Paleo Soft Pretzels

The perfect Paleo Pretzel that is soft, just like the ones at the ballpark! Grain-free, it’s made with Tapioca flour and coconut flour and is yeast-free.

paleo soft pretzels

I was trying to come up with an English muffin when I created this recipe. Luckily, when I tasted the cooked dough for the first time, I immediately thought of the soft pretzels that you get from the ball park.

For the best results with this recipe bake them, enjoy one or two, and then let them sit out on your counter top over night. They develop that dryish, stale taste of store-bought pretzels. Well, at least, that is how I like them.

I made these with butter but you can use olive oil or coconut oil as a replacement. However, I’m primal and the butter gives them that same buttery taste of traditional soft pretzels.

Try these Paleo Soft Pretzels with mustard and you will be blown away!

paleo soft pretzels

What youโ€™ll need for this recipe

• Water
  • Coconut oil
  • Sea salt
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Tapioca flour
  • Baking soda
  • Baking powder
  • Coconut flour
  • Egg

How to make Paleo Pretzels

In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, butter, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.

Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.

Add in the tapioca flour and stir for 2 minutes until you get a wet paste.

Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams – roughly 3 seconds.

Next add in the coconut flour[  and egg and mix well until you get a dough.

Pinch of a 1″ – 2″ piece of dough and roll into a 1/2″ round by 6″ – 7″ log.

Twist into a pretzel shape and place on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and brush with butter.

Sprinkle coarse salt on the surface and bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.

Notes and Variations:

Update: I created a video tutorial to help with this recipe.

I have had numerous people try this recipe and it has been hit or miss.  Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly.  Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it work.  Some need to use a food processor or a kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.

There are a lot of factors that go into baking

1) your oven

2) your altitude and humidity  and possibly even the flour you are using.

I only use Bobโ€™s Red Mill Tapioca Flour  in all of my baking.    I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe and you will have to watch the video to make sure your dough looks similar to what I have shown.

Another tip: Read through the comments to see what others have done!

If you like this Paleo Soft Pretzels recipe, youโ€™ll love:

Paleo Cinnamon Rolls

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Paleo Pizza Crust

Did you make and love this recipe?  Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!

paleo gluten free soft pretzel
Paleo Pretzels

Paleo Pretzels

Yield: 6
Paleo Soft Pretzels that are chewy just like the ones you get at the ballpark

1. First, please the video in the post before you start this recipe.
  2. In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, coconut oil, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.
  4. Add in the tapioca flour[ and stir for 2 minutes until you get a wet paste.
  5. Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams - roughly 3 seconds.
  6. Next add in the coconut flour[ and egg and mix well until you get a dough.
  7. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you are having issues getting it to combine, you can try putting it into a food processor or Blendtec/Vitamix to get it to form a dough.
  8. Pinch of a 1" - 2" piece of dough and roll into a 1/2" round by 6" - 7" log.
  9. Twist into a pretzel shape and place on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and brush with melted ghee.
  10. Sprinkle coarse salt on the surface and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:
Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 350 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 1404mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 5g

ยฉ 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Linda July 14, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I cannot use tapioca or arrowroot flour. Would almond flour work?

1. Kelly Bejelly July 15, 2015 at 6:51 am

No, it wouldn’t hun. Almond flour does not have the elasticity to make this reciope work.

1. Jenn March 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hubs would love these!

2. TerriAnn @ Cookies & Clogs March 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Mmm, I’m sure these taste SOOO much better than a frozen pre-made ones sitting under a heat lamp. They look delicious!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Ha! Yep, they do taste better than that ๐Ÿ™‚

1. donna anton June 4, 2015 at 12:19 pm

My son is allergic to tapioca. What would be the best substitute for that ingredient?

1. justin January 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

arrowroot is also derived from cassava witch is what tapioca is derived from, so I wouldn’t recommend arrowroot to someone with a allergy to tapioca – just a FYI : )

3. LyndaS March 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I declare you the authority on Paleo foods! (Can I do that?) Your recipes and photos are absolutely amazing.

1. Kelly Bejelly March 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Aw, thanks Lynda! That is so sweet of you to say.

1. Jessica January 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

QUESTION! CAN I USE ARROWROOT INSTEAD OF TOPICIA?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Yes, some have done this with no issues ๐Ÿ™‚

4. April Golightly March 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm

These are sooo cool! I am pinning them to save for later.

