March 11, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo soft pretzels

I was trying to come up with an English muffin when I created this recipe. Luckily, when I tasted the cooked dough for the first time, I immediately thought of the soft pretzels that you get from the ball park.

For the best results with this recipe bake them, enjoy one or two, and then let them sit out on your counter top over night. They develop that dryish, stale taste of store-bought pretzels. Well, at least, that is how I like them.

I made these with butter but you can use olive oil or coconut oil as a replacement. However, I’m primal and the butter gives them that same buttery taste of traditional soft pretzels.

Try these Paleo Soft Pretzels with mustard and you will be blown away!

paleo soft pretzels

Notes:

Update: I created a video tutorial to help with this recipe.

I have had numerous people try this recipe and it has been hit or miss.  Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly.  Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it work.  Some need to use a food processor or a kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.

There are a lot of factors that go into baking  for instance 1) your oven 2) your altitude and humidity  and possibly even the flour you are using.  I only use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour  in all of my baking.    I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe and you will have to watch the video to make sure your dough looks similar to what I have shown.

Another tip: Read through the comments to see what others have done!

paleo gluten free soft pretzel

Paleo Pretzels

Glaze

1. First, please the video in the post before you start this recipe.

2. In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, butter, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.
  4. Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams - roughly 3 seconds.
  5. Next add in the coconut flour[  and egg and mix well until you get a dough.

6. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you are having issues getting it to combine, you can try putting it into a food processor or Blendtec/Vitamix to get it to form a dough.
  7. Pinch of a 1" - 2" piece of dough and roll into a 1/2" round by 6" - 7" log.
  8. Twist into a pretzel shape and place on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and brush with butter.
  9. Sprinkle coarse salt on the surface and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.

paleo gluten free soft pretzel

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: A Girl Worth Saving may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Linda
      July 14, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I cannot use tapioca or arrowroot flour. Would almond flour work?

• July 15, 2015 at 6:51 am

No, it wouldn’t hun. Almond flour does not have the elasticity to make this reciope work.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hubs would love these!

• March 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Mmm, I’m sure these taste SOOO much better than a frozen pre-made ones sitting under a heat lamp. They look delicious!

• March 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Ha! Yep, they do taste better than that 🙂

• donna anton
        June 4, 2015 at 12:19 pm

My son is allergic to tapioca. What would be the best substitute for that ingredient?

• March 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I declare you the authority on Paleo foods! (Can I do that?) Your recipes and photos are absolutely amazing.

• March 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Aw, thanks Lynda! That is so sweet of you to say.

• Jessica
        January 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

QUESTION! CAN I USE ARROWROOT INSTEAD OF TOPICIA?

• January 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Yes, some have done this with no issues 🙂

• March 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm

These are sooo cool! I am pinning them to save for later.

• March 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I do mostly like the hot soft pretzels so I’m not sure I’d let them dry out like you suggested but I cant wait to try the recipe out regardless. Maybe I’ll eat some right away and then try leaving them out. then I can decide which way works best.

• March 12, 2013 at 1:55 am

Those look AMAZING! Soft pretzels are my ultimate weakness.

• March 12, 2013 at 7:37 am

I can’t believe you made these, they look fabulous! And now I want one 🙁 Now, right now…do you ship??

• March 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Oh yum! I’ve been a little obsessed with pretzels lately! I’m always obsessed with bagged pretzels, but lately I’ve been loving the homemade ones too.

• March 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm

These look sooo good!

• March 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hats off to you that you can make edible paleo baked goods… my last attempt at such a thing was so dreaful it ended out directly in the trash can 😛

• March 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Robin 🙂 I’ve had several failures when trying to come up with a “replacement” grain recipe.

• March 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Soft pretzels are pretty much my weakness. They are SO good, especially loaded with cheese sauce. 😉 These look perfect!

• March 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

OH, yes! I broke out my raw smoked cheddar cheese sauce for this and destroyed it!

