This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on March 8, 2022
Most contemporary kitchens include a variety of gear to tackle various culinary jobs, ensuring that every dish is a spectacular dinner. Among them will be a chopping board, a set of knives, pans, and pots.
So whether you’re a home or professional cook, the value of a meat cleaver can’t be overstated. This knife can scale, mince, slice, and tenderize any meat.
However, with so many alternatives accessible right now, choosing the best one may be difficult and time-consuming. This is because you must take into account a number of factors that complicate the decision-making process.
Fortunately, we’ve carefully reviewed the top ones on the market to help you pick the best meat cleaver out there.
The 8 Best Meat Cleaver in 2022
A meat cleaver is so crucial in any kitchen. So here are the greatest cleaver knives out there.
1. Imarku Chef’s Knife – Best Overall
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL CHEF KNIFE: imarku chef’s knife featured curved blade profile, the sharp tip can cut up vegetables and fruits, the middle part of the blade can smash garlic bulbs while the bottom can mince meat. The agile 7 inch blade is designed specifically for straight cutting tasks such as chopping, mincing, dicing, and slicing.
- ADVANCED CLEAVER KNIFE: Cleaver blade is made of Premium German high-carbon stainless steel, carefully hand-sharpened edge at 17 degrees per side for the ultimate in sharpness, hand-forged and mirror-polished by craftsman with over 25 years of experience that can avoid rust, stains and corrosion.
- PREMIUM KITCHEN KNIFE: Handle of this butcher knife is made of high-density pakkawood, which has high hardness, will not crack after long-term use and has beautiful grain. After polishing process, handle arc perfectly fits the palm of the hand, providing optimal grip and comfort during use, without fatiguing your hand and guaranteed to be durable.
- ULTRA-SHARP MEAT CLEAVER: Vacuum heat treatment makes the knife blade hard to HRC56±2, so the blade is indestructible and won't break for a long time use. imarku Chinese cleaver is the kitchen knives of choice for breaking down meat and cutting through small bones and tough connective tissue. When other knives can not cut, our meat knife can provide you with ensure. You can use it to chop through tough-skinned squash and large tubers.
- TRUSTWORTHY: imarku focuses on developing high-quality cooking knife and is dedicated to enhance your cooking experience. Our no questions asked replacement or money back guarantee protects you for life from any possible defect. imarku vegetable cleaver is the perfect gift for Weddings, Halloween, Housewarming, Thanksgiving, Christmas.
Imarku is a professional chef’s knife that has been polished and designed for optimal grip and comfort. This knife is perfect for home cooking or in a professional kitchen. In addition, its sharp blade can easily cut through any food, from meat to vegetables, without breaking or bending.
Imarku’s Chef’s Knife is one of the best knives for chopping, dicing, and slicing. Also, it’s hand-forged and hand-sharpened by master artisans to ensure the ultimate sharpness. And its blade is made of high-carbon German steel, which can help prevent rust.
What’s more, this high-quality Chinese cleaver is made using a vacuum heat-treatment process. Hence, the blade is quite hard with a 56 HRC, so it won’t break easily. The handle is also made of wood, so it won’t slip from your hand even if it’s wet. Additionally, it’s thick, giving the knife a sturdy and comfortable feel.
What We Like:
- Heavy duty
- Has a precise edge
- Ergonomic handle
- Made of German high carbon steel
What We Don’t Like:
The Imarku’s Chef’s Knife comes at the top of our list. Its blade is crafted of top-quality stainless steel, polished to a precise edge, and has a beautiful wood handle.
2. TUO 7-Inch – Best Wooden Handle
- 【PREMIUM STEEL】In order to ensure the good performance, we specially choose high quality German steel for its blade. After high-tech vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cold treatment, the steel hardness is increased to HRC56 ±2, and has good corrosion resistance and good edge protection performance, greatly improving the cost performance of our knife.
- 【RAZOR SHARP EDGE】The blade is hand-polished by skilled blacksmiths using the traditional three-step Honbazuke method. With each side of the blade measuring only 18 degrees, this extremely sharp blade provides you with unparalleled cutting pleasure.Your work in the kitchen will be easy and efficient.
