Copy Cat Gluten-free Instant Pot Hormel Chili

gluten free instant pot hormel chili copycat

Growing up we ate Hormel Chili.   My father would make this for us and I can see him know, with a can opener turning that red can around in a circle and then dumping the contents  into a pan on the stove.    He would later top his bowl with 20 saltine crackers and devour it.

Hormel chili was my first taste of chili so my taste buds have kinda been primed to believe that true chili tastes like Hormel.

Anyhow, now that I follow a Gluten-free diet, I had to recreate this recipe and I wanted to make it with my Instant Pot.  This recipe took me 2 years to figure out.

I know. It seems kinda crazy it took that long but it did.

Having said that I can say with heart that this is the only chili recipe I will make for the rest of my long days! It’s that good.

gluten free instant pot hormel chili copycat

gluten free instant pot hormel chili copycat

Copycat Instant Pot Hormel Chili

1. In your Instant Pot hit the SAUTE button and add the bacon fat, garlic and onions and cook until translucent, roughly 3 minuets.
  2. Add in the ground beef and brown. Add in all the spices, tomato paste, and the rice flour and stir until well combined. Add in the pinto beans.

3. Add in the water and turn off the Instant Pot. Seal with the lid and press the MANUAL Button and add time until you have 20 minutes. When the time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then open the quick release valve.

© 2011-2017, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Renee August 7, 2017 at 4:13 pm

This is so mouthwatering! That bacon fat for the cooking fat is just everything I bet!!!

2. Irena August 8, 2017 at 3:15 am

This is definitely going in my Instant Pot! I actually have some beef in the fridge right now and was wondering what to cook. This will be a lovely dinner tonight!

3. Jean August 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Looks so delicious! I love recreating recipes to make them healthier and this looks so hearty and comforting.

4. Kari Peters August 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

I absolutely love that you added some bacon fat into this chili, what an awesome flavor booster!

5. Allison Wojtowecz August 8, 2017 at 3:59 pm

It was so genius of you to copy such a staple in so many homes! Looks perfect for a cold night.

6. Tina August 8, 2017 at 4:20 pm

DROOOOOOOOOLING! Would love to make this. I better get me an instant pot… instantly!

7. Emily @ Recipes to Nourish August 9, 2017 at 10:27 pm

With the saltine crackers on top of it! Gotta love that, we always had saltines around for soups and chili too. Love that you make this in the IP and that it’s so close in flavor to your childhood memory of chili.

8. Real Food with Dana August 11, 2017 at 5:32 pm

This is so great! I’m going to be getting an InstantPot soon (I know, I’m really behind, ha!) so I’ll definitely be putting this on my list of ones to make!

9. STACEY CRAWFORD August 12, 2017 at 10:12 am

I remember my parents making the canned chili too! This homemade kind is so much better, and does not have the can aftertaste!

10. Cristina Curp August 12, 2017 at 9:17 pm

DAYYUUMMM that looks soooo tasty!!!! MMMmmMMM! Makes me wish I could eat tomatoes <3

11. ChihYu August 13, 2017 at 4:42 pm

These look so delicious ! I love that it’s instant pot friendly too !

12. Katja August 13, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Mmmmm! Fall time is coming, and I’m looking forward to cozy warm meals. Saving this for later.

13. Darryl August 14, 2017 at 3:19 pm

This looks great! Do you have any substitutes for the pinto beans and rice flour? I’d love to give this a try!!

14. Cristina J March 14, 2018 at 9:21 am

I am in the process of making this now. I noticed it doesn’t say when to add the tomato paste so I added it after the spices and with the water. Also is it really 1 whole tablespoon of salt? Or do you mean teaspoon? Hoping it comes out. Smells amazing!!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 16, 2018 at 8:34 am

Sorry hun! I just updated it and you can mix with when you add the ground beef.

15. Lee September 9, 2018 at 3:32 pm

does this really taste like hormel chili? I need to know this information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because yes hormel chili is how chili should be tasting. It is known.

16. Mindy Gigantelli October 11, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Hi! Can i make this without an Instapot? My husband ONLY eats hormell so i would love to make this.

1. Kelly Bejelly October 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm

You can cook it on the stove top it will just take longer to cook the beans hun.

17. Clifford January 28, 2019 at 2:08 am

I grew up on the old Hormel Chile with bean recipe. I could not eat it again after they removed the fat. Does this recipe taste like the original? What brand of Chili Powder? You know that is vital information. Thanks

1. Kelly Bejelly February 26, 2019 at 9:13 am

Honestly Clifford, I use one from my natural store that doesn’t contain any fillers. It’s just pure chili powder. I hope that helps.