This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on April 26, 2020
This goes out to all those coffee fanatics out there or for anyone who would love to infuse some caffeine kick in their meal. Why only morning? The elixir that is coffee should be in everything and in fact, in all courses from entrée to dessert.
Coffee, when used as an ingredient in cooking, adds a rich and complex flavour to dishes. It is delicious when mixed with chocolate or baked as a cake, goes great with alcohol too but there’s more to it. Here are some sweet and savoury coffee-based recipes that you will surely love for their extra depth:
Start the day
- Banana Coffee Smoothie: There’s no alternate to the morning cuppa but here’s something to carry on the coffee buzz after that. A healthy breakfast on the go with a delicious blend of bananas, milk, honey, hot chocolate, instant coffee and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Oz Coffee Waffle and Gingerbread Pancakes: Waffles and pancakes are prime breakfast offerings and adding some brewed coffee or even coffee powder to the batter takes them to an all-new high. The best part, these two recipes can double up as dessert too!
Lunch it up
- Coffee Rub: An all-purpose rub for your proteins, be it brisket, steak, ribs and even for that jerky. Some good quality coffee grounds mixed with powdered garlic and onion, cumin, paprika, salt, some brown sugar with a bit of cayenne makes a spicy, flavourful rub for grilling and roasting. You can even toss some tuna in the rub for a salad!
- Coffee-marinated Mutton Chops: Let the mutton chops marinate at least six hours in a concoction of espresso, honey, balsamic vinegar, crushed pink peppercorns, olive oil and salt before cooking them in a pre-heated oven. Once done, finish it in a pan with some lamb stock to get a saucy dish.
Snack on caffeine
- Bacon Jam with Coffee: This just takes the sandwich, burger or Panini to a whole new level. Bacon jam is much like chutney, a little bit sweet and a little bit sour and has the perfect date with cheese. Now, just add some strong brewed coffee to the basic recipe and you will surprise yourself with second and third helpings.
- Coffee-Tofu Chipotle Wrap: An unlikely combination but a sure winner in taste. Chilled brewed coffee and chipotle marinade with extra firm tofu make a sizzling filling for a wrap that is simple yet balanced. This recipe is a great lunch bag option.
- Espresso Butter Bars: Sinful and sticky but packed with coffee-love all over. Quick and easy, the recipe just calls for mixing it all up.
- Coffee Roasted Sweet Potato Fries: Season fries with coffee, olive oil, salt and cinnamon. Bake until edges are crisp and fork-tender inside. Cool and serve drizzled with melted chocolate.
Ground coffee is loaded with antioxidants and a healthy meal with some of these magical beans included can lend a buzz to your whole day. So, grab a tin from the best coffee roasters in Sydney and try these recipes!