I had tea with Vyana from Wild Roots Bakery when she was in town and somehow we got onto the topic of butter. I love butter with a passion so I’m not kidding when I say we go through 10 – 15 lbs of it a month. She’s allergic to dairy and was sharing how she was dreaming up a vegan butter recipe with a friend. She spoke of avocado oil and olive oil and it just got my cooking gears spinning. What does butter taste like?
Lightly sweet creamy deliciousness is the only way I can describe it. It doesn’t taste like avocados to me so this oil is not in this creation. I got really really close to the taste and texture (come on nothing is the same as real grass-fed butter) so if you can’t enjoy the dairy version this will help you get your fix.
It stays solid in the fridge and softens when left out so you can easily spread it. You will want to store this in the fridge.
- 1 cup palm shortening, liquid measurement
- 1/4 cup expeller pressed coconut oil, liquid measurement
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter, liquid measurement
- Place a large glass measuring cup in a warm water bath.
- Melt and measure the oils and place in the glass measuring cup.
- Whisk to combine and pour into a non stick container.
- Chill until solid. Enjoy!
© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.