• Deniece
    March 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

My batch is in the oven now. Can I use the leftover dough to make the cinnamon roll recipe? I’m really too lazy to start over but want cinnamon rolls! haha

• March 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm

The vinegar wouldn’t work well 🙂 You could always try but I wouldn’t recommend it 🙂

• Deniece
        March 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm

These were amazing!!!! They came out buttery and delicious but a little sweet. Maybe from the coconut? I just bought coconut flour & tapioca flour tonight so I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. I’m making the cinnamon rolls in the morning. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

• March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you like them 🙂 The cinnamon rolls are really good too so I hope you like them as much 🙂

• March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yeah! I’m so glad you like them 🙂 The cinnamon rolls are the really good too so I hope you like them as much 🙂

• Michaela
    March 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

I am dairy free – does any body have a suggestion to replace the butter?

• March 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Definitely putting these on my “to try” list.

• March 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love soft pretzels!

• March 20, 2013 at 10:47 am

those look amazing.

• Samantha J
    March 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

*coarse salt

• Kristin
    March 20, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Can you substitute anything for the tapioca flour? Thanks.

• March 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

I haven’t tried any other flours so I can’t suggest anything. Some have suggested arrowroot but it’s a different starch so I’m not sure how it would work.

• March 21, 2013 at 6:32 am

These look really good, paleo or not!

• Rina
    March 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I don’t have either of those flours. Can I substitute with quinoa flour?

• March 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Rina, I don’t eat grains so I can’t give you advice on how it would turn out. Sorry hun.

• Leslie
        July 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I’m sorry but quinoa is not a grain its a seed. Big difference! Thanks for the recipe.

• July 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hi Leslie 🙂 You’re right! It is a seed but it’s not recommended for the Paleo diet since it causes some of the inflammation issues in the gut that grains do.

• March 29, 2013 at 11:21 am

My mom was just saying the other day that she wants to make some soft pretzels, so I think we’ll give this recipe a try. They look great!

• Diane
    March 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

OMG these were so good! They don’t smell so good cooking so my whole family was pretty suspicious but baked up and dipped in some seasoned tomato sauce they struck a home run with the kids. I have orders to pack these in their lunch boxes!

• May 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Aw, I’m so glad they worked for you Diane 🙂 Ha. My son loves them too.

• Morgan
    March 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hey is there a way to substitute something for the butter or ghee? I dont do any dairy?

• May 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Sorry Morgan, I just saw this. You can use olive oil.

• maddie
    April 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Am i missing something? I tried making these with keeping all the ingredients on the stove and it turned out crumby and the flour wouldn’t combine with the other ingredients. I then tried making it AGAIN with just boiling the first step then adding the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl. Both times the “dough” crumbles apart and does not make pretzel shapes. Two batches in the garbage.

• April 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

I’m sorry you’re having issues with the recipe hun. I’m planning on sharing video tutorials on this and my cinnamon roll recipe later in the month and will email you when they are up.

• Renee
      October 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Yes, mine did the same but when I threw the whole gooey mess of half combined liquids and flour from the pan in the Blendtec (or a food processor would work great too), they combined super nicely and were the perfect consistency! I was really worried I just wasted all the ingredients at that very same stage and wondered if they would ever combine, but they did perfectly with a little kitchen appliance intervention!!! To help another mom out whose son has other dietary restrictions, I also tried these egg free with an egg replacer (Energy brand) and was floored that they turned out perfectly as well. I used AMAZING recipe!!! Thank you SO much for posting it…my kiddos are in love and now my daughter can have her soft pretzel dough for her school’s alphabet party just like everyone else!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• October 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thank you so much for the tip Renee! Did you by chance watch the video? I’m so glad to hear your kiddo can now be included in her school party now. I never thought of that so that just makes my week!

• Miranda
    May 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I am making them as I type this. I hope they turn out ok. The dough looked a little funkey. The coconut flour didn’t really want to mix into the mixture that was already there. How do you kneed the dough with it so hot? My fingers were screaming haha! Also, Do you add the coconut flour and egg while pan is still on heat or no?

Thanks! amazing recipes as always. Im determined to get this one down because I love pretzles!

• May 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm

You should let the tapoica cool for at least 5 minutes before adding in the coconut flour 🙂 It should be warm but not so hot to touch that it hurts. Remove the pan from the heat, let the tapioca cool and then add in the coconut flour and egg. I hope it worked for you hun!