5. Jennifer March 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I do mostly like the hot soft pretzels so I’m not sure I’d let them dry out like you suggested but I cant wait to try the recipe out regardless. Maybe I’ll eat some right away and then try leaving them out. then I can decide which way works best.

6. Shell Fruscione March 12, 2013 at 1:55 am

Those look AMAZING! Soft pretzels are my ultimate weakness.

7. Penelope (NYC Blogger) March 12, 2013 at 7:37 am

I can’t believe you made these, they look fabulous! And now I want one ๐Ÿ™ Now, right nowโ€ฆdo you ship??

8. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell March 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Oh yum! I’ve been a little obsessed with pretzels lately! I’m always obsessed with bagged pretzels, but lately I’ve been loving the homemade ones too.

9. Lisa March 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm

These look sooo good!

10. Robin Gagnon {Mom Foodie} March 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hats off to you that you can make edible paleo baked goods… my last attempt at such a thing was so dreaful it ended out directly in the trash can ๐Ÿ˜›

1. Kelly Bejelly March 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Robin ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve had several failures when trying to come up with a “replacement” grain recipe.

11. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Soft pretzels are pretty much my weakness. They are SO good, especially loaded with cheese sauce. ๐Ÿ˜‰ These look perfect!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

OH, yes! I broke out my raw smoked cheddar cheese sauce for this and destroyed it!

12. Deniece March 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

My batch is in the oven now. Can I use the leftover dough to make the cinnamon roll recipe? I’m really too lazy to start over but want cinnamon rolls! haha

1. Kelly Bejelly March 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm

The vinegar wouldn’t work well ๐Ÿ™‚ You could always try but I wouldn’t recommend it ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Deniece March 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm

These were amazing!!!! They came out buttery and delicious but a little sweet. Maybe from the coconut? I just bought coconut flour & tapioca flour tonight so I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. I’m making the cinnamon rolls in the morning. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

1. Kelly Bejelly March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you like them ๐Ÿ™‚ The cinnamon rolls are really good too so I hope you like them as much ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Kelly Bejelly March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you like them ๐Ÿ™‚ The cinnamon rolls are the really good too so I hope you like them as much ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Michaela March 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

I am dairy free – does any body have a suggestion to replace the butter?

14. Kathleen March 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Definitely putting these on my “to try” list.

15. Leilani March 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love soft pretzels!

16. Maryann March 20, 2013 at 10:47 am

those look amazing.

17. Samantha J March 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

*coarse salt

18. Kristin March 20, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Can you substitute anything for the tapioca flour? Thanks.

1. Kelly Bejelly March 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

I haven’t tried any other flours so I can’t suggest anything. Some have suggested arrowroot but it’s a different starch so I’m not sure how it would work.

19. Jennifer March 21, 2013 at 6:32 am

These look really good, paleo or not!

20. Rina March 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I don’t have either of those flours. Can I substitute with quinoa flour?

1. Kelly Bejelly March 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Rina, I don’t eat grains so I can’t give you advice on how it would turn out. Sorry hun.

1. Leslie July 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I’m sorry but quinoa is not a grain its a seed. Big difference! Thanks for the recipe.

1. Kelly Bejelly July 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hi Leslie ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re right! It is a seed but it’s not recommended for the Paleo diet since it causes some of the inflammation issues in the gut that grains do.

21. Angela@AboutAMom March 29, 2013 at 11:21 am

My mom was just saying the other day that she wants to make some soft pretzels, so I think we’ll give this recipe a try. They look great!

22. Diane March 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

OMG these were so good! They don’t smell so good cooking so my whole family was pretty suspicious but baked up and dipped in some seasoned tomato sauce they struck a home run with the kids. I have orders to pack these in their lunch boxes!

1. Kelly Bejelly May 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Aw, I’m so glad they worked for you Diane ๐Ÿ™‚ Ha. My son loves them too.

23. Morgan March 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hey is there a way to substitute something for the butter or ghee? I dont do any dairy?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Sorry Morgan, I just saw this. You can use olive oil.

