October 4, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo hamburger bun

When I was a kid, my mother would often make us the special treat of peanut butter sandwiches on white hamburger buns.  Oh mama, I can still remember the sticky sweet taste and, of course, washing it down with a large glass of ice cold milk.  Now, it makes sense my mother would turn us loose in the backyard for hours after feeding us the equivalent of sugar in a straw.

Anyhow, we know the best part of any burger is the bun.  This bun recipe is the perfect texture and taste.  It’s not sweet but I guess you could add a little honey if you’re so inclined.  My son snatched one from the counter and happily chanted “bread, Little eat bread” before it quickly disappeared.

Update: A little shameless share. I was so excited (and tickled pink) when the amazing Boy George made this recipe!

paleo hamburger buns

paleo hamburger bun

Paleo Hamburger Buns recipe

Course: bread

1. Set out your nonstick hamburger pan. If your nonstick has ever been washed in a dishwasher it has lost it's ability to stick properly so grease the pan with coconut oil, lard or sustainably raised palm shortening.
  2. Place your cashews in your blender or food processor and grind into a flour.
  3. Then add in the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Blend completely until you have a batter.
  5. Pour the batter into your nonstick hamburger bun pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
  6. Remove from the oven and let cool.
  7. You can slice the buns in half if you would like.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• October 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

wow. you can really make almost anything grain free. These totally look good but I would still be nervous to take a bite. lol

• Rebecca
    October 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm

We have a severe cashew allergy in the house. Can you recommend a good substitute? These look great, would really like to try them!

• October 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Rebecca, you can use almond flour or walnuts. I tried sunflower seeds and sesame seeds and they just tasted crazy so I don’t recommend them.

• Randi Stuart
        July 3, 2014 at 7:03 am

Kelly, What would be the almond flour measurement if using rather than the whole cashews? Thanks!

• July 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I would start with the same measurement and add 1 tablespoon at a time until it looks like a thick pancake batter.

• October 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Grain free bread intrigues me and frightens me all at once. I use almond flour regularly in baking but never in bread and I’ve never used cashew flour.

• October 6, 2013 at 6:34 am

This is so interesting. I would have never dreamed up this recipe, and they look great.

• October 6, 2013 at 6:43 am

wow I didn’t know we can make bread usiing coconut flour! and it looks great!

• October 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Interesting, so the coconut flour and the tapioca flour replaces the regular flour. I didn’t even know tapioca flour existed, clearly I need to get out more.

• Julie
      September 20, 2016 at 5:08 am

Also sold as arrowroot in a lot of stores in Australia.

• October 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

those definitely look interesting!

• October 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Whatever gene people have that make them be able to bake bread, I don’t have. These look so good I wish I could make them.

• Patricia R.
    October 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This may seem like a dumb question but do you cut each bun in half? Just wondering if this makes three complete buns or six complete buns. I do plan to order this pan. This recipe looks amazing, like all your recipes. Also, where do you get white sweet potatoes? Your ebook has several recipes I can’t try because no one has ever heard of them.

• October 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hi Patricia, I didn’t cut them in half. You could, I guess, but they would be rather thin. Regarding the sweet potatoes, my grocery store carries them. You could substitute normal sweet potatoes but they will give the recipe a little more color.

• October 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Now that’s a bun I could tolerate! I’m working very hard to give up grains (not totally but mostly) and I’m finding that when I do, I feel so much better. I need to experiment more with alternative flours, which I’m a little afraid of at the moment.

• October 7, 2013 at 7:48 am

Wow they look great! I’ll have to try these one day.

• Bethany
    October 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

Oh how I miss buns. Every recipe I have tried, the bun has without fail, crumbled. How does this recipe hold up???

• October 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm

It’s a really sturdy recipe. I’ve grilled these also with butter and they turn out excellent!

• Dawn Harrell
    October 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

Can you substitute something for the tapioca flour? Maybe more coconut flour or flax seed meal? I am trying to stay away from all starches, including tapioca, arrowroot, etc.

• October 28, 2013 at 9:30 am

Dawn, I’ve never made these without the tapioca flour. You could try more of a nut flour so the consistency is the same but I have no idea if it would turn out right.

• Meredith
      August 7, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Dawn, I didn’t have tapioca flour in the house the first time I made these. I ground cashews and walnuts into the amount of nut flour I needed, flax meal for the coconut flour, and something called kale sprinkles for the tapioca, is a nutritional yeast, kale, and spices combination. Well, the result was very rustic, but it held together and smelled so good. I ate two buns with a hamburger. The next day I had a roasted veggie sandwich from leftover grill from the night before. It was super. I now have the correct recipe items and am going to try Kelley’s recipe as is tonight.

• madison
    December 1, 2013 at 9:17 am

Would you be able to make a batch and freeze them? Or would they just not be the same?

• December 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Madison, I have not done this so I can’t share. The next time I make this, I will make extra and try it out.

• Peggy
      February 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I froze them and they turned out really well. I just reheated them in the microwave and they were as good as new!