• Courtney craig
    May 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Would arrowroot powder work instead of tapioca?

• May 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m not sure to be honest. I know that the are from different plants though. Sorry hun.

• Jana Rust
    May 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Hi! I was so excited to try the recipe and then…it didn’t work out 🙁 I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong. I followed it to a “t”. The dough, well, I’m not sure I could call it that…it became just this sandy mass that would crumble to pieces if I even just attempted to roll it. I used “tapioca starch flour”, having been told it’s the same as tapioca flour. Could that have been the culprit of my failed attempt? I REALLY want these pretzels to work!!

• Ana
    June 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I just tried this recipe after watching the video, to make sure I wouldn’t get the crumbly issue that some got. It didn’t work. i’m not sure what i did wrong, but i’m guessing the problem is with the coconut flour. I’m going to try again soon, but next time i’ll add the coconut flour slowly and add less than the suggested amount and see if that works.

• June 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I hope the next time works out for you Ana. I think that reducing the coconut flour might do the trick.

• Erin
    August 16, 2013 at 5:45 am

Thanks for this recipe! But you really need to give them a sodium bicarb bath prior to baking. This will give them their characteristic brown color. I will try this though!

• August 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks for tip Erin! I’ll have to see if that works with the dough the next time I make these 🙂

• Tanya
    August 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Is there a sub for tapioca flour?

• August 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I haven’t used it myself, but I have had some readers share that they have used arrowroot. I can’t guarantee the same results though.

• Paleo moxie
    September 16, 2013 at 8:39 pm

These are great! A little sweeter than expected. I used olive oil instead of butter or ghee. I ended up drizzling them with honey and ground cinnamon.

• September 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

Now that is a great way to kick this recipe up a notch!

• Cheryl
    September 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

I am wondering if you cooled your liquid ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. I have arrowroot and it tends to be slimy in hot liquids.

• Cheryl
    September 19, 2013 at 9:14 am

I just watched your video tutorial and got my answer. Thank you.

• Sarah
    October 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Can these be made into a pretzle bun, you know for burgers or sandwiches? Not sure if the same oven temp or cook time would be the same or different. Thanks!

• October 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

The only issue I see with that is you can not make large buns. They will take forever to cook through so make smaller buns, perhaps press them flat a bit too.

• November 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Didn’t work at all. I even added an extra egg…I’ve watched the video twice. :-/ I will try one more time, but I followed the directions to the letter, so I’m not thinking anything is going to change…the dough SMELLS like pretzels though, so I reallllyyy want to try again.

• November 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm

What was wrong with it? Did it not stick together?

• January 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I am a big fan of soft pretzels. I can see why this was one of your most popular recipes from 2013! I can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2014.

• Tez
    January 2, 2014 at 12:47 am

Hi Kelly! thanks for the recipe. Just a question though under ‘instructions’ step 1. Do we melt the butter then add the other ingredients?

• January 2, 2014 at 8:22 am

Hi Tez, I don’t melt the butter first. I just let it melt with the ingredients 🙂

• Janel
    January 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Kelly,
    These are amazing!!!!!!! Thank you for your hard work and dedication in helping people eat healthfully and deliciously. You are awesome!
    Also do you reside in Portland, ME?

• January 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thank you Janel 🙂 I’m in Portland, OR 🙂

• Laura
    January 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Had the hardest time rolling these- they kept breaking and falling apart.

• January 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I would try adding one more egg to the batter Laura.

• Laura
    January 16, 2014 at 2:05 pm

These were NOT good!! They can’t be called “soft” pretzels. They were crumbly, not flaky soft pretzels. And they were SUPER sweet due to the coconut flour. Someone else said they tasted like coconut dough cookies. Good try…

• January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Sorry they didn’t work out for you Laura.

• Danielle
    February 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This was my second attempt at making gluten free soft pretzels and they turned out great! (The first time I used another recipe and they were a dry, non-tasty mess 😉 I did need to add another egg, but I suspect that had to do w/the brand of coconut flour that I used. Thank you for a great recipe!