24. maddie April 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Am i missing something? I tried making these with keeping all the ingredients on the stove and it turned out crumby and the flour wouldn’t combine with the other ingredients. I then tried making it AGAIN with just boiling the first step then adding the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl. Both times the “dough” crumbles apart and does not make pretzel shapes. Two batches in the garbage.

1. Kelly Bejelly April 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

I’m sorry you’re having issues with the recipe hun. I’m planning on sharing video tutorials on this and my cinnamon roll recipe later in the month and will email you when they are up.

2. Renee October 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Yes, mine did the same but when I threw the whole gooey mess of half combined liquids and flour from the pan in the Blendtec (or a food processor would work great too), they combined super nicely and were the perfect consistency! I was really worried I just wasted all the ingredients at that very same stage and wondered if they would ever combine, but they did perfectly with a little kitchen appliance intervention!!! To help another mom out whose son has other dietary restrictions, I also tried these egg free with an egg replacer (Energy brand) and was floored that they turned out perfectly as well. I used AMAZING recipe!!! Thank you SO much for posting it…my kiddos are in love and now my daughter can have her soft pretzel dough for her school’s alphabet party just like everyone else!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thank you so much for the tip Renee! Did you by chance watch the video? I’m so glad to hear your kiddo can now be included in her school party now. I never thought of that so that just makes my week!

25. Miranda May 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I am making them as I type this. I hope they turn out ok. The dough looked a little funkey. The coconut flour didn’t really want to mix into the mixture that was already there. How do you kneed the dough with it so hot? My fingers were screaming haha! Also, Do you add the coconut flour and egg while pan is still on heat or no?

Thanks! amazing recipes as always. Im determined to get this one down because I love pretzles!

1. Kelly Bejelly May 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm

You should let the tapoica cool for at least 5 minutes before adding in the coconut flour ๐Ÿ™‚ It should be warm but not so hot to touch that it hurts. Remove the pan from the heat, let the tapioca cool and then add in the coconut flour and egg. I hope it worked for you hun!

26. Courtney craig May 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Would arrowroot powder work instead of tapioca?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m not sure to be honest. I know that the are from different plants though. Sorry hun.

27. Jana Rust May 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Hi! I was so excited to try the recipe and then…it didn’t work out ๐Ÿ™ I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong. I followed it to a “t”. The dough, well, I’m not sure I could call it that…it became just this sandy mass that would crumble to pieces if I even just attempted to roll it. I used “tapioca starch flour”, having been told it’s the same as tapioca flour. Could that have been the culprit of my failed attempt? I REALLY want these pretzels to work!!

28. Ana June 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I just tried this recipe after watching the video, to make sure I wouldn’t get the crumbly issue that some got. It didn’t work. i’m not sure what i did wrong, but i’m guessing the problem is with the coconut flour. I’m going to try again soon, but next time i’ll add the coconut flour slowly and add less than the suggested amount and see if that works.

1. Kelly Bejelly June 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I hope the next time works out for you Ana. I think that reducing the coconut flour might do the trick.

29. Erin August 16, 2013 at 5:45 am

Thanks for this recipe! But you really need to give them a sodium bicarb bath prior to baking. This will give them their characteristic brown color. I will try this though!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks for tip Erin! I’ll have to see if that works with the dough the next time I make these ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Tanya August 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Is there a sub for tapioca flour?

1. Kelly Bejelly August 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I haven’t used it myself, but I have had some readers share that they have used arrowroot. I can’t guarantee the same results though.

31. Paleo moxie September 16, 2013 at 8:39 pm

These are great! A little sweeter than expected. I used olive oil instead of butter or ghee. I ended up drizzling them with honey and ground cinnamon.

1. Kelly Bejelly September 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

Now that is a great way to kick this recipe up a notch!

32. Cheryl September 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

I am wondering if you cooled your liquid ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. I have arrowroot and it tends to be slimy in hot liquids.

33. Cheryl September 19, 2013 at 9:14 am

I just watched your video tutorial and got my answer. Thank you.

34. Sarah October 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Can these be made into a pretzle bun, you know for burgers or sandwiches? Not sure if the same oven temp or cook time would be the same or different. Thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

The only issue I see with that is you can not make large buns. They will take forever to cook through so make smaller buns, perhaps press them flat a bit too.

