Paleo Salmon Cakes Recipe (Whole30, Keto)

Made with coconut flour, lemon pepper and dill, this low carb paleo Salmon cakes recipe is hit! Spritz with lemon or top with your favorite tartar sauce and enjoy!

paleo salmon cakes

When I moved to the Pacific Northwest, I had no idea what Salmon was.  It’s just pure kismet that this Paleo Salmon Cakes turned out as delicious as they are considering the recipe is simple as can be.

I was such a stranger to the fish that I couldn’t even pronounce it and called it “Sal Mond” until a kind friend told me what was up.   Of course, it seems like  every time I turn around there are a host of words with pronunciations that make no sense in Oregon.

Take the word “Couch”. Yeah, I know you’re thinking I’m talking about a sofa but in Portland there is a street that bears this name and it’s pronounced “coo uch”.

paleo salmon patties

I am not into fish and Salmon has one of the strongest flavors but I somehow managed to fall in love with my paleo salmon Cakes that uses coconut flour as the binder.

Not only is this recipe delicious – but salmon has some pretty amazing health benefits:

1. It’s rich ins Omega-3 Fatty Acids and considered one of the best sources!
  2. It’s high in B vitamins
  3.  Loaded with Selenium and Potassium
  4. May help reduce the risk of heart disease and keep your waist slim.

What youโ€™ll need for this recipe

Mix in the coconut flour and combine thoroughly.

Next add in the eggs and mix for roughly one minute.

Set your burner to medium high and add your coconut oil to a large skillet.

Shape the mixture in to 5 patties, roughly 2″ wide.

Add the patties to your pan and cook until the sides are golden brown, roughly 5 – 8 minutes on each side. DO NOT flip the salmon cakes until they are golden brown or they will fall apart. You need the side to completely brown so it will hold together.

If you like this Paleo Salmon Cakes recipe, youโ€™ll love:

Ginger Chicken (Whole30, Keto)

Coconut Chicken (Whole30, Keto)

whole30 salmon cakes

Now let’s chat about some common questions from people who make this recipe

Are salmon cakes the same as salmon patties?

Yes, they are.

Can I substitute Tuna for the Salmon?

Yes, this is great substitution.

Can I substitute black pepper for lemon pepper?

Yes, you won’t notice the difference.

I don’t have coconut flour, what flour can I use to replace it?

You can use tapioca flour.  However, this will increase the carbs and calories of the recipe.

Did you make and love this recipe?  Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!

Paleo Salmon Cakes

Paleo Salmon Cakes

Yield: 5
So easy to make, these Paleo Salmon patties are packed with rich dill flavor.

1. In a bowl break the salmon up with a fork and add the diced onion, celery and spices.
  2. Mix in the coconut flour and combine thoroughly.
  3. Next add in the eggs and mix for roughly one minute.
  4. Set your burner to medium high and add your coconut oil to a large skillet.
  5. Shape the mixture in to 5 patties, roughly 2" wide.
  6. Add the patties to your pan and cook until the sides are golden brown, roughly 5 - 8 minutes on each side. DO NOT flip the salmon cakes until they are golden brown or they will fall apart. You need the side to completely brown so it will hold together.
  7. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:
Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 137 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 67mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 12g

1. Full Time Mama April 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I dont think I’ve ever seen canned salmon before (though I am not a fish person so I can’t say I’ve looked really hard for it either). ๐Ÿ˜‰ This looks like something my husband would LOVE though!
    Thanks so much for linking up! =)

2. Patti April 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

**Full Time Mama, Costco is selling it right now, canned wild alaskan salmon! You can also find it at Trader Joes if you live near one.

Thanks for the recipe, I just found your site and this is what’s for dinner tonight!!

1. Bejelly April 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I hope you enjoyed it Patty!

3. Rebeca April 23, 2012 at 10:06 am

I made these last night! We loved them!!
    The only difference: subbed parsley for dill (we had some growing outside so it was handy), AND I cooked on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes – flipping midway through – so I didn’t have to monitor them in the frying pan (used the time to make a salad)…I also think oven cooking takes less oil (just spray the cookie sheet).
    Having again for lunch! Love them!!!

1. Bejelly April 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m so glad you liked them! Parsley sounds like a great substitution too. I’ll have to try that when I whip some up this week.

2. Seanna January 29, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Coconut oil is really good for you. Ingesting a couple tbsp a day will help with hair, skin, digestion, cavities, plaque and cholesterol.
      Don’t think of coconut oil as a bad thing, it’s actually a truly guiltless indulgence.
      They sell Organic Refined Oil sold as superfood at Costco in one gallon buckets.
      I only mention “Refined” , because there is NO Flavor. I love coconut, but not on all my food. This diet would be quite borring if all tastes like coconut. I love this recipe, my family also likes to chop up dried Mango, pineapple or passion fruit (lilikoi), dried works best with very small pieces.