• Theresa
      June 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi Kelly,
      I just made these hamburger buns for the third time (in the past two days)! They are so easy to make; and they are absolutely delicious. My son and I can’t stop eating them. They are tasty as hamburger buns; but are really good toasted with a fried egg and bacon inside. I am sure they would also be great with some paleo jam/fruit spread. Thanks so much for this recipe. I have now made a few recipes from your site and just love them for their taste and how they turn out. I also wanted to thank you because baking gluten free is not always easy. I have tried many recipes over this last year and there were more fails than wins 🙁
      You’re recipes have inspired me to keep baking. Keep up the good work.

• Amber Lamanna
          November 16, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Hi! I was wondering, is there a way to make these buns without nuts? What could I possibly substitute for the cashews? Thank you!

• November 30, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I’ve never made this without the nuts. It would really change the recipe to remove them so you would be better off finding a recipe that is nut-free.

• Allison
    January 26, 2014 at 1:07 pm

How much do the cashews grind down to? I just picked up some cashew flour at Trader Joe’s and have been looking for a recipe to use it with! I think this would be perfect! 🙂

• January 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

Hun, you will probably need to add anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2″ cup. The batter is similar to a thick pancake batter.

• vanessa
        May 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

I picked up some cashew flour the other day, and I used 1/3 cup in place of the cashews. I had made the recipe using whole cashews several times, and 1/3 cup seemed to get the batter about right. I’m loving how quick the cashew flour is. Instead of dirtying my food processor (which can be a pain to clean), I just throw all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk, and bake it off. Takes like five minutes, and there’s less to clean. Hurray!

• Kara
    January 29, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Where does one get a “hamburger bun maker” and do you have any suggestions for making them without one?

• January 29, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I use this hamburger pan -> http://amzn.to/19oKM8P. If you don’t want to buy something like this you can alway make this in a baking sheet and cut the buns into squares.

• February 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Made these tonight and am really pleased with the end result! Enjoyed them with chopped barbecue beef! I actually sliced each bun so that I ended up with 4 sets of buns. Will definitely be making these again!

• February 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them hun!

• Jessica
    February 4, 2014 at 5:29 am

Hi!! These are great! You’re right they don’t fall apart like a lot of other recipes. I usually use those other ones for things that I would normally make corn bread with because it’s great for those dishes. However, something like a burger or pulled pork sandwich (had last night) calls for something to hold the sandwich together and these did the trick! I actually don’t own a pan for this and just used parchment paper on a baking sheet and spooned enough for a bun onto the sheet for each spot and they baked right up 🙂
    For those of you afraid to eat grain free and substitute breads….this is the most sustainable AND doable lifestyle foodwise I have ever attenpted. My whole family does it and we all feel a lot better. My husband and I have both lost 10 pounds in a month too. I make TONS of grain free breads with coconut flour, almond flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot powder, and many other amazing things. We still eat pancakes and everything 🙂 Just be open minded and creative. My two cents! LOVE THESE!

• February 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for sharing that tip Jessica!

• vanessa
    April 12, 2014 at 7:55 am

I ended up making these in ramekins because I didn’t have a hamburger pan, and the batter seemed too thin to just make rounds out of. When I plopped them out and ate them warm, they reminded me of biscuits. Probably the buttery-ness of the cashews. The next day, I cut one in half and toasted it (right in the toaster–it held up well!), and it reminded me of an English muffin. Slathered it in butter and a bit of jam, and it was delicious. I sent the recipe to my sister, since her one non-Paleo indulgence still is English muffins. I try not to use nut flours very often, but for an occasional treat, these are quick and tasty. My next experiment is going to be a square baking pan–I’m envisioning toasted squares with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. 🙂

• April 24, 2014 at 8:20 am

I made these last night in tiny hamburger molds. I am wondering how big in diameter your suggested pan is? Mine is big enough to make slider sized buns so I made these last night with a variation of your Thai chicken burgers. What a fun meal!

• April 24, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi Angela, it’s a muffin top pan and it’s pretty wide. I’d guess 3″ wide?

• Charles
    April 26, 2014 at 10:33 am

This is the first Paleo bread I found stomach-able. It is very good, and was easy to make. I used 3 mini spring form pans and then cut the buns in half. Worked great. Also glazed the top with Egg whites to give it that shiny bun top. I’m freezing some now to see how they defrost.

• April 27, 2014 at 9:44 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Charles!

• PETE
    May 21, 2014 at 11:19 am

I have been wondering how to make these for a while without the proper muffin top pan and I came across some small foil pans at the dollar store the other day (the kind that pot pies often come in) and they turned out perfectly.
    Just finished making some mayo, ketchup and BBQ sauce as well and can’t wait until I can have some burgers tomorrow. (today is a fasting day)
    Thanks for the recipes.

• May 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm

You are so welcome Pete and thanks for the tip 🙂

• June 10, 2014 at 9:34 am

mmm nice recipe! i try cooking today tahnk

• Angela
    July 22, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I made these yesterday, and they are very good. I used to buy the sandwich thins, but since going paleo a month ago, I’ve really missed them. But now I can make my own and eat them with whatever I want with no guilt. Thank you so much.