35. Tara November 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Didn’t work at all. I even added an extra egg…I’ve watched the video twice. :-/ I will try one more time, but I followed the directions to the letter, so I’m not thinking anything is going to change…the dough SMELLS like pretzels though, so I reallllyyy want to try again.

1. Kelly Bejelly November 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm

What was wrong with it? Did it not stick together?

36. Dianna @ Oy Vey a Day January 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I am a big fan of soft pretzels. I can see why this was one of your most popular recipes from 2013! I can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2014.

37. Tez January 2, 2014 at 12:47 am

Hi Kelly! thanks for the recipe. Just a question though under ‘instructions’ step 1. Do we melt the butter then add the other ingredients?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 2, 2014 at 8:22 am

Hi Tez, I don’t melt the butter first. I just let it melt with the ingredients ๐Ÿ™‚

38. Janel January 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Kelly,
    These are amazing!!!!!!! Thank you for your hard work and dedication in helping people eat healthfully and deliciously. You are awesome!
    Also do you reside in Portland, ME?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thank you Janel ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m in Portland, OR ๐Ÿ™‚

39. Laura January 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Had the hardest time rolling these- they kept breaking and falling apart.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I would try adding one more egg to the batter Laura.

40. Laura January 16, 2014 at 2:05 pm

These were NOT good!! They can’t be called “soft” pretzels. They were crumbly, not flaky soft pretzels. And they were SUPER sweet due to the coconut flour. Someone else said they tasted like coconut dough cookies. Good try…

1. Kelly Bejelly January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Sorry they didn’t work out for you Laura.

41. Danielle February 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This was my second attempt at making gluten free soft pretzels and they turned out great! (The first time I used another recipe and they were a dry, non-tasty mess ๐Ÿ˜‰ I did need to add another egg, but I suspect that had to do w/the brand of coconut flour that I used. Thank you for a great recipe!

1. jaime April 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

These sound amazing! Thank you – I can’t wait to try them! I was wondering though, if I changed the ratio between the coconut flour and tapioca flour? Like adding more tapioca than coconut, keeping the same total {1/2 cup/1cup} amount of flour in the recipe, do you think it would change the stability? Or taste? I don’t love using a ton of of coconut flour as sometimes I feel like it overpowers the taste. I suppose I should just give it a go as is as it seem the majority of people say they are deliscious!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 19, 2014 at 11:53 am

I really don’t notice the coconut taste but you can try it and see if you like it better Jaime!

42. Judith April 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I’ve been scouring the web for the best paleo soft pretzel recipe and this is not it, sadly. They are a decent “thing”, but not like the traditional soft pretzels I’m craving. As one poster said, they have a sweet taste from the coconut flour…like a coconut cookie. Mine also turned out VERY soft in the middle…even after cooking for 40 mins (not a good softness, more of a mushy softness). Thanks for your try, but I will keep looking! I will definitely be trying some other recipes from your site, though! The Chocolate cereal recipe looks amazing and the crispy chicken looks good too!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Sorry it didn’t work out for you hun!

43. elib June 8, 2014 at 7:33 am

i like all the paleo recipes, however…i am a bit concerned about tapioca flour and arrowroot, and such. Arent’ they all processed , besides being all starch…and perhaps not low carb..etc?! Paleo diet suggests eating no carbs or low carb fruits and veggies…am i correct?

1. Kelly Bejelly June 8, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi Elib, thanks for your questions. First, Paleo is not a low carb diet. However, if you are trying to lose weight you should reduce carbs until you hit your goal weight. Tapioca flour is a gray area food and you should see how your body reacts to it and decide for yourself if it’s something you want to include in your diet. I like it, although I limit it because I am trying to lose weight, because I have an issue with nuts.

1. Karen June 9, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi! What would you suggest to substitute the egg?

1. Kelly Bejelly June 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

You can use the energy egg re placer or the chia egg recipe ๐Ÿ™‚

44. Nick Cole July 22, 2014 at 10:43 am

I tried to make these. The “dough” in the end was very hard to roll into long tubes without it breaking. Was extremely frustrating. I even put it in the food processor to try to help w/ the “dough” consistency of it prior to kneading it and then rolling them into long tubes to make the pretzels.

1. Kelly Bejelly July 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Did you try adding an extra egg for more moisture? Sorry it was a pain Nick!

