This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 28, 2020
I don’t eat enough fermented foods. Thankfully, we drink raw milk but seriously, I know for my gut health and overall health I should be eating more fermented foods. What seems like a million years ago, I found Weston A Price and bought Nourishing Traditions. It’s a dog-eared, messy copy and where I learned how to make fermented ketchup.
I’ve taken Sally’s recipe and made it my own with a few tweaks. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Garlic Cloves 2. Tomato Paste 3. Fish Sauce 4. B Grade Maple Syrup 5. Whey 6. Cayenne 7. Dry Mustard 8. Clove Powder 9. Sea Salt
Making Whey is super easy. Just take 1 quart of whole milk yogurt and strain it through a cheesecloth. Set the cheesecloth in a colander and place that in a bowl. Let it sit for several hours and you’ll get whey and a nice sour cheese that you can add herbs to or make tzatziki.
I first add all the spices: 1 tbsp of sea salt, 1/4 tsp of powdered cloves, 1/2 tsp dry mustard and 1/4 tsp cayenne
Next goes in 1/4 cup of Fish Sauce. Woo wee, that stuff is stinky.
Then I add in 3 cups of tomato paste . I always forget to check store brands and my store brand tomato paste was so much cheaper than the other organic brand I had bought.
Now add in 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
Next up is that beautiful whey that you made earlier. Add 1/4 cup.
Now add in 3 cloves of smashed garlic. I love that you add smashed garlic to this. Nothing like getting out some aggression and not having an extra knife to wash.
Now mix all that up with a whisk for a good minute or three. You want to make sure that everything is completely blended so the whey is in every part of the fermented ketchup. The first time I made this, I didn’t mix it well and got mold so MIX it well.
Now scoop that in a quart mason jar and let it sit on your counter for 2 days. Store in your fridge and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of powdered cloves
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup of Fish Sauce
- 3 cups of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup B grade maple syrup
- cup Add 1/4 whey
- 3 cloves of smashed garlic
- Place all your spices in a bowl.
- Then add in the fish sauce, the tomato paste, maple syrup, the whey and the smashed garlic.
- Mix for a good 2 minutes to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Place in a mason jar and set on your counter for 2 days.
- Then store in your fridge and enjoy!