3. Joan June 6, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Omg salmon patties are great

4. Vicky Carlson May 12, 2012 at 8:23 am

Love your recipes. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Bejelly May 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

Thank you Vicki!

5. Lolo June 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I would love to try to make these!

6. Kathleen June 17, 2012 at 6:49 am

I love salmon cakes and have been eating them for as long as I can remember. So yummy!

7. Jenn June 19, 2012 at 8:18 am

We haven’t had these in forever. Gotta try your recipe!

8. Stefani June 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I want to try these!

9. Tammy July 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

My husband loves salmon cakes, but I don’t like the smell of them.

10. Jenn @therebelchick July 13, 2012 at 4:20 am

These look awesome! I am allergic to shellfish so I can never eat crabcakes – this would be an awesome alternative!

11. Jennifer July 14, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’ve never used canned salmon before. Might have to try it though since it makes this recipe easier and quicker

12. Kathleen July 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

We love salmon cakes. In fact, I made them just last week!

13. debra July 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Interesting. I love salmon but have never tried this.

14. Margie July 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Made these tonight, with the 14.5 oz can from Aldi’s. Doubled all other ingredients, and wow! Very pleased. Thanks for the recipe.

1. Kelly Bejelly August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thanks Margie ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Janet August 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I catch and can my own salmon all summer so I have CASES of it! I have ALWAYS made salmon patties, but I used to make them with bread crumbs. I just recently started eating grain, sugar and dairy free and so happy to get some inspiration to recreate my beloved salmon patty recipe! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks

1. Kelly Bejelly August 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You’re welcome Janet!

2. Johanna April 29, 2019 at 4:58 pm

I make these a lot, when I’m doing low carb I use coconut flour. Sometimes I use instant mashed potatoes to bind. I through anything in, mayo, eggs, green onions, cayenne pepper. Can’t really mess them up.

16. Carisa September 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Huge success!! We were out of celery so I added some green onion and tripled it for a hungry family of 6 also added spome cracked pepper! Everyone loved it! Thanks for the great recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you Carisa! I’m so glad that you liked it ๐Ÿ˜›

17. Kelly September 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

These…. were….fabulous! I doubled the recipe and made 10 salmon patties. Our non-paleo teenagers had no idea this was a special recipe until afterwards. They gobbled them up and begged for more. This is definitely a keeper! Thank you so very much. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Kelly Bejelly September 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thank so much Kelly! I’m so happy that you liked it!

18. Melanie October 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

These were excellent! My kids and I could have easily gobbled up another batch. It’s a keeper!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Aw, thank you Melanie!!

19. Linda October 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

Can I substitute with something else other than coconut flour?

1. Kelly Bejelly October 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

Linda, I do not eat grains. You need something to help thicken the recipe, which the coconut flour does. If you eat grains you could do any flour and it should work.

1. Kathy Smith March 20, 2016 at 8:30 am

Perhaps Almond flour would be ok. Just getting on the Paleo bandwagon & this recipe looks awesome!!!! Thank you!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 20, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Hi Kathy! You need something to “glue” the ingredients together. You could use arrowroot or tapioca flour but I would use 2 to 3 tablespoons.

20. kristin December 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

hi! do you think almond flour would work ok instead of coconut? i’m not a fan of coconut flour, although i know it’s super healthy and i wish i was ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Kelly Bejelly December 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm

hmm. . I think it would work fine. You just need something to help absorb the eggs ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Maryann April 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

we make crab cakes so I’m sure I could do salmon cakes.

22. Robin July 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

One six ounce can or one 16 ounce can? Friend just made them and had trouble getting them to stick together

1. Kelly Bejelly July 11, 2014 at 7:41 am

One six ounce can hun. I just changed the recipe to write out the one.

23. Beth July 21, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Made these tonight, just delicious! Increased salt to 1/2 teaspoon, exactly the same otherwise. Delicate, needed two pancakes flippers to flip, worked beautifully. Will definitely make these again! Thank you for sharing.

24. Juanita January 20, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I grew up eating canned salmon or mackerel “patties”. We mushed it up with a sleeve of saltine crackers, egg and seasonings, fried in a skillet and I dipped mine in Heinz 57, A1 or ketchup. Served with creamed peas and fried potato slices
    Been paleo for a year and can’t wait to try this tonight! Some comfort food!

25. Phil April 29, 2015 at 11:05 pm

I tried these tonight! I used a 14 oz. can of salmon and doubled the other ingredients. I liked the texture and how the cakes held together after they were cooked, but there was way too much dill weed for me. I think I’ll try these again at some point with at least half as much dill.

26. Monica L. November 4, 2015 at 4:54 pm

This came out delicious! Made a few adjustments: didn’t have celery on hand or lemon pepper seasoning so added parsley and squeezed half a lemon into the mixture. Came out great. Thanks for the recipe!

27. TIMIL JONES November 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I know this was posted years ago, but glad to find it. Looks like a super easy and affordable recipe!