45. Wally July 31, 2014 at 3:34 pm

In the recipe you call for 1/2 cup butter, but in the video you pretty obviously use 1/2 stick which is only 1/4 cup. Could that be why many people’s batches turn out bad? I’m going to try it with 1/2 stick instead of 1/2 cup.

1. Kelly Bejelly August 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hi Wally, I think the issue is the butter I use is 1/2 cup per 1/2 stick.

46. Kelsey August 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

Hi,

I made these and I’ve never been a fan of the coconut flour taste and it was soo strong that I couldn’t stand it. Can I substitute all tapioca flour for the coconut flour? Or do you have any other suggestions to avoid coconut flour?

Thank you!!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 14, 2014 at 9:16 pm

You could try almond flour but you would need to reduce the liquid a touch. I’ve never made it with this flour so you would be flying solo.

47. Lauren Worsh September 23, 2014 at 12:25 am

Great recipe! Thank you. I dipped the warm pretzels in more melted butter when eating them!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

Yum! Just how I like to eat them to Lauren!

48. Tamara October 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Hi Kelly!

Realizing now (AFTER watching your video tutorial, ugh) that I didn’t add enough arrowroot (subbed for tapioca) to make more of a paste and the result is crumbly dough. I don’t want to see it go to waste (has been sitting in the fridge for 2 days) – can you give me any suggestion to make this more “gluey” by adding more arrowroot? Can I just add the powder, or should I make a paste then knead into the dough? Thanks!!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Yes, I would let the mixture warm up on the counter and then add in more flour. Good luck hun!

49. Kelly Fontaine October 6, 2014 at 8:14 am

Used Olive Oil but when I mixed in the tapioca flour we had liquid left over 1/4 cup that would not absorb, just poured it off and continued on and it all seemed to work out fine, but was wondering why it would not all absorb, any ideas
    Thanks
    Kelly

1. Kelly Bejelly October 9, 2014 at 7:35 am

Hrmm. .. I’m glad it worked out hun. Tapioca is not a standard flour so it may have been the brand you used.

1. Shikha November 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Thank you so much for these recipes! Each one of them worked out great! THANK YOU!!

50. Konstanze November 15, 2014 at 4:18 am

Hello from Germany! Baked these prezels yesterday! So delicous! Thank you!

1. Konstanze November 15, 2014 at 4:19 am

Sorry, my rate: 10 points ๐Ÿ™‚

51. Jessica December 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm

These came out so great I had to comment! The recipe was very forgiving. I was cooking with my three year old who dumped in some extra arrowroot (we subbed for tapioca which I’m sensitive too). I just decreased the coconut flour to compensate. Very happy with the results and thanks for a fantastic recipe! I’m 7 weeks pregnant and have been having the hardest time cooking and eating (which I usually love), so having a random soft pretzel craving and coming across this recipe was such a blessing. Also, I was a little concerned that coconut flour wouldn’t taste good in pretzel form, but so glad I was wrong! We made a cheese sauce to go with that turned out so well too. Thanks again for a fantastic recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 18, 2014 at 11:59 am

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed it Jessica!

52. Angela December 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hi Kelly! Thanks for this recipe! These tasted so good dipped in a little mustard. My husband and I ate the whole batch! My dough was a little crumbly in that it was fine until the roll got too long so I couldn’t roll it long enough to twist into a pretzel shape so I just rolled them into bite sized balls and called them pretzel bites. Lol! I still baked them for 30 min and they were golden brown and delicious! Thanks again. :0)
    Warmly, Angela

1. Kelly Bejelly December 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Yum! I’m so glad you enjoyed it Angela!

53. Linnea January 25, 2015 at 2:08 pm

First, these are amazing I wrapped them around mini Hebrew National dogs and my kids had pretzel dogs for lunch they were sooo good. I was wondering have you or anyone else subbed almond flour for the coconut flour? I like them the way they are, but my husband doesn’t enjoy coconut flour. Thanks.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 26, 2015 at 10:45 am

I have never made these with almond flour and I would need to do some testing. I’m so glad you enjoyed them Linnea!

54. Dee February 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I followed the directions exactly but my dough did not hold together enough to roll into a rope, so I ended up making pretzel sticks. They were tasty but because of all the coconut flour they tasted nothing like pretzels, more like dense coconut bread. Still great.

