May 27, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

Paid Endorsement Disclosure: A Girl Worth Saving is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to AMAZON.COM. This post may contain affiliate links and/or ads from Amazon or other affiliate partners. We only recommend products or services that we have personally tried and love. When you make a purchase through any of these links, we earn a small commission on each sale, which allows us to cover a portion of the cost of this site. This has no effect on your sale price and is simply a cost of doing business for the company you are purchasing from.

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Mr. Bejelly has asked me to make Paleo Pretzel Dogs  for weeks and, well, I put him off and off until he put down his foot down.  The man hid my tablet until I made them.  Mr. Meany that he is, he should be glad that I’m a kind soul, and that I didn’t put too much salt in them to teach him a lesson.

Anyhow, this recipe uses my Paleo Soft Pretzel recipe as the crust and the only thing I would do differently is increase the cook time of the recipe so that the dough is firmer.

My son gobbled them down and begged for more.  These would make the perfect school lunch for your kid and I plan to make these often for the Little when he heads to school.

Paleo Pretzel  Dogs

Paleo Pretzel Dog

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Total Time: 1 hour

• Paleo Soft Pretzel Recipe
  • 5 Applegate Farms Organic Grass Fed Hot Dogs

1. Make the Paleo Soft Pretzel recipe and instead of rolling the dough into pretzel shapes wrap around the hot dog as shown.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes
  3. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• May 27, 2013 at 10:22 am

This sounds so good. I have got to make the soft pretzels for sure and then make a few extra pretzel dogs! 🙂

• May 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I have to laugh that he forced you into it! I’ll bet the pretzel dough tastes fabulous with these.

• May 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

These look so good. Perfect for mom and kids!

• May 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh I love me some Pretzel Dogs and so kid friendly!

• May 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

Kelly, these look awesome! I love the idea of a pretzel around the hot dog, super cool!

• May 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

Yum Yum and they don’t need any ketchup this way.

• May 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I used the Applegate hot dogs. Seriously the best hot dog in my book with no filler and such.

• May 28, 2013 at 11:58 am

A winner for our family!

• May 28, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I used to always buy vegetarian pretzel dogs and then they stopped making them. Sad! Maybe I should follow your lead and try making them myself!

• May 29, 2013 at 7:06 am

They look so good!

• May 29, 2013 at 9:25 am

they look great Kelly. I think they would be perfect for a cookout/picnic.

• May 30, 2013 at 7:39 am

WOW. You are a genius! These look so amazing well done.

• May 31, 2013 at 3:13 am

These look so good!!!

• May 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Have I told you lately that I love you?!

• June 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love Pretzel Dogs!

• June 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I am going to have to try that pretzel dough!

• June 8, 2013 at 11:21 pm

These look amazing.

• June 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm

My kids would love these!

• MELicious
      August 28, 2013 at 10:27 am

These are AWESOME! Thank you! I’m posting the recipe link on my FB page MELicious today. 🙂

• August 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You did a great job on them and I love your photos. Thanks for sharing them 🙂

• February 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I made these today for my 12 year old and his best bud as an after school treat. They both snarfed them up and then asked for more! This recipe is a HIT in my book. I was glad to have watched your video first though, made everything go really smoothly. THANKS!

• September 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

These look delicous. My kids would love these. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• kristy
    January 29, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Do you think i could make the dough the day before wrap some hotdogs and refridgerate or freeze until its time to cook?

• January 29, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I would let the dough come to room temp if you do this. Honestly, I’ve never done this! Please share how it work out!

• CHRISSY
    February 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This were not at all what we were expecting, and really were not very good. They were very very very dry, and pretty tasteless. My kids wouldn’t touch them, and I’m sad to have wasted so many expensive ingredients. 🙁

• Manda
    March 6, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m so glad to find this recipe! As I was scrounging around in my freezer today I found a package of Applegate hot dogs and thought “What am I going to do with these???” The kids won’t eat them plain and I’ve yet to find a good Paleo hot dog bun recipe. I’ll be trying these this weekend! 😀

• Nicole
    May 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Can you substitute almond flour for the tapioca flour?