• jaime
        April 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

These sound amazing! Thank you – I can’t wait to try them! I was wondering though, if I changed the ratio between the coconut flour and tapioca flour? Like adding more tapioca than coconut, keeping the same total {1/2 cup/1cup} amount of flour in the recipe, do you think it would change the stability? Or taste? I don’t love using a ton of of coconut flour as sometimes I feel like it overpowers the taste. I suppose I should just give it a go as is as it seem the majority of people say they are deliscious!

• April 19, 2014 at 11:53 am

I really don’t notice the coconut taste but you can try it and see if you like it better Jaime!

• Judith
    April 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I’ve been scouring the web for the best paleo soft pretzel recipe and this is not it, sadly. They are a decent “thing”, but not like the traditional soft pretzels I’m craving. As one poster said, they have a sweet taste from the coconut flour…like a coconut cookie. Mine also turned out VERY soft in the middle…even after cooking for 40 mins (not a good softness, more of a mushy softness). Thanks for your try, but I will keep looking! I will definitely be trying some other recipes from your site, though! The Chocolate cereal recipe looks amazing and the crispy chicken looks good too!

• April 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Sorry it didn’t work out for you hun!

• elib
    June 8, 2014 at 7:33 am

i like all the paleo recipes, however…i am a bit concerned about tapioca flour and arrowroot, and such. Arent’ they all processed , besides being all starch…and perhaps not low carb..etc?! Paleo diet suggests eating no carbs or low carb fruits and veggies…am i correct?

• June 8, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi Elib, thanks for your questions. First, Paleo is not a low carb diet. However, if you are trying to lose weight you should reduce carbs until you hit your goal weight. Tapioca flour is a gray area food and you should see how your body reacts to it and decide for yourself if it’s something you want to include in your diet. I like it, although I limit it because I am trying to lose weight, because I have an issue with nuts.

• Karen
        June 9, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi! What would you suggest to substitute the egg?

• June 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

You can use the energy egg re placer or the chia egg recipe 🙂

• Nick Cole
    July 22, 2014 at 10:43 am

I tried to make these. The “dough” in the end was very hard to roll into long tubes without it breaking. Was extremely frustrating. I even put it in the food processor to try to help w/ the “dough” consistency of it prior to kneading it and then rolling them into long tubes to make the pretzels.

• July 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Did you try adding an extra egg for more moisture? Sorry it was a pain Nick!

• Wally
    July 31, 2014 at 3:34 pm

In the recipe you call for 1/2 cup butter, but in the video you pretty obviously use 1/2 stick which is only 1/4 cup. Could that be why many people’s batches turn out bad? I’m going to try it with 1/2 stick instead of 1/2 cup.

• August 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hi Wally, I think the issue is the butter I use is 1/2 cup per 1/2 stick.

• Kelsey
    August 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

Hi,

I made these and I’ve never been a fan of the coconut flour taste and it was soo strong that I couldn’t stand it. Can I substitute all tapioca flour for the coconut flour? Or do you have any other suggestions to avoid coconut flour?

Thank you!!

• August 14, 2014 at 9:16 pm

You could try almond flour but you would need to reduce the liquid a touch. I’ve never made it with this flour so you would be flying solo.

• September 23, 2014 at 12:25 am

Great recipe! Thank you. I dipped the warm pretzels in more melted butter when eating them!

• September 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

Yum! Just how I like to eat them to Lauren!

• Tamara
    October 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Hi Kelly!

Realizing now (AFTER watching your video tutorial, ugh) that I didn’t add enough arrowroot (subbed for tapioca) to make more of a paste and the result is crumbly dough. I don’t want to see it go to waste (has been sitting in the fridge for 2 days) – can you give me any suggestion to make this more “gluey” by adding more arrowroot? Can I just add the powder, or should I make a paste then knead into the dough? Thanks!!

• October 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Yes, I would let the mixture warm up on the counter and then add in more flour. Good luck hun!

