July 13, 2015   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo Chocolate cupcake

My Little boy just turned 4 and last weekend was filled with food, family, friends and some tears.

On the night of the birthday party, my little guy decided he was ready to sleep in his own room.  We have co-slept since he was out of the womb and I knew the day would come when he would be ready to have his own space.  As I tucked him in that night and told him a silly bedtime story,  it was bitter sweet.

I went downstair, wrapped my arms around my husband and cried.  There is so much joy and pain in motherhood.   I’m learning that being a mother is more than just giving unconditional love but  teaching your children the skills to be successful in life and so that one day they can go out and blaze a trail of their own.

Witthout  my Mother’s guidance I would never have started the dreams that one day became all of this.

I didn’t mean to let this post turn into something sad when truly it is all about  joy and living and my Little guy’s request for chocolate cupcakes.

This recipe is out of this world and if food could taste like love, this would be it.

paleo Chocolate cupcake

Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes

Frosting

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 10 cupcake liners and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl add the ingredients and mix with a spoon until completely combined.
  3. Pour the batter in to the cupcake liners and place in oven.
  4. Let cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Remove from the oven and let cool.
  6. In mixing bowl add in the ingredients for the frosting and mix with a hand mixer.
  7. Frost the copycakes and enjoy!

paleo Chocolate cupcake

• July 13, 2015 at 9:08 am

Wow Kelly, I’m in love with the photos! The cupcakes look crazy delish too!

• July 13, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I’m obsessed with these pictures and this cupcake! And the frosting! What recipe did you use for it? Pretty sure I’m going to be thinking about it all night. Lucky for me I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen right now. 🙂

• Teri
    July 13, 2015 at 10:50 pm

These look delicious! Can’t wait to make them for a special time. I’m curious what you use for a frosting recipe?

• Tami
    July 14, 2015 at 9:22 pm

What is the frosting?

• Edith
    July 16, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Made it last night and it came out awesome. I did pulse the almond flour in my small Magic Bullet to make it fine. Thank you for sharing this great recipe.

• July 17, 2015 at 8:22 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Edith!

• Edith
    July 19, 2015 at 4:25 am

Hi again! I was asked to make it again and I was really hoping it came out perfect like the first time and just want you to know it did! I didn’t give you a rating the first time because I forgot but this recipe deserves a five! My family are Paleo lovers and chocolate is one of the things they didn’t want to give up. I bought your book from Amazon and glad I did. Keep up the great work!

• July 19, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Your pictures look soooooooooo good!

• July 23, 2015 at 11:57 am

Wow!! I love this style of photography for you! These look amazing….I’ve got to make them soon 🙂

• Kimberly Mecom
    September 21, 2015 at 11:26 am

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer to make these with water or a type of milk? If milk, which one do you suggest? Thank you and yes, your pictures look beautiful!

• September 24, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I totally use water when remaking recipes since, well, I’m lazy like that. If I have milk, I will use raw milk since my husband does not like the taste of coconut. THanks for the compliment Kimberly.

• Maja
    January 24, 2016 at 3:20 am

Making these right now!

• February 16, 2016 at 7:57 am

These look perfect for my daughters birthday next week! I can’t wait to try them.

• May 2, 2016 at 9:03 am

Happy Birthday to her and I hope you all love it.

• April 3, 2016 at 5:51 am

I made these yesterday for my son’s 4th birthday party 🙂 they were a hit! I managed to get 12 cubcakes out of the batter, and made two batches, and most of them were gone. I got great feedback from guests and they were surprised it was made with almond flour. They were fluffy and moist.

• Maria
    April 3, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Just finished making these puppies and they are delicious! By far the best Paleo cupcake!!! Thank you for sharing…

• Amanda Siceloff
    April 5, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Do you think if I just added orange food coloring to the frosting, they would turn out ok?

• May 2, 2016 at 8:59 am

I don’t think you would see the color hun.

• Lauren
    May 10, 2016 at 3:09 am

Hi there. I’m using this recipe for my diabetic daughter of 6 years. She absolutely loves it. Would you by any chance know what the carb count is for this recipe as I have to carb count for allowance per meal. Hope you can help.

• Usnea
    July 16, 2016 at 8:15 am

I want to make these soooo bad! My husband is alergic to almonds ( & walnuts, pecans, and pine nuts.) though. What could I use instead?

• November 13, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Ohhh… honestly you could try sunflower seeds hun. It might work.

• Rory
    July 23, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Would excluding the cocoa make vanilla-Ish cupcakes? Or should more vanilla be added?

• September 13, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Kelly!!! This recipe is wonderful and the story was so sweet and heartfelt. Brought me tears! I had almost the exact same experience when my son wanted to sleep in his own bed ????. Every once in awhile he will pop in and I’ll wake up sandwiched between my 5 and almost 2 year old and I just whisper..thank you…because what else can you say in a moment like that. Ahhh… Well it was his little sisters idea to make cupcakes (insert adorable 2 year old girl saying “make cake pees”) so I looked for a good review and these were the winner! Wow I am so glad I tried this recipe it is a keeper!
    I didn’t have almond flour so I used oat flour and no maple syrup so I used raw honey. Turned out amazing! Thanks for the post!! ????

• Amanda
    September 29, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I’m not sure I did it right! Help! I made the cupcakes tonight and they don’t seem sweet. I used vegan butter and water. Is it normal? Also, I can not get palm shortening in time for our party so I used the vegan butter again, for the icing, not sure that’s good ether. Any ideas.

• September 30, 2016 at 9:05 am

You can melt down some vegan chocolate chips and drizzle them over the cupcakes to help increase the sugar hun. I’ve never made them with vegan butter so I’m not sure what that would do to the recipe.