This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on June 26, 2021
All around the world Cinnamon is considered as a spice which is used for medicinal purposes as well as an ingredient to add flavor in different recipes. It is probably the most commonly used baking spice, but can also be used in various medicinal home remedies, and even as an ingredient in a skin care facial mask.
Cinnamon is extracted from the inner bark of a tree known as Cinnamomum. After cutting the stem of the Cinnamomum tree, the inner bark is extracted and the hard wood-like part is separated from it. It is then left in the sun to dry. Once it dries up it curls into rolls which we call cinnamon sticks which chefs ground to convert it into powdered form.
Cinnamon has two main types which are Ceylon cinnamon which is also called true cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon which is very commonly used in every household and is called cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon is grown in southeastern Asia and very commonly used in the United States and Ceylon cinnamon is frequently used in other parts of the world.
Delicious recipes including cinnamon
The strong flavor and smell of cinnamon are as a result of its oily part which has abundant quantities of a compound known as cinnamaldehyde and antioxidants. Both of which have a significant effect on health and metabolism.
Here is a short list of great recipes that include cinnamon as an ingredient.
This savoury and delicious cinnamon chicken recipe from Budget Delicious is bursting with flavour in every bite. It’s a relatively simple recipe to follow, so here are the ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 6 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth
Once you have all the ingredients, follow the link for the full instructions.
Caramel apple cinnamon buns
Caramel and cinnamon are a perfect blend of sweet and tangy, and when you add in the fresh taste of apples, these caramel apple cinnamon buns are a wonderful treat for any occasion.
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- 320ml milk (any milk will work), plus an extra splash
- 50g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- vegetable oil, for proving
For the apple filling:
- 3 medium eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm cubes
- knob of butter
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- For the cinnamon butter
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the icing:
- 150g soft cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- large pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp canned caramel
You can follow the rest of the cooking instructions here.
Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
French toast, bacon and eggs is the perfect breakfast, brunch, or anytime meal really. If you love the idea of a gooey, decadent cinnamon French toast baked into a casserole, try your hand at this recipe.
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 1 small ciabatta loaf (about 12 ounces), thinly sliced
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
That was just a few picked cinnamon recipes we presented, but the sites linked contain dozens if not hundreds more recipes to check out and satisfy your cinnamon craving.
If you know any other amazing cinnamon recipes, let us know in the comments!