• Kelly Fontaine
    October 6, 2014 at 8:14 am

Used Olive Oil but when I mixed in the tapioca flour we had liquid left over 1/4 cup that would not absorb, just poured it off and continued on and it all seemed to work out fine, but was wondering why it would not all absorb, any ideas
    Thanks
    Kelly

• October 9, 2014 at 7:35 am

Hrmm. .. I’m glad it worked out hun. Tapioca is not a standard flour so it may have been the brand you used.

• Shikha
        November 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Thank you so much for these recipes! Each one of them worked out great! THANK YOU!!

• Konstanze
    November 15, 2014 at 4:18 am

Hello from Germany! Baked these prezels yesterday! So delicous! Thank you!

• Konstanze
      November 15, 2014 at 4:19 am

Sorry, my rate: 10 points 🙂

• Jessica
    December 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm

These came out so great I had to comment! The recipe was very forgiving. I was cooking with my three year old who dumped in some extra arrowroot (we subbed for tapioca which I’m sensitive too). I just decreased the coconut flour to compensate. Very happy with the results and thanks for a fantastic recipe! I’m 7 weeks pregnant and have been having the hardest time cooking and eating (which I usually love), so having a random soft pretzel craving and coming across this recipe was such a blessing. Also, I was a little concerned that coconut flour wouldn’t taste good in pretzel form, but so glad I was wrong! We made a cheese sauce to go with that turned out so well too. Thanks again for a fantastic recipe!

• December 18, 2014 at 11:59 am

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed it Jessica!

• Angela
    December 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hi Kelly! Thanks for this recipe! These tasted so good dipped in a little mustard. My husband and I ate the whole batch! My dough was a little crumbly in that it was fine until the roll got too long so I couldn’t roll it long enough to twist into a pretzel shape so I just rolled them into bite sized balls and called them pretzel bites. Lol! I still baked them for 30 min and they were golden brown and delicious! Thanks again. :0)
    Warmly, Angela

• December 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Yum! I’m so glad you enjoyed it Angela!

• Linnea
    January 25, 2015 at 2:08 pm

First, these are amazing I wrapped them around mini Hebrew National dogs and my kids had pretzel dogs for lunch they were sooo good. I was wondering have you or anyone else subbed almond flour for the coconut flour? I like them the way they are, but my husband doesn’t enjoy coconut flour. Thanks.

• January 26, 2015 at 10:45 am

I have never made these with almond flour and I would need to do some testing. I’m so glad you enjoyed them Linnea!

• Dee
    February 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I followed the directions exactly but my dough did not hold together enough to roll into a rope, so I ended up making pretzel sticks. They were tasty but because of all the coconut flour they tasted nothing like pretzels, more like dense coconut bread. Still great.

• Stephanie
    February 24, 2015 at 1:43 pm

These were really good, and I was very thankful for the video tutorial!

One thing I would add to this to make it taste more like a pretzel is to brush the formed dough with sodium bicarbonate water. (water with some baking soda mixed in) After it comes out of the oven, you can dip it in melted grass-fed butter, which gives it that mall-soft-pretzel flavor. Leftover dough refrigerates well too, so that you can bake fresh what you need.

For anyone having trouble with the recipe, it’s really beneficial to watch the video. DON’T use a whisk to make the tapioca mix “better.” (That was my mistake with my first batch.)

• February 26, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I’m glad it worked out for you hun!

• Julia
    March 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Salted or unsalted butter? Or does it not matter? So excited to try these! Thank you! Your video convinced me I could do it!

• March 6, 2015 at 8:38 am

Good luck Julia! I’ve used both types with no issues.

• Jacq
    March 21, 2015 at 10:45 am

Hi Kelly, can I use olive oil for the glaze instead of butter, my digestive system doesn’t like butter or anything dairy.

• Austin
    March 27, 2015 at 10:34 am

For anyone having trouble… My pretzels (and an attempt at a roll) are baking right now, so I can’t verify anything with regards to flavor yet. However, with regards to the process of getting a dough you can handle:

Kelly mentions in her video that altitude and such may affect your results. I would imagine the humidity and just general weather, too, might have an effect. I’m in New York City. We had a thunderstorm yesterday and it’s relatively humid compared to past days. I also live on the 17th floor of a an apartment building. So: Not sea level, not dry. It would be interesting for me to try in a dry heat or the dead of winter.

