September 9, 2014   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo pumpkin cheesecake

Until last year, I never understood why so many people went crazy for  pumpkin.  However, that all changed when I started creating paleo desserts with it and I knew I had to kick of Pumpkin season with something big so, I got in my kitchen and cooked  up this Paleo Pumpkin Cheesecake.

When my two taste testers had a bite, I knew that it was a hit when my son did an entire 20 minutes of yoga with me after I promised him another slice.

paleo pumpkin cheesecake

You can’t have a dessert that looks like this without a couple of steps.  If you’re feeling lazy you can totally skip the whipped topping and chocolate layer, but seriously, you don’t want to do this and really it’s only an extra 10 minutes of time.

Also, I have listed the weights for the Delget dates because they are much smaller than the much loved mejool dates (sometimes half the size).  This should make it easier to get the correct sweetness needed.

paleo pumpkin cheesecake

Paleo Pumpkin Cheesecake

Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 40 minutes

Crust

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Whipped Topping

• oz two 13.5 cans of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight

Chocolate Topping

1. To make the crust, place all the ingredients in your food processor and pulse until you have a crumble, roughly 4 to 5 minutes. Press this into a nonstick 9" spring form pan. Set aside.
  2. Rinse out your food processor bowl.
  3. To make the cheesecake, add the dates, bananas and applesauce and process until smooth, roughly 4 minutes.
  4. Add in the pumpkin and spices and pulse.
  5. In a small pan over medium heat add the coconut milk and whisk in the gelatin. Cook for 2 minutes until the liquid is warm not hot.
  6. Pour this into the food processor and pulse until smooth and combined.
  7. Pour this mixture into the spring form pan and place in your fridge for 7 to 8 hours. If you would like this sooner, you can place it in the freezer for 4 hours (note if you freeze it you will get ice crystals in the cheesecake that will disappear after storing in the fridge.)
  8. To serve, remove the ring from the spring form pan.
  9. To make the whipped topping, open your chilled coconut milk and remove the solid cream from the top. Save the water for smoothies.
  10. With a hand mixer, beat the coconut milk until light an fluffy, roughly 4 to 5 minutes. Spoon this over the top of the cheesecake.
  11. To make the chocolate topping, in a sauce pan over medium low heat, add the chocolate chips and let melt. With a fork, drizzle over the top of the whipped topping.
  12. This will keep for 4 days covered in the fridge.

© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

If you love pumpkin, also check out my Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

• Pam
    September 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I’m finding the dates confusing…I assume it should say 4 to 5, and 2 to 5 dates, or the total amount of dates should equal 8 & 4 oz.? Not 45 and 25 dates? Or is it a tiny kind of date? I usually use mejool! Thanks.

• September 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hi Pam, I listed weights because deglet dates are way smaller than mejool dates. Since most people use medjool, you can go by weights to get the same sweetness.

• September 11, 2014 at 5:24 am

Woaaahhhh kelly this looks amazing!!! I’m really impressed by the ingredient list…I might actually make this! And I never make anything fancy.

• Avi
    September 11, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Will definitely be making this soon! Looks delicious!

• September 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm

How delicious is this pumpkin cheesecake! I must try the recipe.. love how good it is for you and how the recipe is paleo!

• Megan
    September 11, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Ok, I live in a not-so-city… where do you find dates???

• September 12, 2014 at 7:06 am

You can get them from amazon 🙂

• sabrina
    September 12, 2014 at 4:17 am

Oh this looks beautiful and decadent! Perfect for the cool weather approaching.
    Have you tried this with almond or cashew butter? We can’t have sunbutter in our home :(.
    I will have to try this-hopefully with another nut butter sub. Thanks SO much!

• September 12, 2014 at 7:06 am

Hi Sabrina, I used seeds so you could try almond seeds – not butter – to make this.

• September 12, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Oh, my goodness, I am so excited to try this recipe! My son is allergic to dairy, soy, and cashews, so most cheesecake (even dairy free cheesecake) is out for us. Does this have the same texture as a traditional cheesecake or is it more like a no bake cheesecake? Thank you!!

• September 12, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Hi Holly, It’s more like a no bake cheesecake. I hope you enjoy it hun!

• Kae
    September 19, 2014 at 10:32 am

My family is fine with the taste of coconut, but not the texture – would I be able to substitute something else for the coconut flakes in the crust? Thanks!

• Lucy8a
    September 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED….
    *IF* I can figure out how to make this into ICE CREAM!

• Amber Van Sweden
    September 26, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe & hope it turns out as well as yours looks. I added more spices to the filling mixture (cinnamon, cloves, ginger & nutmeg). I also use medjool dates instead of the ones listed as medjool are what my grocer has available & I was eager to make this recipe. I do not have a food processor so I used my blender but paid attention to your directions regarding consistency. Thank you VERY much for posting a good for us treat. I make a pumpkin cheesecake that has won the family-in-law over for years. As I grow older, sugar hurts my joints and I have almost completely omitted it from my intake. I occasionally indulge, but pay for it soo thereafter with a migraine & sore joints. I am so glad you took time to create this recipe. I hope this will be a new accepted Christmas goodie tradition. If not, I’ll make my original recipe for everyone else & have my own cake! Who says you can’t have your cake & eat it too? 😉 Thank you again 🙂

• Samantha
    October 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I made this as directed but found the banana flavor way too strong. Maybe it was too ripe or there were not enough spices. Very pretty though! I wonder if a ripe plantain would work instead. I don’t find plantains overpowering. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

• October 9, 2014 at 7:34 am

I hope the plantains help the flavor hun. You can also add more pumpkin spice.

• October 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm

It’s pretty tasty 🙂 I hope you enjoy it hun!

• Christine
    December 2, 2014 at 3:55 am

Hi Kelly

I made this cheesecake and it is devine! i added a couple of tbsps of home made dairy and nut free cream cheese. i had to give it away to keep myself from eating it all myself. i kept taking slivers of it everytime i opened the fridge. the one colleague, who is not big on pumpkin said for something that is without dairy or sugar, and has Pumpkin it is oddly decadent! he has asked that i make a strawberry version for him. thanks for this! looking forward to more great treats!

• December 8, 2014 at 10:50 am

Aw, that is awesome to hear 🙂 I love the idea of making a strawberry version 🙂

• April 9, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Your cheesecake looks amazing! It came out beautifully . I would love to try this.

• Georgina
    July 3, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Does this freeze well? It’s an amazing recipe, I omit dates and it’s still lovely.

• Sherryl van den Heuvel
    September 15, 2017 at 9:45 am

Looks delicious! I will definitely be making this up!! Great dish for my cravings for my sweet boys too!!
    Thanks!!