This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on August 26, 2022
Are you a vegan or are you looking for animal meat alternatives? If so, the plant-based burger would be great. It can be your simple lunch or quick delicious dinner. Besides being a vegan-friendly option its free of gluten.
What exactly is a plant-based burger
The plant-based burger is “meatless meat”. They are prepared using plant grains, vegetables, and legumes for instance lentils and soy. The meatless burgers assume the taste of real meat. To get that meat taste, several ingredients as well as a food processing method is used.
Are There Any Health Benefits Related To Plant-Based Burger?
Plant-based burgers are not just good in the sense that they are meatless, but they are an excellent source of protein. Also, they are rich in minerals and vitamins.
The plant-based burger protein content is created in such a way that it complements the protein derived from poultry and beef. However, the meatless burgers undergo thorough processing hence contain high levels of saturated fat.
Actually, a plant-based burger is no longer an option for vegetarians only. Sometimes back, some people would take them once in a while for fun. But that’s all in the past. Today organic plant-based burger especially is almost ruling the beef burger world.
What To Look For When Buying Plant-Based Burger
If you want to buy a plant-based burger there are factors you need to pay attention to. Only then can you select the right plant-based burger. Here is what you have to look for;
- Check the ingredients list; the ingredients used to create a plant-based burger are a key factor to put into consideration. Check the number of additives listed.
- Nutrition labels can help you compare the products; by using nutrition labels, you compare the products. Also, check if there are obvious differences in sodium, saturated fats, protein, and dietary fiber.
- Compare the amount of fats and saturated fat; fat is not healthy to the body. By comparing the amount of fat or saturated fat in the plant-based burger, you can decide whether it’s the right amount.
- How does it taste to you; this is a very important factor. Of course, you don’t want to shop for a meatless burger that you won`t enjoy eating. So, go for a tasty one.
- Check fiber amount; high fiber amounts are not good for patients suffering from pancreatic cancer. Also, if you have gastrointestinal issues such as loose stools, bloating and gas, you should not select plant-based burgers with high amounts of fiber.
If you are a cancer patient, there are still plant-based burgers that will work for you. However, ensure your settle for a meatless burger that won`t worsen the situation.
Finally, If you enjoy how the burger taste but don`t want to continue eating animal meat products, the meatless burger is the way to go. The best part about a plant-based burger is that it does not require lots of water. Also, it`s greenhouse gas emissions are less compared to the common beef burgers. That said, they are friendly to the environment.