55. Stephanie February 24, 2015 at 1:43 pm

These were really good, and I was very thankful for the video tutorial!

One thing I would add to this to make it taste more like a pretzel is to brush the formed dough with sodium bicarbonate water. (water with some baking soda mixed in) After it comes out of the oven, you can dip it in melted grass-fed butter, which gives it that mall-soft-pretzel flavor. Leftover dough refrigerates well too, so that you can bake fresh what you need.

For anyone having trouble with the recipe, it’s really beneficial to watch the video. DON’T use a whisk to make the tapioca mix “better.” (That was my mistake with my first batch.)

1. Kelly Bejelly February 26, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I’m glad it worked out for you hun!

56. Julia March 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Salted or unsalted butter? Or does it not matter? So excited to try these! Thank you! Your video convinced me I could do it!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 6, 2015 at 8:38 am

Good luck Julia! I’ve used both types with no issues.

57. Jacq March 21, 2015 at 10:45 am

Hi Kelly, can I use olive oil for the glaze instead of butter, my digestive system doesn’t like butter or anything dairy.

58. Austin March 27, 2015 at 10:34 am

For anyone having trouble… My pretzels (and an attempt at a roll) are baking right now, so I can’t verify anything with regards to flavor yet. However, with regards to the process of getting a dough you can handle:

Kelly mentions in her video that altitude and such may affect your results. I would imagine the humidity and just general weather, too, might have an effect. I’m in New York City. We had a thunderstorm yesterday and it’s relatively humid compared to past days. I also live on the 17th floor of a an apartment building. So: Not sea level, not dry. It would be interesting for me to try in a dry heat or the dead of winter.

Anyway, I used half of the recipe since I was just doing a test run. I was able to get a dough that I could actually handle without having it stick all over my fingers. I followed everyone’s comments and her video as a cautionary tale.

I removed the solution from the heat as soon as all of it was boiled, frothy and bubbling. I waited a bit and then put all the tapioca in. I probably should have waited a smidge longer because after the flour solidified into a sticky substance, there was still a little fluid leftover from the solution, but it turned out fine after some vigorous mixing.

After letting it cool, I followed the rest of her steps. I also put the coconut flour in only a bit at a time, stirred, and tried to coat the entire “blob” with the coconut flour / egg mix. As the coconut flour seemed to stop incorporating, I put in a bit more egg. I had this luxury because as I had halved the recipe, I had some egg left over. (I had beaten the eggs prior to beginning anything else.) You may want to start with half your egg and a bit of coconut flour, mix, then dump more flour and the rest of your egg in, then continue mixing.

I ended up with a blob that I could knead into a ball. I was kneading atop a piece of parchment paper that already had some tapioca flour spread on it. Also note that, like in Kelly’s video, I had leftover coconut flour that hadn’t yet incorporated into the dough. I only sprinkled a little more on the dough blob and then discarded the rest. I would say, don’t try to force all the coconut flour into the dough–especially since some don’t like the sweetness. (I do like it, myself.)

I should note that I did let the pretzels and bun lie in a solution of baking soda and water (1 cup water, boiled and removed from heat; mix in 2 tablespoons of baking soda until dissolved; let it cool to just lukewarm) to get a browning effect.

So I have three pretzels and one bun baking, and a pizza crust that I was able to roll / press out lying in wait (I only have a toaster oven so I have to bake in small batches). We’ll see how the pizza crust works out, but the others look to be browning, rising, and expanding nicely.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks Kelly for the recipe. I’ll report back with texture and taste.

1. Austin March 27, 2015 at 10:48 am

Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Doesn’t taste like a “real” pretzel, but I never needed it to; it tastes like a baked good, the texture is right, and the flavor is still good. Fantastic recipe.

2. Austin March 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

Last comment. I’ve verified that, rolled out, this works fantastically as a pizza crust.

It also works well for a small bun / roll. Just make sure to bake it for longer than the advertised 25-30. When I opened it up it was still a little damp so I threw it back in for a few more minutes. Held my egg sandwich very well and I’m sure it would to nicely for a burger.

1. Kelly Bejelly March 27, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Thank you Austin for taking the to leave such amazing feedback and help. I hope you enjoyed them hun!