- 【ERGONOMIC PAKKAWOOD HANDLE】In addition to the surprisingly comfortable feel and ergonomically shaped line design , the unique color combination is also the highlight of this knife. Instead of the traditional simple black handle, the handle of this knife adopts a fashionable combination of tan and black, which is similar to the color of tiger fur to give this knife a wild and powerful look and make your kitchen look less monotonous .
- 【TUO LIFETIME GUARANTEE】 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk-free. We guarantee a superior product that will give you a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects. With the luxury case, it is the wise choice as a gift.
The key selling point of the TUO 7-inch is the design of its wooden handle. Although the classy combination of brown and black looks fantastic, you’ll receive more than just beautiful looks. The handle is ergonomically designed to provide you with one of the most comfortable and secure grips imaginable.
In addition, the stainless steel blade of this knife is hand-polished by professional blacksmiths using the ancient three-step Honbazuke procedure. This procedure incorporates high-tech vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cold treatment to improve performance and longevity. As a result, it has a score of 56 on the Rockwell Scale.
Also, the blade is robust and has a strong resistance to rust and corrosion. And because each side of the blade is just at an 18 degrees slant, it’s appropriate for chopping a wide variety of meals, including meat and vegetable cuts. Moreover, the blade is sharp and heavy enough to cut through bone, so you can quickly separate meat from the bone.
And the best part is that this knife won’t break your bank.
What We Like:
- Attractive design
- Hand polished
What We Don’t Like:
- A little hefty
The TUO 7″ Cleaver isn’t only functional but also has an attractive wooden handle. And you can easily cut through big portions of meat and bone. In addition, it’s an affordable pick.
3. Aroma House 7-Inch – Best Grip
- Premier Meat Cleaver➦An ideal Gift for any Home or Professional Kitchen Cook,High-quality Carbon Stainless Steel greatly improves the hardness of the Cooking Knife at 58-60 RHC. The chromium, molybdenum and vanadium metal elements have good special properties for the strength, hardness, anti-rust and sharp about this cleaver.
- No-slip Ergonomic Handle ➦Ergonomically designed handle is Full Tang, which can prevent the blade of this chefs cleaver from falling easily, help you get good hold feeling and non-slip effect. The kitchen cleaver butcher knife is a great beauty, impeccable performance this strong design with a good strength, durability.
- Mutifunctional Meat Cleaver Knife ➦ The Chinese meat knife is Perfect for Cutting, Chopping, Slicing, De Boning, Cleaving Meats, Light Bone, Vegetable, and coconut,easily to re-sharpen, clean and maintain.You can’t lose – the most Comfortable Handle you will feel with Unrivalled Massive Cutting Performance!making this a great addition to any professional or high quality home cutlery.
- Sharp Blade ➦Kitchen knife blade is 17° per side and mirror polished by hand, ensuring ultra-thin slicing and dicing with minimal effort, this Chinese cleaver knife of wide blade keeps the cook's fingers away from the cutting surface.This pro chef’s knife comes in its own sturdy box with magnetic closure, which is easy to open and still allows for safety and protection from the stain.
- Lifetime warranty ➦100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Try our chinese vegetable cleaver without risk, it's best gift for Christmas, Weddings, Birthdays, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, for Home Cooks, Professional Chefs, Culinary Students and more.
The Aroma House 7-inch is a versatile kitchen helper for any home or professional chef. This heavy-duty cleaver has a full tang, ergonomically-designed handle, which will prevent the blade from falling easily, help you get a good grip, and provide a non-slip effect. The handle is also made of wood that has been treated with oil, which makes it easy to maintain.
In addition, this cleaver is durable, lightweight, and easy to clean. And the blade is made of high-quality German stainless steel that’s rust-resistant, easy to resharpen, and attractive.
This bone-crusher has a 17 degrees slant per side and is mirror finished, giving you the ability to cut and dice with minimal effort. And with a wide blade, it keeps the cook’s fingers away from the cutting surface.
The Aroma cleaver is also versatile; it can cut through boneless meat, poultry, vegetables, and fruits.
What We Like:
- Has a good grip
- Attractive design
- Water-resistant handle
What We Don’t Like:
- Not suitable for chopping bones
The Aroma 7-inch Cleaver is affordable, versatile, and has an excellent grip. Also, it readily chops through various foods, and it’s quite easy to maintain.