• May 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

You really need tapioca flour as it acts as the protein and “glue” in this recipe hun.

• Tamara
    September 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

My dough is so crumbly 🙁 I added an extra egg AND some water. I don’t have a processor, it just broke and I haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement. I don’t want to waste this dough. It’s wrapped in the parchment in the fridge. Help!??!

• September 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

What did the dough look like after you put it in the fridge? Did it firm up?

• Anna
    September 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

Such a long time baking – the hotdogs look a bit dry. Did they taste a bit dry?

• September 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

Mine weren’t dry. Perhaps your oven runs hot and you need to reduce the cook time?

• Steve
    October 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

These are so good, I’ve made them twice now. Once with Applegate dogs and once with another brand, name slips my mind. When I made them with the off brand, the dogs dried up. They were edible but just dry. The second time I made them, with the applegate brand I also decreased the cooking time down to 25 minutes. They came out so much more juicy then the first time. I’m not sure if it was because of the brand or if it was the reduced cooking time.

Either way the pretzels themselves were delicious. The second time around I also sprinkled some onion powder garlic powder and oregano as well.

• October 27, 2014 at 11:30 am

Yum! Interesting. I never would have through the brand would affect the outcome of the pretzel.

• Olivia
    December 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

I am finally getting more adventurous with my Paleo and AIP menus. Can I substitute the egg for a gelatin egg?
    Thanks. and LOVING your site!

• Kerry
    January 6, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I followed the directions carefully, and mine did not form a dough. It was crumbly and wouldn’t hold 🙁 disappointed!

• January 6, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Sorry Kerry. Tapioca is a tricky flour. Did you try adding another egg?

• CJ
    August 20, 2015 at 4:52 pm

First off- your recipes, honesty, family reviews and trial and error admissions have been fun and super successful for me to recreate and enjoy! Having said that- the wrapped pretzel dog dough was an epic fail for me- first time with your recipes. I am hoping you have a suggestion or notice something I missed- i used half ghee/half olive oil and it turned to gelatinous glue when I added it to the tapioca flour- then I added the coconut flour and it had a chalky, dry outer coating but still glue-ish in consistency. They tasted ok- but too dry on the exterior and crumbly. What did I do wrong- could I just use your pizza recipe? My boyfriend was excited to have hotdogs in a bun but this alternative didn’t fulfill his craving. Thank you again for all of the information and great dishes- it has been fun surprising my family and myself sometimes : )

• Gina
    October 26, 2015 at 6:48 pm

These turned out awesome! The dough worked really well for me. I’m glad I watched the tutorial video, I think that helped me to get it right. The bread around the hotdogs got nice and golden brown and was chewy like a soft pretzel. I will definitely make these again.

• November 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

Yeah! So glad it worked for you Gina!

• Melissa
    December 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Hi,
    The paleo pretzel recipe is not working. Can you upload again or send to my email above.

thanks

Melissa

• Tami
    June 10, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I made these today, and they’re amazing! My kids (and me!) loved them. I used Applegate Organic Stadium hot dogs & they turned out perfect.

• Emily
    August 1, 2016 at 5:44 pm

We had made the Paleo Soft Pretzels before (maybe a couple years ago?) and I remember the dough working out okay, but this time it was awesome. It was really easy to work with. We made mini pretzel dogs (using Beelers Lil’ Bites) and my kids LOVED rolling the dough and putting them around the sausages. They did spirals, covered some completely with dough, and also used the dough to mold a “hot dog bun” on just one side. So easy and fun!

• Chelsey
    October 10, 2017 at 7:48 am

Can you make ahead and freeze? Do you fully cook or freeze uncooked?

• October 29, 2017 at 11:01 am

I would cook them for half the baking time to let them set. Then cool and freeze. Then cook for the rest of the time.