This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on October 4, 2022
Showing your dogs you love them isn’t limited to walks, pats, or belly rubs. Everybody loves a treat, and so does your canine buddy.
Too much trouble choosing treats from the store? Not to worry; making your furry friend quality homemade treats is easier than you think.
The Kind of Treat You Should Make for your Dog
There are so many different treats you can make for your dog. But when sifting through these options, you must consider the ingredients and if your dog is allergic to them.
A simple peanut butter recipe
Peanut butter is always a popular canine treat, and this recipe that will get your furry friend super excited.
This peanut butter is safe for dogs, low in salt, and full of fat, sugar, and protein. It is nutritious to your dog while simultaneously satisfying its sweet tooth with four simple ingredients that won’t put a dent in your wallet.
Steps to Make Peanut Butter Treats for Your Dog
To make a moderate amount of the right peanut butter treats for your dog, you will need:
- Two and a half cups of flour
- One cup of peanut butter
- One egg
- One cup of water
- A bowl
- A rolling pin
- Cookie cutter (optional)
- Your oven preheated to 350oF
With your ingredients now complete, you can begin to mix.
Pour all the ingredients except the water into your bowl. Then mix them while adding water until the dough is firm and sticky.
3. Shaping The Dough
Lay your dough on a neat, flat, and lightly floured surface and roll it out with your rolling pin. It is important that the dough still has some volume and is not too flat.
Once your dough is flattened, you can cut out your dog treat shapes with the cookie cutter. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can get creative with a knife – remember that your dog probably won’t mind what it looks like!
Traditionally though, most dog biscuits are usually bone-shaped. You can consider that to make the treats more appealing to your dog and to let other members of the household know who they are intended for.
This is the final stage of making your own dog peanut butter treat.
After shaping the dough, place them carefully into the oven and let them bake for about 15-20 minutes.
You should take them out just as the bottom starts to darken to be perfectly crunchy for your dog. Any longer than that, and you risk the treat being overly dry and crumbly.
Why this peanut butter recipe?
The best thing about this recipe is that it is the perfect homemade dog treat to make in bulk and store for your dog.
You can store it for up to 8 months. That is impressive, considering that it is made with only natural ingredients, no additives, or preservatives.
This way, you can satisfy your dog without enduring the stress of regularly measuring, mixing, and baking.
Tips to get it just right!
1. Do not use peanut butter containing xylitol or any artificial sweeteners to make your homemade dog treats. They can be toxic to your dog, so you should go for peanut butter with ONLY natural ingredients.
2. Although whole wheat flour is the best and more nutritious option for making your dog treats, you can also use other kinds of flour. For example, all-purpose flour is fine as long as your dog isn’t allergic to gluten. Coconut flour can be a great alternative too.
3. You should not feed your dog a lot of your first batch of homemade dog treats so that you can monitor their reaction to the treat and confirm that they aren’t allergic to any of the ingredients.
4. Your Peanut Butter Homemade Treats don’t need to be limited to the four ingredients mentioned.
You can include other ingredients as you please, such as:
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is safe for dogs. You can even use cinnamon butter.
- Honey: It’s natural and can make the treat even tastier
Making homemade treats for your dogs equals peace of mind. It’s another way to express your love and care for your dog- and you know they deserve it. A happy dog is a happy owner, so you’ve nothing to lose.