28. Kate Henderson November 13, 2015 at 8:32 am

can you freeze this?

29. Violette December 2, 2015 at 7:27 pm

I made these following the recipe, but they were so liquidy, I had to triple the flour. Maybe my eggs were too big?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 18, 2016 at 10:10 am

Hrmm. .. perhaps but good job on making adjustments and adding flour.

2. Bobbie May 18, 2016 at 8:59 am

Did you drain the salmon? I had this problem the first time I made them.

1. Kelly Bejelly June 19, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Yes, you drain it Bobbie. I will update the recipe!

30. Carolyne January 17, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I just made these. They were deeelish!!! I didn’t use celery. And added a bit of rosemary. I also made spicy mayo to dip in with some paprika and cayenne pepper. Soon good!!

31. Bobbie May 18, 2016 at 8:54 am

I’ve made this 4 times now and man is it delicious. Even my celery hating husband likes it! It works with both canned and freshly cooked salmon andi like substituting does dill for fresh. This is one of my new favorites!!

1. Kelly Bejelly June 19, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Yes, I really am not a huge fan of salmon myself and I love this recipe! So glad you both enjoy it!

32. Pamela Gregory January 30, 2017 at 12:14 pm

am I the only one, two eggs would have been rediculously runny! I made it with one egg and it formed perfect patties for 6 oz. of salmon, what am I missing?

1. Kelly Bejelly February 7, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Hrmm…. perhaps the brand of coconut flour you are using is affecting this. I’m glad that the one egg works well for you hun!

33. Allita P February 3, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I just wanted to say how much I LOVE these salmon patties! I grew up on these, but my mom made them from scratch. Since going paleo, I’ve tried a couple different recipes and this one is replacing all of them. My first bite tasted like home, so thank you again.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 7, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed them Allita!

34. Catherine February 12, 2017 at 3:31 pm

so yummy thank you!

35. Kaitee Perisich February 23, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I get my canned salmon at Costco too. I live in Alaska, so I know good salmon and the Costco wild Alaska Sockeye is really great. Don’t get any crappy Starkist kind!

36. Vivienne Sun April 6, 2017 at 8:58 am

Fish cakes were always my favorite thing growing up in a Scottish family. I’m so happy to find this delicious recipe. Thank-you!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I ate half of it at once, it was hard to stop. ๐Ÿ™‚

37. Linda Dunhill April 6, 2017 at 1:05 pm

A picture showed, but no recipe. .?????

1. Kelly Bejelly April 10, 2017 at 9:35 am

I’m seeing the recipe Linda so I’m not sure what the issue is hun.

38. Kathy May 30, 2017 at 9:53 am

Can you bake these in the oven????

1. Kelly Bejelly August 27, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I’ve never tried but I don’t see why not. You do have to flip them though.

39. Wendy August 24, 2017 at 7:37 am

I don’t know you but I love you I can relate to how you write and what you’re all about LOL we are trying out your chicken and dumplings recipe it smells very good in here. Also going to make the salmon cakes

40. Mattie January 24, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Love the flavor of the patties! For some reason, they were dry. I used wild caught fresh salmon and cooked it in olive oil. I will make these again and again. Thanks

41. Lauren July 10, 2018 at 5:49 am

Can you bake these in the oven? I’m terrible at keeping the patties together otherwise! If so, what temperature, and how long? Can’t wait to try these!! Thank you!

42. allison September 19, 2018 at 11:13 am

These are my new favorite EVERYTHING!!! I used leftover salmon, onion (didn’t have celery), Penzey’s Sunny Spain seasoning (best brand, best seasonings), and followed everything else to a “t”. The batter was so horribly wet and messy-I fully expected a disaster. Plus they came out charred n ugly on the outside and nothing like your pictures, but the beauty was the taste inside! Mixed up some drops of compliant hot sauce with mayo to drizzle over the cakes in a lettuce shell. Last bits not necessary as these are totally perfection eaten as is while standing in the kitchen and telling your family and pets to leave you alone.

1. Kelly Bejelly September 19, 2018 at 11:15 am

So glad you enjoyed them and thanks for sharing your story!

43. Gwyn February 13, 2019 at 2:58 am

Hi the flavour is nice but unfortunately I didn’t read enough comments before making these. I read the amount of salmon as a 16 oz can of salmon ( I live in Australia and the measurements are in grams) so I used a large can 455 grams. I added the juice of a fresh lime as per another recipe. They actually held together considering! But lacking some flavour ( of course :). I will make again altho I always use the skin and bones and mash them in…why skinless and boneless? Thank you.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 26, 2019 at 9:11 am

I hope they work out better for you the second time Gwyn!

44. Jackie May 5, 2019 at 9:41 am

Hi! Looking forward to making these for dinner tonight! Is the serving size 3 patties? Thanks in advance.

1. Kelly Bejelly May 5, 2019 at 2:51 pm