December 6, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

green bean casserole

Growing up, we did not have green bean casserole during the holidays.  I was chomping on eggrolls and pancet during the festivities.  It wasn’t until I left the nest and celebrated Thanksgiving with friends that I realized how monumental this dish is.    I can’t remember who brought it to our Thanksgiving Potluck but they threw down.  They didn’t just buy cans of premade soup and onions, it was from scratch and it made me want to eat the dish every week, none the less during the holidays.

green bean casserole

Ok, so yes, this recipe is takes some time since you’re making everything from scratch.  I made the soup two days ahead so I wasn’t scrambling like a mad woman  on the big day.  By the way, the soup also makes an excellent gravy for those mashed “potatoes.”  green bean casserole

I realized how ridiculously easy it is to make fried onions and oh mama, the smell of this dish baking in the oven was heaven.  There were no leftovers and we had 9 people over for our holiday celebration.

green bean casserole

green bean casserole

The Best Green Bean Casserole

Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Calories: 262 kcal

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Fried onions

Green Beans

• 4 cups water
  • 1 1/4 lb green beans trim and clean
  • 4 bacon cooked until crispy, diced

1. To make the mushroom soup in a pan over medium heat warm the coconut oil and then add in the diced mushrooms, thyme, salt, black pepper and chicken broth. Cook for 30 minutes and remove from stove.
  2. Pour the soup in a blender and then add the tapioca flour and coconut milk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
  3. To make the crispy onions, place the coconut oil in a small pan over medium heat. In a bowl combine the diced onions, salt and tapioca flour and toss until well coated.
  4. Drop the onions in small batched in the hot oil and book until golden brown, roughly 3 -4 minutes per batch.
  5. Set the onions on a paper towel to drain.
  6. For the green beans, place the water in a pan and bring to a boil. Add the green beans and bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
  7. Drain and add to a casserole dish.
  8. Add 4 cups of the mushroom soup and the diced bacon and stir until coated.
  9. Top with the fried onions and set the pan your oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
  10. Enjoy!
Sugars 5g
Protein 5g 10%
Vitamin A 13%
Vitamin C 34.6%
Calcium 6.7%
Iron 11.7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

green bean casserole

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• December 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Kelly!! As usual, this looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try it!

Also– your food photography. Stunning. Teach me your ways… seriously.

• December 7, 2013 at 9:25 am

If I had the time, i would totally try this. Green Bean Hotdish is one of my favorite holiday foods!

• December 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This makes me want to give green bean casserole another chance!

• December 7, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I’m a sucker for a good green bean casserole! This looks delish!

• December 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Oh, man! I am so going to make this! It’s like three fab recipes in one! I have been pining for cream of mushroom soup; I’d given up hope for fried onions, and this recipe puts it all together! Thanks

• December 8, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I ~LOVE~ Green Bean Casserole.

• December 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm

oh, wow! This looks so much better than the version with the onions in a can. You take the most amazing food photos!

• December 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I love green bean casserole. LOVE it! I am the only one who eats it but I make it for every holiday. I never thought to make it from scratch. I am going to try this for New Years.

• December 8, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I Love a green bean casserole and these pictures are GORGEOUS! Beautiful photography!

• December 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

See, now that is some good looking green bean casserole my husband and mother think it can only be made with canned green beans, canned soup and canned onion strings. Yuck! This though makes me think there is hope.

• December 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Your version looks waaaaay better than the traditional.

• December 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm

OMG, this sounds delicious, and so much better than the Campbell’s version!!

So excited I found your blog, I’m in the Portland area as well and my husband and I are Paleo and loving it. He blogs as well, http://grassfedgeek.com, and we are active with the Portland Bloggers group (http://pdxbloggers.com), would be great to meet you sometime! There are quite a few real foodies in the group!

• December 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm

So nice to meet you hun and so cool that you’re following the paleo diet also 🙂 I hope you enjoy the green bean casserole and Happy Holidays!

• Rachael
    December 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

This was absolutely delicious!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe! The soup tasted awesome, but it turned out to be a very watery consistency… is that how it should have turned out? Is there any way to make it thicker without changing the flavor? Thank again!

• November 23, 2015 at 7:00 am

I am wondering if it would work to use something other than tapioca flour. Maybe coconut flour or almond flour? And how to thicken the soup but remain gluten free

• January 18, 2016 at 10:02 am

You need a starch to thicken it hun. I would use Potato Starch or Corn Starch if you don’t want to use tapioca flour.

• Julie
    December 12, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Can you use almond flour instead of tapioca flour?

• January 18, 2016 at 10:15 am

No hun. You have to use a starch. You can use cornstarch or potato starch.

• Amy
    November 13, 2017 at 6:39 am

I’ve been searching for a healthier version of green bean casserole and this just might be it! Do you think this would work with French green beans (what I have). Also, if I use less broth will that help to get the soup to more of a creamy consistency which is what I’m used to. Thanks for the recipe, Kelly!

• Diane
    November 23, 2017 at 6:09 pm

I made this dish for thanksgiving today, cheated with canned green beans. Everyone liked it! My sis says she wants to make the onions just to munch on. Thanks!