• August 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I really wanted this recipe to work, it was a little dry and tasteless. I am going to try this tomorrow only with some Italian seasoning, some coconut milk and hopefully it w I’ll be better.

Are the cashews supposed to be soaked before using?

• Sandra
    August 30, 2014 at 9:49 am

Just made this for the second time. Doubled it as I have a 12 count muffin top pan. I love how sturdy these are, especially when I want to load them with chicken salad or tuna salad. I just use them like a ‘platter’ for my food. Yummy!

• September 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Yum, these are my favorite buns and so versatile!

• jolene
    November 23, 2014 at 3:41 pm

These turned out scrumptious. I made them for burgers but I had to try them now so I grabbed some meat slices and mustard and mayo and it was wonderful! I used a whoopee pie pan so instead of 6 large buns I got 12 small buns and they only had to cook 10-15 minutes instead of 25. I also didn’t have any tapioca starch on hand so I subbed arrowroot starch instead. I accidentally left out the salt and they still turned out great. I also used sparkling water instead of regular. Instead of cashews I used store bought almond meal. This recipe is a keeper! Can’t wait to make the big ones when I buy the right size pan. Thanks Kelly!

• Cindy
    January 6, 2015 at 10:55 am

Wanting to do this recipe, and wonder if the cashews will just turn into cashew butter in my Vitamix wet container? I don’t have the dry-grains container… But will it matter, if it is cashew butter or flour, since the recipe turns into a “thick pancake batter” consistency?

• Chipper
    March 4, 2015 at 4:40 am

These just came out of the oven and the kids are so excited. We didn’t have a suitable pan so we just spooned the mixture into rounds on a baking sheet. I plan on looking out for some 3″ egg rings to use for these in the future. Thanks for a recipe free from almonds

• March 6, 2015 at 8:33 am

Aw, you are so welcome Chipper and I’m glad you all enjoyed it hun.

• Jeff Myers
    March 17, 2015 at 9:38 am

Hi, Thanks for the recipe. Can I use almond flour instead of making cashew flour? Would it still turn out?

• March 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Yes, you can use almond flour with no issues.

• March 24, 2015 at 6:00 am

Thank you for this recipe it is a real winner 🙂 I tried it for the first time last night and I think that it will very soon become a stable recipe in our household.

• Maeghan
    April 1, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Love love love this recipe! I modified the flours a bit when I made it. I used 1/4 c each of coconut flour, tigernut flour, tapioca flour and sweet potato flour from Anti Grain foods. They came out perfect. Such a versatile bun!

• May 18, 2015 at 7:56 am

It’s one of my favorite recipes too Maeghan! Love how you changed it.

• Gypsie
    September 22, 2015 at 7:40 am

These look so easy Kelly. I’m wondering about carb content from tapioca flour. Any suggestions to replace the tapioca flour with something lower carb? Thanks for the recipe.

• September 24, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I have yet to find a low card replacement for tapioca 🙁 I will share when I find something!

• Christy Siat
    December 14, 2015 at 12:22 am

I am allergic to vinegar, what can I use instead? I have not had a hamburger with a bun for over 10 years, having a gluten allergy. Everything I have tried to make falls apart. These sound perfect! I have ordered the non-stick bakeware listed and am ready to try these, but need a substitute for the vinegar.

• January 18, 2016 at 10:26 am

Can you do lemon juice? I would try that hun.

• Z
    March 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Hello, Kelly! I have been happily making these buns for my family but now have found out I have an egg allergy. Has anyone tried replacing eggs with gelatin eggs? Thank you so much! Very grateful for your work.

• March 20, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Gelatin egg should work just fine Z 🙂

• Nancy Boyd
    September 26, 2016 at 9:57 am

I just made these. I used 1/3 cashew flour and they are excellent! So easy and tasty! A winner! Thanks!

• Karen
    April 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm

What can be used in place of bun pan ?

• April 10, 2017 at 9:36 am

You can use a plat baking sheet and parchment paper and just make the shapes of the bun on them hun.

• RC
    June 6, 2017 at 11:46 am

Hello,
    I am excited to try this recipe, but have a couple of questions:
    1. What if I used only coconut flour?
    2. Is the non stick pan healthy? I thought that non -stick pans contain harmful chemicals…
    3. Is there another healthier choice of pans?
    Thank you!

• August 27, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Coconut flour only will not work and you would have better results finding a recipe that only uses coconut flour. You can use a stainless steel plan and make hamburger bun shaped with the batter.

• Debra
    October 18, 2017 at 8:34 am

These hamburger buns are FANTASTIC. Thank you for this recipe. I purchased the pan and followed the recipe as written and I had the best burger/bun in 3 years, since becoming gluten sensitive. I am making them on a regular basis. This bun has a pleasant taste and doesn’t crumple like other gluten free buns that I’ve purchased. I am going to try freezing them for a fast sandwich. Once again THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.