Anyway, I used half of the recipe since I was just doing a test run. I was able to get a dough that I could actually handle without having it stick all over my fingers. I followed everyone’s comments and her video as a cautionary tale.

I removed the solution from the heat as soon as all of it was boiled, frothy and bubbling. I waited a bit and then put all the tapioca in. I probably should have waited a smidge longer because after the flour solidified into a sticky substance, there was still a little fluid leftover from the solution, but it turned out fine after some vigorous mixing.

After letting it cool, I followed the rest of her steps. I also put the coconut flour in only a bit at a time, stirred, and tried to coat the entire “blob” with the coconut flour / egg mix. As the coconut flour seemed to stop incorporating, I put in a bit more egg. I had this luxury because as I had halved the recipe, I had some egg left over. (I had beaten the eggs prior to beginning anything else.) You may want to start with half your egg and a bit of coconut flour, mix, then dump more flour and the rest of your egg in, then continue mixing.

I ended up with a blob that I could knead into a ball. I was kneading atop a piece of parchment paper that already had some tapioca flour spread on it. Also note that, like in Kelly’s video, I had leftover coconut flour that hadn’t yet incorporated into the dough. I only sprinkled a little more on the dough blob and then discarded the rest. I would say, don’t try to force all the coconut flour into the dough–especially since some don’t like the sweetness. (I do like it, myself.)

I should note that I did let the pretzels and bun lie in a solution of baking soda and water (1 cup water, boiled and removed from heat; mix in 2 tablespoons of baking soda until dissolved; let it cool to just lukewarm) to get a browning effect.

So I have three pretzels and one bun baking, and a pizza crust that I was able to roll / press out lying in wait (I only have a toaster oven so I have to bake in small batches). We’ll see how the pizza crust works out, but the others look to be browning, rising, and expanding nicely.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks Kelly for the recipe. I’ll report back with texture and taste.

• Austin
      March 27, 2015 at 10:48 am

Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Doesn’t taste like a “real” pretzel, but I never needed it to; it tastes like a baked good, the texture is right, and the flavor is still good. Fantastic recipe.

• Austin
      March 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

Last comment. I’ve verified that, rolled out, this works fantastically as a pizza crust.

It also works well for a small bun / roll. Just make sure to bake it for longer than the advertised 25-30. When I opened it up it was still a little damp so I threw it back in for a few more minutes. Held my egg sandwich very well and I’m sure it would to nicely for a burger.

• March 27, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Thank you Austin for taking the to leave such amazing feedback and help. I hope you enjoyed them hun!

• Michelle P
    July 25, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I made these today and they turned out perfect! I watched the video and followed the recipe exactly, using ghee. After tasting the dough, I realized they are a bit sweeter than a normal soft pretzel, so I sprinkled some with cinnamon and raw sugar (could use coconut palm sugar I’m sure!) after brushing with the ghee and those were definitely my favorite! I think I’d mix cinnamon into the dough next time! So tasty! They definitely aren’t the same texture or taste as a soft pretzel, but I think they are a really great substitute for those who can’t, (or choose not to), eat the real thing! And with a nice dipping sauce they’d be extra yummy! Thank you!

• August 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I love what you did there Michelle! I will have to try that the next time I make these.

• Sam
    September 29, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Do u think I could sub have the butter for applesauce bc I have seen it used as an oil replacement in other recipes

• October 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Hrmm. .. you could try. I’m honestly not sure it would work hun.

• Michelle
    October 18, 2015 at 7:03 am

The dough turned out perfect the first time, but I have some experience using tapioca and coconut flours as we have been paleo/gluten free since December 2014. I am currently making ham buns with the recipe. Thanks!!

• October 26, 2015 at 9:08 am

Yeah! So glad it worked for you Michelle!

• Laura
    November 6, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Think I could make the dough a day ahead, refrigerate overnight, and bake the next day? My daughter’s preschool class is having a “make our own pretzels” day, and I want to have something she can take.

• November 20, 2015 at 10:56 am

Yes, that should not be an issue hun. You will have to let the dough warm up.

