Paleo Pretzel Dogs

These homemade paleo pretzel dogs are a must for every kiddo! The perfect paleo hot dog bun substitute that makes the perfect quick snack or on the go meal.

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Mr. Bejelly has asked me to make Paleo Pretzel Dogs  for weeks and, well, I put him off and off until he put down his foot down.

The man hid my tablet until I made them.  Mr. Meany that he is, he should be glad that I’m a kind soul, and that I didn’t put too much salt in them to teach him a lesson.

Anyhow, this recipe uses my Paleo Soft Pretzel recipe as the crust and the only thing I would do differently is increase the cook time of the recipe so that the dough is firmer.

My son gobbled them down and begged for more.  These would make the perfect school lunch for your kid and I plan to make these often for the Little when he heads to school.

Paleo Pretzel  Dogs

What you’ll need for this recipe

• Water
  • Coconut oil
  • Sea salt
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Tapioca flour
  • Baking soda
  • Baking powder
  • Coconut flour
  • Egg
  • Hot Dogs

How to make Paleo Pretzel Dogs

In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, butter, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.

Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.

Add in the tapioca flour and stir for 2 minutes until you get a wet paste.

Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams – roughly 3 seconds.

Next add in the coconut flour[  and egg and mix well until you get a dough.

Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you are having issues getting it to combine, you can try putting it into a food processor or Blendtec to get it to form a dough.

Pinch of a 1″ – 2″ piece of dough and roll into a 1/2″ round by 6″ – 7″ log.

Wrap around the hot dogs as shown in the photo and bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes

If you like this Paleo Pretzel Dog recipe, you’ll love:

Paleo Garlic Bread

Paleo Pizza Crust

Paleo Wraps

Did you make and love this recipe?  Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Paleo Pretzel Dogs

Yield: 5
Total Time: 1 hour
Gluten-free Pretzel Hot Dogs that are nut-free and dairy-free!

1. Make the Paleo Soft Pretzel recipe and instead of rolling the dough into pretzel shapes wrap around the hot dog as shown.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes
  3. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Donna May 27, 2013 at 10:22 am

This sounds so good. I have got to make the soft pretzels for sure and then make a few extra pretzel dogs! 🙂

2. LyndaS May 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm

They look good.

3. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell May 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I have to laugh that he forced you into it! I’ll bet the pretzel dough tastes fabulous with these.

4. Mellisa May 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

These look so good. Perfect for mom and kids!

5. Tammy May 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh I love me some Pretzel Dogs and so kid friendly!

6. Penelope (NYC Blogger) May 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

Kelly, these look awesome! I love the idea of a pretzel around the hot dog, super cool!

7. Colleen May 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

Yum Yum and they don’t need any ketchup this way.

1. Kelly Bejelly May 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I used the Applegate hot dogs. Seriously the best hot dog in my book with no filler and such.

8. Jenn May 28, 2013 at 11:58 am

A winner for our family!

9. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies May 28, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I used to always buy vegetarian pretzel dogs and then they stopped making them. Sad! Maybe I should follow your lead and try making them myself!

10. Sheri May 29, 2013 at 7:06 am

They look so good!

11. Maryann May 29, 2013 at 9:25 am

they look great Kelly. I think they would be perfect for a cookout/picnic.

12. Dara May 30, 2013 at 7:39 am

WOW. You are a genius! These look so amazing well done.

13. Toni May 31, 2013 at 3:13 am

These look so good!!!

14. Marcie W. May 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Have I told you lately that I love you?!

15. Leilani June 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love Pretzel Dogs!

16. Lolo June 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I am going to have to try that pretzel dough!

17. Theresa June 8, 2013 at 11:21 pm

These look amazing.

18. Lisa June 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm

My kids would love these!

19. Rosie September 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

These look delicous. My kids would love these. Thanks for sharing 🙂

20. kristy January 29, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Do you think i could make the dough the day before wrap some hotdogs and refridgerate or freeze until its time to cook?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 29, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I would let the dough come to room temp if you do this. Honestly, I’ve never done this! Please share how it work out!

21. CHRISSY February 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This were not at all what we were expecting, and really were not very good. They were very very very dry, and pretty tasteless. My kids wouldn’t touch them, and I’m sad to have wasted so many expensive ingredients. 🙁

22. Manda March 6, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m so glad to find this recipe! As I was scrounging around in my freezer today I found a package of Applegate hot dogs and thought “What am I going to do with these???” The kids won’t eat them plain and I’ve yet to find a good Paleo hot dog bun recipe. I’ll be trying these this weekend! 😀

23. Nicole May 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Can you substitute almond flour for the tapioca flour?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

You really need tapioca flour as it acts as the protein and “glue” in this recipe hun.

