This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 7, 2023
Mushrooms are a low-carb, high-fat food perfect for the keto diet. There are many different mushrooms, but some are better for the keto diet than others. This blog post will discuss the best mushrooms for a keto diet and why they are ideal. We will also provide some recipes that include these mushrooms so you can start incorporating them into your keto diet.
Can You Have Mushrooms on a Keto Diet?
The first question you might have if you want to know which mushrooms you should eat on the keto diet is, “can I actually have mushrooms at all when on a keto diet?” The answer is yes; you can have mushrooms on a keto diet.
The main reason for this is that mushrooms are naturally very low in carbs, and the keto diet recommends that you consume less than 50 grams of carbs a day. However, it is advised to never consume less than 20 grams daily without first speaking to your healthcare professional. Mushrooms are okay for a keto diet since you will only get about 3 grams of carbs per cup (86 grams) or diced mushrooms.
Which Mushrooms Should You Eat?
Now that you have a good idea of why mushrooms are okay if you are on a keto diet, you must know which mushrooms you are allowed to have. The current list below is in no particular order and contains the information you’ll need to choose the best mushrooms.
- Lion’s Mane: The Lion’s Mane mushroom contains 7 grams of net carbs, 2.4 grams of protein, and 35 calories per 100 grams.
- Portobello: The Portobello mushroom contains 2.6 grams of net carbs, 2.1 grams of protein, and 22 calories per 100 grams.
- Truffles: Truffles contain 0.3 grams of net carbs, 0.4 grams of protein, and 4 calories per 100 grams.
- Cloud Ear: The Cloud Ear mushroom contains 2.9 grams of net carbs, 9.3 grams of protein, and 284 calories per 100 grams.
- Morel Mushroom: The Morel mushroom contains 2.3 grams of net carbs, 3.1 grams of protein, and 31 calories per 100 grams.
- White Button: The White Button mushroom contains 3.1 grams of net carbs, 2.2 grams of protein, and 28 calories per 100 grams.
- Chanterelle: The Chanterelle mushroom contains 3.1 grams of net carbs, 1.5 grams of protein, and 32 calories per 100 grams.
As you can see, there are a few factors to consider when choosing a mushroom for the keto diet. For example, even though the Cloud Ear mushroom has a reasonable amount of net carbs per 100 grams (2.9 grams), it has a lot of calories (284 calories). Compared to the Lion’s Mane mushroom, which is at 7 grams of net carbs and only 35 calories per 100 grams, the Lion’s Mane is a better choice if you need to get your carbs in for the day.
In case you didn’t know, Lion’s Mane mushrooms have unique properties. Lion’s Mane is a unique tasting mushroom with a meaty texture, which makes it a popular choice for culinary use. Additionally, Lion’s Mane mushrooms are known for their purported health benefits.
What Benefits Do Mushrooms Offer for Keto?
Aside from being a decent source of carbs with a low calorie intake, mushrooms also offer a few other benefits. For example, mushrooms are a great source of folate, vitamin B5, vitamin B2, and niacin. Likewise, did you know mushrooms can also help to detoxify your liver? More importantly, mushrooms can help to regulate your thyroid since they contain an antioxidant called selenium.
Food Recipes with Mushrooms
If this has gotten you curious about including mushrooms in your next dish, plenty of dishes work well with keto. Here are a few:
- Keto Beef Stroganoff
- Keto Chicken Casserole Cheesy Bake
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Mushrooms
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pot Chicken Marsala
- Mushroom Chips
When choosing the mushroom to use, you should also weigh in the calories it contains and the carbs compared to the other ingredients you are planning on using. What’s more is that there are also plenty of vegetables that are great for the keto diet that you could include in your meals, such as zucchini, lettuce, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, and green beans.