4. Henckels 6-Inch – Best for Amature Cooks
- Made in Spain
- Fabricated from high quality German stainless steel
- Fully forged construction offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
- Professional, satin finished blade boasts precision cutting and is finely honed for long lasting sharpness
- Ergonomic, traditional triple rivet handle gives balance and comfort
The Henckels 6-Inch Cleaver is a good choice if you’re just getting started in the kitchen because it’s easier to use than other choices.
This is because the knife is lightweight; it weighs a little over a pound. In addition, it has a short, 6-inch blade that ensures a great grip. And it’s sturdy enough to crush garlic cloves easily. Hence, with these measurements, beginners won’t be intimidated by the instrument in their hands.
Also, because the knife is made from top-notch German stainless steel, it cuts with accuracy and ease. The cutting edge of this cleaver is razor-sharp and lasts a long time. And when the time comes, it sharpens up well.
It also features a satin surface, which helps to decrease drag and resistance, allowing for easier cutting. Moreover, the blade is a bit curved, so it’ll feel more like a chef’s knife to you. And as an added advantage, this knife may be washed in the dishwasher.
What We Like:
- Satin finish
- Curved blade
- Dishwasher safe
What We Don’t Like:
- Slight small for big jobs
The Henckels 6-inch Cleaver is your go-to option if you’re still starting your journey as a cook. It’s light enough to flourish on the chopping board yet hefty enough to crush food. In addition, the handle features a pleasant grip, so there’s no risk of sliding or dropping it when you hold it.
5. Utopia 7-Inches – Powerful Pick
- Heavy duty cleaver is made from 100 percent stainless steel
- 7 Inch cleaver knife cuts easily through large pieces of food and is perfect for bone cutting, chopping and cleaving
- ABS 430 handle allows for easy grip and hassle-free maneuvering and the superior quality stainless steel blade holds an ultra-sharp edge providing lasting and superior cutting performance
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen
- Dishwasher safe; hand washing is recommended to retain the fine quality of the exceptional blade
The Utopia 7-inches Cleaver has a high cutting power and can easily make lengthier cuts, making it ideal for chefs and butchers alike. Even thicker bones are no competition for this cleaver.
And because it has adequate strength to cut through thick meat quickly, the time required for food preparations is minimized. In addition, it has a sharp edge, allowing you to perform safe cuts with pinpoint accuracy.
It’s also truly lightweight and has an ergonomic handle that fits comfortably in your hand with an excellent grip that avoids any slippage.
Plus, it’s quite sturdy, so it should last an extended time if adequately cared for. Fortunately, appropriate maintenance includes putting the kitchen knife in the dishwasher, which makes cleaning a breeze.
Also, the stainless steel blade is rust and corrosion-resistant, extending its lifespan even more. On top of that, it’s relatively inexpensive.
What We Like:
- Suitable for big cuts
What We Don’t Like:
- Needs constant resharpening
- No protective sheath
The Utopia 7-inch Cleaver is a powerful tool that’s lightweight and provides a well-balanced feel. It has a great cutting section and is easy to maneuver.
6. Dalstrong 9-Inch – Professional Pick
- Versatile multi-purpose, medium-heavy duty cleaver featuring outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price.
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. Precisely tempered and stain resistant. The blade ensures vegetables, fruits, meats, fish and small bones are no match for the power and might of Gladiator Series cleavers.
- Award winning design, with satisfying heft, premium materials and quality feel. Featuring a beautiful, ergonomic and ambidextrous G10 Garolite handle with mosaic and engraving. Laminated and polished for a sanitary build, perfect for busy kitchens.
- Engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness and hand polished to a satin finish. Carefully tapered for improved hardness, flexibility, and minimal slicing resistance. Tall blade height provides useful knuckle clearance. National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certified.
- Dalstrong Trust: We know you'll love it! 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect. Renowned Dalstrong customer service. See why chef’s around the world trust and love, ‘The Dalstrong Difference’. Suitable as a gift (Christmas, weddings, birthdays, fathers day, mothers day), for culinary students, home cooks, professional chefs and more. Now you are slicing with POWER. Dalstrong POWER!
The Dalstrong Cleaver Knife has excellent quality and is considered a wonderful investment for professional butchers or chefs wanting to add another heavy-duty piece to their kitchen equipment.
This multifunctional knife may be used for slicing, chopping, and cutting meat and bone without effort. It can also cut fruits, seafood, and vegetables.
