have been reduced to 1/2 cup without compromise. Such a fantastic treat! Made them for a friend who is on the last few days of a detox protocol, getting sick, and was dying for something bread-like. She was about to dive into her son’s halloween treat bag or drive to Starbuck’s for some chocolate chip banana bread when I stopped her. Made a case to continue avoiding eggs and bananas and reintroducing them one by one per the protocol. – and then happily made this recipe for her. Yes, she cheated a little bit with the chocolate chips but one muffin worth of chips is nothing compared to a Snicker’s bar. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are amazing! I plan to make this one often.

• November 15, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Aw, I’m so glad that you both enjoyed it and so true, this recipe is so much better than snickers bar!

• Jennifer
    November 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I just made this the other day & it was GONE that night between two of us. I was conservative with the choc chips (how dare I!) because I was afraid ‘gooey’ would equate to ‘soggy’ but this most definitely can take the 1 cup of chips! Next time, (probably tonight) I will use at least the full cup and maybe a little more. I was so stoked with the texture too! This is bread, peeps! The only thing I noticed, and it may be just my old-ass oven, was that it only took about 30-35 minutes at the most to bake. It almost got too done, but this is definitely a life long fave! Now I’m in search of more recipes I can make with Tapioca Flour!! Thank you for this recipe.

• November 26, 2013 at 9:55 am

Yeah! I’m so excited you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing about your oven. Most people don’t know that every single one is different so cook times can vary.

• Heidi Willocks
    March 2, 2014 at 4:27 am

can i sub with almond or coconut flour instead of tapioca flour?

• March 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I have not worked on this recipe to see if I can sub those flours. If you do, please share!

• Katie
    September 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm

What could I use as a substitution for the apple cider vinegar? I am highly allergic to apples, unfortunately.

• September 23, 2014 at 7:15 am

Can you have white vinegar? You could use that Katie.

• Erin
    October 22, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I just made this tonight without the chocolate chips, and at first I was apprehensive about how it was going to taste, but I have to say this is really good! It actually has the taste of a regular loaf of gluten bread…soooooo yummy!

• Nikko
    December 9, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Very interesting recipe, using the pumpkin seeds is a great idea. Is it normal for the dough to be so thick? The 2nd time making this, I used arrowroot flour which doesn’t seem to rise as much as tapioca, but still has a great flavor. What would happen if I used almond flour in place of the starchy flour?