This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on September 26, 2022
Make taco night a breeze with this tender and flavorful Slow Cooker Taco Meat recipe. Dump ground beef and simple spices in your slow cooker and dinner is done! This will become your families favorite taco!
Did you know you can use your slow cooker to make taco meat? No, really! It’s surprisingly easy and only takes a few ingredients.
This recipe starts with lean ground beef. Then it goes into your slow cooker until the meat is so tender that it shreds apart easily.
You’ll have taco meat in no time!
Save time and save money making crock pot taco meat!
Making taco meat in a slow cooker is a great way to make a large batch that can be used for multiple meals. This recipe shares a recipe for homemade taco seasoning, so no need to grab any pre-made packets from the store.
How to make taco seasoning mix
Taco seasoning is probably the most essential part of any taco recipe. If you don’t have it, you’re basically just mumbling through your taco-making experience. We don’t know what kind of tacos you’re making, but we can pretty much guarantee you aren’t making the best tacos.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Ground Beef Mixture
- 2 lbs. lean fresh or frozen ground beef or ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
How to make Slow Cooker Taco Meat in a Crock Pot
In a small bowl combine all the spices to make the homemade taco seasoning.
Add the beef, tomato paste, and spices to the slow cooker. Use a spoon to mix up the ingredients and break up the ground beef.
Cook on low for 4 hours.
Break up the ground beef some more.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the ground beef from the slow cooker/crockpot and serve.
You can reserve two teaspoons of the taco seasoning and add it in the last 30 minutes of cooking. This extra step isn’t necessary, but it will heighten the flavor of the meat!
Taco Shells, Taco Sauce, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Sour Cream, and what ever your favorite toppings are.
Optional add-ins for Slow Cooker Taco Meat
Onions – Onions are a great source of copper, which is great for your immune system. They are also great for preventing heart disease, arthritis, and even cancer. They also contain vitamins, manganese, and potassium, which keep your body healthy.
Tomatoes – Tomatoes are full of lycopene, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. It also helps with heart health and lowering cholesterol.
Corn – Corn is an excellent source of fiber that helps with digestion and keeps your cravings at bay. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin C, which helps to keep your immune system strong.
Black Beans – Black beans are full of folate, an important nutrient that helps prevent heart disease and colon cancer.
Green Peppers – Green peppers are full of vitamins A, C, and K. They are also full of lycopene, which helps to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
Red Peppers – Red peppers are full of vitamin C, which helps to keep your immune system strong.
Jalapeño Peppers – Jalapeños are a great source of vitamins A, C, and E. They are also full of lycopene, which helps to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, and even Alzheimer’s disease.
Cabbage – Cabbage is full of fiber and vitamins, which help to keep your digestive system healthy and your cravings at bay.
Taco meat recipes FAQs
How long does ground beef take to cook in the slow cooker?
This recipe takes 4 hours to cook in a slow cooker at low temperatures.
How long do you let taco meat simmer for?
Let this simmer on low in your crockpot for 2 hours before moving it to a container. Remember to let it cool before adding it to your refrigerator.
Do you put taco seasoning in before or after draining meat?
You want to add the taco seasoning before you drain the meat.
Can you put raw ground beef in a slow cooker?
Yes, it is safe to put raw ground beef in a slow cooker
Do you have to brown ground beef before you put it in a slow cooker?
No, you don’t. However, when you brown meat, it gives it a caramelized flavor making it richer and more flavorful.
Can I make this Taco meat Recipe in my Instant Pot?
Yes, you can however you will need to make the following adjustments.
Add 1/4 cup of beef broth.
Place the ground meat, broth and spices in the Instant Pot and press the Manual button and set for 10 minutes.
Let the meat natural release and then serve with your favorite toppings
So you’ve made a big batch of taco meat in your slow cooker, what do you do now?
There are endless possibilities! Here are some ideas:
1. Tacos- of course! This is the obvious choice. Use soft or hard taco shells, and top with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and whatever else you like.
2. Burritos- again, use your favorite burrito fillings. Beans, rice, shredded chicken, and salsa are all great options.
3. Nachos- layer chips with beef, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream for a delicious snack or appetizer.
4. Quesadillas- another easy option. Just layer tortillas with cheese and beef, fold them up, and cook until the cheese is melted.
5. Taco Salad- this one is pretty self-explanatory. Just pile all your favorite taco toppings on a bed of greens for a healthy dinner option.
6. Enchiladas– one of my favorites! Just roll the beef and cheese mixture up in some tortillas and smother in enchilada sauce. Bake until hot and bubbly.
Make a bunch of dinners with this flavorful and tender slow cooker taco meat.
- In a small bowl combine all of the spices.
- Add the beef, tomato paste and spices to the slow cooker. Use a spoon to mix up the ingredients and break up the meat.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Break up the meat some more.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the slow cooker and serve.
- Chef’s tip: You can reserve 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning and add it in the last 30 minutes of cooking. This extra step isn’t necessary, but it will heighten the flavor of the meat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 42g