February 10, 2014   By Kelly Bejelly

bakes bananas

It’s been Snow Armageddon in Portland and I have been “stuck” in my house for 4 days.  First, I hate the snow.  I hate feeling trapped in my house.  It’s during times like this that I can imagine how the first pioneers must have felt as the snow piled up outside.  They would have prayed that all their hard work growing food during the year would keep them alive during the long, dark winter.  No Ma’am, I don’t want anything to do with that way of life, and I’m already trying to convince Mr. Bejelly that we need to move to any place where the sun shines 300 days a year.

Anyhow, back to this week’s recipe.  It came about because I had nothing else in my pantry.  Sometimes you get the best results when you have to be creative.  This is one of those times.  It’s warm and simple, and perfect for these cold winter days.

A baked banana dessert recipe for a grain-free, Paleo diet - A Girl Worth Saving

Baked Bananas

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl add the lemon juice, honey, melted butter, sea salt vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and shredded coconut and blend well.
  3. Place your sliced bananas in a small baking dish and cover with the coconut mixture. You can also place this into two smaller ramekins.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes until lightly golden brown.

bakes bananas

© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• natalie
    February 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Do you think this would work for apples or maybe even berries during summer?

• February 11, 2014 at 10:05 am

Yes, you will have to adjust the cooking time a tad.

• ADR
    February 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Looks delicious and easy! I’m trying this tonight!

• February 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Count me in I love my bananas, roasted, baked, fried… whateva 🙂

• February 11, 2014 at 10:02 am

So yummy Robin! I had a hard time getting it away from my husband and son!

• February 11, 2014 at 6:38 am

I have never heard of baking bananas like this! Would it work with overripe bananas because right now I just toss them in the freezer and forget about them. I would rather put them to use.

• February 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

Yes! You won’t have to add honey since the bananas are so sweet 🙂

• Margie
    February 12, 2014 at 9:09 am

Kelly, thank you so much for advertising Paleocon! I started listening to some of the sessions and decided to take the 30 day challenge after listening to Katie, the wellness mama. I’m surprised how easy it has been for me. I did get rid of everything non-Paleo from my kitchen.

We visited friends this past weekend (lucky us – escaped the Portland snows!) and when a luscious chocolate cake was served, I didn’t mind not eating it at all. The gluten free three of us enjoyed macaroons instead.

I’m looking forward to trying some of your yummy sounding desserts. Thanks for making them nut free as my husband has nut allergies.

• February 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Thanks Margie! Good luck on your journey and I know you will feel a million bucks better.

• February 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hey Kelly! Some of my best (and worst, haha) dishes tend to be when I have nothing in the kitchen. I think it just forces us to get creative 🙂 This dish looks fantastic! I already have all the ingredients, I’m definitely making this over the weekend!

• Heather
    April 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I doubled this recipe for a big family dessert and it was so delicious! I thought the sauce might not make it to the bananas since it was so tasty, but I managed to stop myself from “sampling” the entire bowl. Phew, that was a close one!

• April 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Yeah! I have the same problem Heather 🙂

• Jeremey Quinn
    June 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

I need to apologize because I didn’t even try to make your original recipe before I changed it just a little. I added a half a can of pumpkin puree to the banana mixture before putting it all together. Amazing! Thanks for the great recipe. I have a second batch in the oven right now with the rest of the pumpkin puree but this time I used mostly ripe plantains (because I am a little obsessed with them). I’ll let you know how they turn out!

• June 29, 2014 at 8:09 pm

What a fun twist Jeremy! I’ll have to try that the next time I make this.

• December 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

I have made this a couple of times, with the adjustment of replacing half of the oil with tahini. TO DOE FOR! I serve it as a side with breakfast and we can’t get enough! Also, if you double the recipe it fits nicely in an 8×8 pan. Thanks for posting!

• Michelle Roux
    August 17, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this, definitely a new favorite of mine!