The knife has a complete tang and a long 9-inch blade, making it excellent for cutting huge joints in terms of size and durability. In addition, it boasts an extra-thick, ambidextrous handle that aids in grip, is made of G10 Garolite, and is both flexible and hard. You’ll also have a lot of control because of the ergonomic, easy-to-grip handle.
And the best part is that it comes with a wonderful additional item to keep the knife safe: a gorgeous, handmade acacia wood stand.
It’s important to note that it’s not the greatest knife to start with if you’re still learning your way around a kitchen.
What We Like:
- Works well with professionals
- Cuts easily through bones
- Sleek design
What We Don’t Like:
- Not beginner-friendly
This Dalstrong cleaver is a knife that’s unquestionably more advanced than your traditional meat cleaver. It has a pinching grip, and you can use this heavy-duty knife to make whatever exact cuts you want.
7. Sato Forged – Best Bone Chopper
- Forged stainless-steel blade With Walnut Wood Full Tang Handle
- Blade Length x Width x Thickness: 8" x 4" x 3.5 mm, 1.6 LBS
- Helfty 1.6 lb Weight Will Easily Chop Through Joints and Bones
If you like to chop through bones, the 8-inch blade length bone chopper from Sato would be your ideal choice.
In addition, this cleaver has a thick, 8-inch blade length made with high-quality stainless steel. The walnut handle is very comfortable in your hand and comes with a full tang for added sturdiness. And it’s great for chopping through meat, vegetables, bones, and more.
It’s important to mention that it’s one of the mid-range models on the market, so it’s not super inexpensive but not too expensive either. However, we can say that it’s worth every penny.
Moreover, it’s heavyweight but with the proper balance. So it may be too hefty for some, but you can always try it out and see for yourself. And if you often use your butcher knife, you’ll appreciate the fact that this meat cleaver is heavy-duty and can sustain continuous usage.
What We Like:
- Good for bones
- Comfortable to hold
- The end of the blade is curved
- Heavy-duty stainless steel
What We Don’t Like:
- Not dishwasher safe
- A bit heavy
If you’re looking for a reasonably priced tool for cutting bones, this is the right meat cleaver for you. It has an 8-inch, full tang cleaver that’s fantastic for slicing through any sort of meat or bone.
8. Mueller 7-Inch – Best for Sharpness
- Premium Durability And Quality - Mueller super sharp Chinese Cleaver Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, quickly re-sharpens and is easy to clean and maintain. High-quality steel will offer you a high-quality experience and performance.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver’s Knife - Designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications and it can be used for your daily kitchen tasks, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Extremely Sharp Edge - Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough all kinds of meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest engineering.
- Pakkawood Handle - The wooden handle is made of pakka wood, with layers of wooden stacked together for a perfect radiance from the wood grain. The handle is dense and compact, deterring any water damages, while avoiding the splitting that is common in other wooden materials. To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, after holding it continuously for an extended time, the Chinese knife's handle provides you a secure comfortable grip, not easy to slip, sturdy and labor-saving.
- Superior Quality With Mueller - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us, our professional customer support is always here for you!
The budget-friendly Mueller Meat Cleaver has a 7-inch, high carbon stainless steel blade that’s anti-corrosion and sharpens quickly. In addition, each side of the ultra-sharp blade has an 18-degree cutting angle, which is quite impressive. And the blade’s tip-to-tip sharpness makes cutting, mincing, cleaving, and deboning meats pretty simple.
What’s more, the blade has a hole that makes it easier to store the meat cleaver. It also has an ergonomically designed handle that provides a non-slip and stiff grip for effortless cutting.
Moreover, this cleaver is a multifunctional knife for professional applications as well as regular culinary activities. And it’s appropriate for both residential and commercial kitchens.
What We Like:
- Long-lasting sharpness
- Full tang meat cleaver
What We Don’t Like:
- Slightly heavy
The Mueller Cleaver is razor-sharp, making it a multipurpose tool for both professional and everyday cooking tasks. The opening in the blade allows storing the meat cleaver easily. In addition, it won’t dent your wallet.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Meat Cleaver
Now that you’ve read our in-depth reviews of seven of the finest meat cleavers, there are a few things to keep in mind while purchasing one of these blades.
A good meat cleaver can endure the heavy-duty demands of constantly chopping and cutting through flesh and bone.