59. Michelle P July 25, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I made these today and they turned out perfect! I watched the video and followed the recipe exactly, using ghee. After tasting the dough, I realized they are a bit sweeter than a normal soft pretzel, so I sprinkled some with cinnamon and raw sugar (could use coconut palm sugar I’m sure!) after brushing with the ghee and those were definitely my favorite! I think I’d mix cinnamon into the dough next time! So tasty! They definitely aren’t the same texture or taste as a soft pretzel, but I think they are a really great substitute for those who can’t, (or choose not to), eat the real thing! And with a nice dipping sauce they’d be extra yummy! Thank you!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I love what you did there Michelle! I will have to try that the next time I make these.

60. Sam September 29, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Do u think I could sub have the butter for applesauce bc I have seen it used as an oil replacement in other recipes

1. Kelly Bejelly October 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Hrmm. .. you could try. I’m honestly not sure it would work hun.

61. Michelle October 18, 2015 at 7:03 am

The dough turned out perfect the first time, but I have some experience using tapioca and coconut flours as we have been paleo/gluten free since December 2014. I am currently making ham buns with the recipe. Thanks!!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 26, 2015 at 9:08 am

Yeah! So glad it worked for you Michelle!

62. Laura November 6, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Think I could make the dough a day ahead, refrigerate overnight, and bake the next day? My daughter’s preschool class is having a “make our own pretzels” day, and I want to have something she can take.

1. Kelly Bejelly November 20, 2015 at 10:56 am

Yes, that should not be an issue hun. You will have to let the dough warm up.

63. Amya April 8, 2016 at 5:02 pm

People who aren’t getting a good dough don’t have the butter/water mixture hot enough? That was my problem the first time! Thanks! They are yummy!

64. Taylor Johnson January 5, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Loved these, and my friends that don’t eat paleo loved them too! Had fun making them with our kids!

65. gina January 19, 2017 at 1:44 pm

i had high hopes for this. unfortunately it was a major bomb. I tried everything to save the materials as I work with these ingredients a lot. But the recipe is flawed and the taste was not good. sorry I wanted to like them.

66. Shirlgirl February 8, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for the recipe! We used ghee and didn’t even bother trying to make it into dough…just put the dough hook on the Ninja Food Processor, put in the ingredients after blending all of them up except the coconut and egg addition, added those two ingredients and “pulsed” until the dough was perfect! Brushed them with more melted ghee and coarse salt. We made them larger than your suggestion (about double in size), so we covered them with tinfoil at about 25 minutes and then baked them for an extra 15 min. They turned out great! We give it a 4 star because, unless you turn them into cinnamon pretzels topped with coconut sugar or something, you do taste the sweetness of the coconut flour…which doesn’t really matter to us, but can understand where this might not be desirable for others.

67. Ken March 25, 2017 at 2:00 pm

The dough seemed very dry and hard to roll out without breaking. I added a bit more water to the dough. It seemed to help, but was still brittle while rolling out.

Any suggestions?

68. Vicky March 25, 2017 at 3:32 pm

If I were to substitute with a different starch what do you recommend? Tapioca messes up my stomach

69. Majesty May 3, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I just have to say, these were a BLAST to make! Science experiment to play-doh, with deliciousness as a result! I watched the video first, which was a great help, and made your pretzel dogs. I didn’t taste the coconut..I think because of all the butter..ha. Thank you for your efforts!

70. Alicia May 14, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Hi. Do you have the nutritional info?

71. Amanda May 25, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Thank you for the recipe- I just made these with substituting the butter for coconut oil. I will attempt butter next time as these turned out too sweet. Combined with the non gluten flour manifestation, its best to omit one taste memory at a time;) Bravo on your combination- in the end, these are great with a good mustard!

72. Devinn P. June 16, 2017 at 10:49 am

With the coconut flour do these pretzel taste like coconut bread?

73. vee September 25, 2017 at 6:52 am

Hi
    I found this recipe and I tried it! Failed. Dough was dry ad crumby what could have gone wrong?

1. Kelly Bejelly October 29, 2017 at 10:59 am

I’ve found it works better to mix the ingredients when the flour mixture is warm, almost hot.