24. Tamara September 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

My dough is so crumbly 🙁 I added an extra egg AND some water. I don’t have a processor, it just broke and I haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement. I don’t want to waste this dough. It’s wrapped in the parchment in the fridge. Help!??!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

What did the dough look like after you put it in the fridge? Did it firm up?

25. Anna September 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

Such a long time baking – the hotdogs look a bit dry. Did they taste a bit dry?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

Mine weren’t dry. Perhaps your oven runs hot and you need to reduce the cook time?

26. Steve October 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

These are so good, I’ve made them twice now. Once with Applegate dogs and once with another brand, name slips my mind. When I made them with the off brand, the dogs dried up. They were edible but just dry. The second time I made them, with the applegate brand I also decreased the cooking time down to 25 minutes. They came out so much more juicy then the first time. I’m not sure if it was because of the brand or if it was the reduced cooking time.

Either way the pretzels themselves were delicious. The second time around I also sprinkled some onion powder garlic powder and oregano as well.

1. Kelly Bejelly October 27, 2014 at 11:30 am

Yum! Interesting. I never would have through the brand would affect the outcome of the pretzel.

27. Olivia December 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

I am finally getting more adventurous with my Paleo and AIP menus. Can I substitute the egg for a gelatin egg?
    Thanks. and LOVING your site!

28. Kerry January 6, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I followed the directions carefully, and mine did not form a dough. It was crumbly and wouldn’t hold 🙁 disappointed!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 6, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Sorry Kerry. Tapioca is a tricky flour. Did you try adding another egg?

29. CJ August 20, 2015 at 4:52 pm

First off- your recipes, honesty, family reviews and trial and error admissions have been fun and super successful for me to recreate and enjoy! Having said that- the wrapped pretzel dog dough was an epic fail for me- first time with your recipes. I am hoping you have a suggestion or notice something I missed- i used half ghee/half olive oil and it turned to gelatinous glue when I added it to the tapioca flour- then I added the coconut flour and it had a chalky, dry outer coating but still glue-ish in consistency. They tasted ok- but too dry on the exterior and crumbly. What did I do wrong- could I just use your pizza recipe? My boyfriend was excited to have hotdogs in a bun but this alternative didn’t fulfill his craving. Thank you again for all of the information and great dishes- it has been fun surprising my family and myself sometimes : )

30. Gina October 26, 2015 at 6:48 pm

These turned out awesome! The dough worked really well for me. I’m glad I watched the tutorial video, I think that helped me to get it right. The bread around the hotdogs got nice and golden brown and was chewy like a soft pretzel. I will definitely make these again.

1. Kelly Bejelly November 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

Yeah! So glad it worked for you Gina!

31. Melissa December 6, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Hi,
    The paleo pretzel recipe is not working. Can you upload again or send to my email above.

thanks

Melissa

32. Tami June 10, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I made these today, and they’re amazing! My kids (and me!) loved them. I used Applegate Organic Stadium hot dogs & they turned out perfect.

33. Emily August 1, 2016 at 5:44 pm

We had made the Paleo Soft Pretzels before (maybe a couple years ago?) and I remember the dough working out okay, but this time it was awesome. It was really easy to work with. We made mini pretzel dogs (using Beelers Lil’ Bites) and my kids LOVED rolling the dough and putting them around the sausages. They did spirals, covered some completely with dough, and also used the dough to mold a “hot dog bun” on just one side. So easy and fun!

34. Chelsey October 10, 2017 at 7:48 am

Can you make ahead and freeze? Do you fully cook or freeze uncooked?

1. Kelly Bejelly October 29, 2017 at 11:01 am

I would cook them for half the baking time to let them set. Then cool and freeze. Then cook for the rest of the time.

35. Cathy March 12, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I only cook for one. I am wondering how long the dough will keep in the refrigerator. Another option: do think cooking the dough in long lengths and wrapping the cooked dough around a hot dog when I am ready to cook one would work?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 16, 2018 at 8:35 am

I would make ahead the pretzels and only parbake them. When you are ready to eat them you can cook them fully hun.