So you’ll need to check the blade’s material, which is commonly stainless or sharp carbon steel blade. You should always opt for a high-quality steel type that’ll help prevent corrosion and withstand the daily duties of a cleaver.
In addition, you should check the meat cleaver’s handle material to ensure durability and a suitable grip. For example, wooden handles are an excellent choice as they ensure a good grip. However, there are also Pakkawood and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene options.
However, you’ll indeed have to look more attentively toward the upper end of the price range to discover better quality meat cleaver knives manufactured with premium materials. But there are still a few superb meat cleavers with acceptable prices.
While it’s crucial to select a meat cleaver knife that’s well-made and has a long-lasting design, you also need to consider how comfortable it’ll be to grip.
Flesh cleavers can easily cut through meat and bone. But if they’re too huge, unpleasant, awkward, or heavy to hold in your hand, you’re unlikely to use them.
Furthermore, you can opt for different aesthetic designs, such as a traditional, streamlined, straightforward, or a design that’s a little funkier. All in all, it boils down to your personal opinion and needs.
Meat cleavers have a tendency to have a heavy blade, which can throw off your swing when chopping and make the knife seem cumbersome or difficult to grip.
In addition, the front weight is necessary because it produces a natural falling motion for the knife to lean into with each swing, making cutting through flesh and bone much easier. However, if this weight is shifted too far forward, only the front section of the blade will make meaningful contact and cuts. So, it’s important to choose a cleaver with a good balance.
You should also examine the weight of the material used to make the knife and how much this will add to the total weight. This is a crucial consideration in determining whether or not a cleaver is suitable for you to use safely.
Although hanging the cleaver with other knives on a magnetic knife bar is a convenient way to store it, what will happen if you don’t have one? Also, magnetic knife holders are incompatible with hefty meat cleavers.
To address this issue, many meat cleavers feature a hole in the corner of the blade that can be hung on a peg or hook, making it a convenient kitchen tool to keep.
A product that comes with a manufacturer’s warranty is always preferable to one that doesn’t. For example, most of the top meat cleavers come with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. So choose a meat cleaver that has all of the functions as well as a warranty in the event of a manufacturing failure.
What Is the Purpose of a Meat Cleaver?
A meat cleaver is the finest tool for cutting, slicing, deboning, chopping, cleaving, and pounding thin or thick meats. Aside from chopping meat, a meat cleaver is also used to cut and peel huge and complex vegetables and fruits and break coconuts.
Which Blade Shape Is Best for Cleavers?
A meat cleaver’s blade is generally rectangular and flat. Many cleavers feature a blade with a modest curvature and a sharp tip. However, when it comes to operation, the form of the blade is unimportant, but the sharpness of the blade aids in smooth and rapid cutting.
What Is the Ideal Meat Cleaver Length?
Meat cleavers are available in a variety of sizes, ranging from 4.5-5-inch blades for micro cleavers to 6-9-inch blades for big meat cleavers. While a standard-sized meat cleaver has a 7-inch blade, a 5 to 6-inch one is perfect for both professional and household cooks.
Is It OK to Put the Meat Cleaver in the Dishwasher?
Some meat cleavers claim to be dishwasher safe, and you can certainly wash them in one. However, dishwashing the cleaver may cause corrosion, decolorization of the edge, and damage to the handle. If you want the blade and handle to last a long time, wash it with a sponge and a little dishwashing soap.
What Affects the Lifespan of a Meat Cleaver?
The longevity of a meat cleaver is determined by the material of the cleaver and how you care for it. Everything, including a meat cleaver, needs upkeep and care to stay long.
If you’re an inveterate cook or culinary geek, it makes sense to have a few specialized cleavers in your kitchen. By now, you’ll probably find it easier to choose the best meat cleaver out there. However, to make things easier for you, here’s a quick recap of our top three picks.
Our top pick is the Imarku’s Chef’s Knife. It’s made of top-quality stainless steel, polished to a precise edge, and is rust-resistant. It’s a must-have if you’re looking for a versatile, heavy-duty cleaver.
In addition, the TUO 7″ Cleaver would be your go-to option if you want a functional cleaver with an attractive wooden handle. It can easily separate meat and bone.
Finally, you should opt for the Aroma 7-Inch Cleaver if you want a knife with an amazing grip. This cleaver is also affordable and versatile.