74. Robyn October 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I tried these, and the dough kept crumbling as I tried to roll it. When I finally thought I had the right consistency, and tried to twist it into shape, it started crumbling again and I was basically just trying to piece it together. I watched the video before trying, but mine definitely did not turn out like yours. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong?

1. Kelly Bejelly October 29, 2017 at 11:02 am

I’ve found it’s best to mix all the ingredients together with the dough is warm, almost hot. It just mixes easier. Also, what brand flour did you use?

75. Shelly October 13, 2017 at 8:11 am

Super easy recipe! Loved it. Only question–mine started getting brown (I left them in a few minutes longer; 33 minutes). I took them out, but they were still a little doughy in the center. Is that normal? I made my dough logs thin, about a 1/2 inch diameter. I just didn’t want to leave them in much longer and have them burn. Thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 18, 2017 at 4:30 pm

You can try covering them with foil so they can cook longer without browning hun.

76. T October 26, 2017 at 1:37 pm

OMG!!! These. Are. Ah. Mazing!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe. I haven’t tried a recipe of your yours I didn’t love. Thank you!

Have you used this dough for other things? I think pizza would be amazing.

77. Erin November 3, 2017 at 1:51 pm

How far in advance can I make the dough? Can I make it now and use in several hours when I am ready to use it? Also, can I freeze leftover dough to be used later?

1. Kelly Bejelly November 4, 2017 at 8:09 pm

It’s better to parbake the dough, then put it in the fridge or freezer hun.

78. Elena January 19, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Hello, Iโ€™m not sure what I did wrong but I followed all the steps according to the recipe and the video but when it came time to mix in the tapioca flour I would mix for 2 mins and the elastic dough would form but there was A lot of liquid left over and the dough wouldnโ€™t pick all of it up. I decided to start over thinking maybe if I boiled the liquid more there wouldnโ€™t be as much left over after mixing but I got the same result. So I poured out the excess liquid and continued with the recipe from there. I still got a good dough after continueing the recipe altoghough it a little sticky, but Iโ€™m hoping thatโ€™s how itโ€™s suppose to feel. I wrapped them around some apple gate hot dogs, popped them in the oven and Iโ€™m hoping they turn out good!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 29, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I hope it worked out well for you Elena!

79. Carissa March 22, 2018 at 9:46 am

I have tried these twice, and cannot get past the first part because the water and coconut oil mixture makes a gel-like paste, with water still in the pot. Am I doing something wrong?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 16, 2018 at 8:29 am

You want to try to mix when the mixture is warm – almost hot – but not too hot or you will cook the egg.

80. Maureen May 15, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I just made these tonight and enjoyed them a lot, but I had a totally opposite situation than all the people with dry, crumbly dough.

I live at 5000 ft and it is raining so I suspect that could be part of the reason why. I did the first step of adding the water, butter, salt and vinegar to a pot and brought it to a boil and took it immediately off the heat.

Then instead of pouring the tapioca starch into the pot, I put it in a plastic bowl and then added the wet ingredients from the pot to it (less heat that way), and I mixed it up. BUT it was the consistency of crepe batter. So I kept adding tapioca starch until I got to 1 cup total and figured I better stop.

Then I added the baking powder and soda and mixed it. When I added the coconut flour it totally soaked up all the liquid and formed a pretty nice dough, not wet at all. and I actually needed the egg to get it more moist. But after kneading the dough for a short while it was perfect! No problems with crumbling while I rolled out the pretzels. My pan was only big enough to fit 9 so I put the leftover ball of dough in a plastic bag until the other ones came out of the toaster oven. When I tried to roll the next batch out 30 minutes later I found the dough was breaking apart, so I think maybe if you don’t work quickly enough the dough starts to get dry? I don’t know. I put the dough ball in the fridge and I’m going to try making pigs in blankets tomorrow.

I thought they tasted pretty great! No bitterness like tapioca recipes can sometimes have. And next time I will try adding the coconut flour sooner and skip adding more tapioca and see what happens.

Thanks for this great recipe!

81. Steven November 15, 2018 at 10:27 am

They are delicious. This novice just successfully made his first batch of soft pretzels from your recipe…with one substitution…a flax egg for the egg. Tastes great. I had none of the problems mentioned in some of the posts…I did as you suggested and watched the video first…very helpful.