This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on February 10, 2021
These gluten free mozzarella sticks are so cheesy and crispy, you’ll have a hard time believing they’re actually homemade!
If you’re eating gluten-free, then you know just how hard it can be when someone breaks out the appetizers at a party.
And while there are plenty of natural snack options out there, sometimes it’s nice to enjoy one of the classics.
When I made these the other night, my husband didn’t even know they were gluten free until I told him. They’re really that good. These gluten free mozzarella sticks are crunchy on the outside, melty on the inside, and full of cheesy goodness.
There are a few tricks to making these right though, and if you skip some steps, then you’ll have soggy mozzarella sticks. Or all of the cheese will melt right out of the crunchy shell.
It can be hard to wait 30 minutes while the cheese freezes, but trust me, it’s worth the wait.
And don’t forget about them and leave them in for an hour and a half, that doesn’t work either.
You need them just frozen enough so they don’t melt into a puddle in the oil, but not so frozen they won’t melt.
Some Tips for this Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
I was able to find good gluten free bread crumbs at my local grocery store, but you can also make some if you’re so inclined.
- Cut gluten free bread into cubes and toast in the oven.
- For every cup of bread cubes, add 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- Put the toasted cubes along with the Italian seasoning into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
Looking for more delicious gluten-free appetizers?
These gooey mozzarella sticks are so delicious you won't even believe they're gluten free. Make a batch up for a party, or enjoy some by yourself- they're that good!
- 1/2 cup gluten free, Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 10 mozzarella cheese snack sticks
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsps half and half or whole milk
- 1 cup refined coconut oil
- Cut the mozzarella sticks in half and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place the coconut oil in a skillet or small sauce pan and heat over medium heat until very hot, but not smoking.
- While you're waiting for the oil to heat, place the arrowroot powder into a shallow bowl, the breadcrumbs and salt into another bowl, and the egg and milk into the last bowl.
- Beat the egg and milk mixture together with a whisk.
- Stir the salt into the breadcrumbs.
- Dip a frozen mozzarella stick into the egg mixture, then the arrowroot. Dip it into the egg again and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Carefully place a few cheese sticks into the hot oil, turning with a metal spatula to cook evenly. Fry for 45-60 seconds each. Watch them carefully to make sure your cheese doesn't escape out of the breading.
- Serve warm with marinara dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g