• Amya
    April 8, 2016 at 5:02 pm

People who aren’t getting a good dough don’t have the butter/water mixture hot enough? That was my problem the first time! Thanks! They are yummy!

• Taylor Johnson
    January 5, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Loved these, and my friends that don’t eat paleo loved them too! Had fun making them with our kids!

• gina
    January 19, 2017 at 1:44 pm

i had high hopes for this. unfortunately it was a major bomb. I tried everything to save the materials as I work with these ingredients a lot. But the recipe is flawed and the taste was not good. sorry I wanted to like them.

• January 20, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Sorry it didn’t work for you hun!

• Shirlgirl
    February 8, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for the recipe! We used ghee and didn’t even bother trying to make it into dough…just put the dough hook on the Ninja Food Processor, put in the ingredients after blending all of them up except the coconut and egg addition, added those two ingredients and “pulsed” until the dough was perfect! Brushed them with more melted ghee and coarse salt. We made them larger than your suggestion (about double in size), so we covered them with tinfoil at about 25 minutes and then baked them for an extra 15 min. They turned out great! We give it a 4 star because, unless you turn them into cinnamon pretzels topped with coconut sugar or something, you do taste the sweetness of the coconut flour…which doesn’t really matter to us, but can understand where this might not be desirable for others.

• Ken
    March 25, 2017 at 2:00 pm

The dough seemed very dry and hard to roll out without breaking. I added a bit more water to the dough. It seemed to help, but was still brittle while rolling out.

Any suggestions?

• Vicky
    March 25, 2017 at 3:32 pm

If I were to substitute with a different starch what do you recommend? Tapioca messes up my stomach

• Majesty
    May 3, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I just have to say, these were a BLAST to make! Science experiment to play-doh, with deliciousness as a result! I watched the video first, which was a great help, and made your pretzel dogs. I didn’t taste the coconut..I think because of all the butter..ha. Thank you for your efforts!

• Alicia
    May 14, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Hi. Do you have the nutritional info?

• Amanda
    May 25, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Thank you for the recipe- I just made these with substituting the butter for coconut oil. I will attempt butter next time as these turned out too sweet. Combined with the non gluten flour manifestation, its best to omit one taste memory at a time;) Bravo on your combination- in the end, these are great with a good mustard!

• Devinn P.
    June 16, 2017 at 10:49 am

With the coconut flour do these pretzel taste like coconut bread?

• vee
    September 25, 2017 at 6:52 am

Hi
    I found this recipe and I tried it! Failed. Dough was dry ad crumby what could have gone wrong?

• October 29, 2017 at 10:59 am

I’ve found it works better to mix the ingredients when the flour mixture is warm, almost hot.

• Robyn
    October 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I tried these, and the dough kept crumbling as I tried to roll it. When I finally thought I had the right consistency, and tried to twist it into shape, it started crumbling again and I was basically just trying to piece it together. I watched the video before trying, but mine definitely did not turn out like yours. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong?

• October 29, 2017 at 11:02 am

I’ve found it’s best to mix all the ingredients together with the dough is warm, almost hot. It just mixes easier. Also, what brand flour did you use?

• Shelly
    October 13, 2017 at 8:11 am

Super easy recipe! Loved it. Only question–mine started getting brown (I left them in a few minutes longer; 33 minutes). I took them out, but they were still a little doughy in the center. Is that normal? I made my dough logs thin, about a 1/2 inch diameter. I just didn’t want to leave them in much longer and have them burn. Thanks!

• October 18, 2017 at 4:30 pm

You can try covering them with foil so they can cook longer without browning hun.

• T
    October 26, 2017 at 1:37 pm

OMG!!! These. Are. Ah. Mazing!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe. I haven’t tried a recipe of your yours I didn’t love. Thank you!

Have you used this dough for other things? I think pizza would be amazing.

• Erin
    November 3, 2017 at 1:51 pm

How far in advance can I make the dough? Can I make it now and use in several hours when I am ready to use it? Also, can I freeze leftover dough to be used later?

• November 4, 2017 at 8:09 pm

It’s better to parbake the dough, then put it in the fridge or freezer hun.