This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on January 2, 2024
It’s super easy to make your own coconut milk and it will save you loads of money too! This photo tutorial of how to make coconut milk will walk you through each step.
Coconut milk is a staple in my paleo kitchen. I’m not a fan of the thick, creamy canned variety and it’s often full of additives, including emulsifiers which are gut irritants and have been linked to inflammation, obesity, and inflammatory bowel disease (see Science Notes).
Thankfully, it is easier to purchase emulsifier-free full-fat coconut milk in BPA-free cans and tetra packs. The convenience of packaged coconut milk and cream just can’t be beat, but they can be expensive. If these high quality products are beyond your food budget, or if you live in an area where sourcing them is a challenge, you can make you own from unsweetened dried coconut. As an added benefit, the sweet taste of homemade coconut milk just can’t be beat and it’s so much cheaper to make it at home!
What you’ll need for this Recipe:
1 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
2 1/2 cups of hot water
1 mesh strainer – I use a paint strainer bag from Home Depot that cost $3. You can reuse these over and over. I did soak it in warm soapy water and vinegar before I used it the first time. You can also just get a nut milk bag.
How to Make Coconut Milk:
Dump the hot water and coconut shreds in your blender
Depending on your blender, blend for up to a minute. In my Blendtec, Around 30 seconds, the warm smell of coconut hit me and I knew it was done.
The surface of the coconut milk mixture should be nice and bubbly.
Now strain the homemade coconut through your mesh bag/nut milk bag into a large bowl.
Wring out the extra coconut milk.
Pour into a glass resealable container Voila! We have coconut milk. This is a nice light coconut milk and the cream will rise to the top after it settles. You can also use a nut milk maker of you don’t want to do go through all these steps.
If you like this How to Make Coconut Milk tutorial, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Making coconut milk from scratch is so simple! IN less than five minutes you can make homemade coconut milk.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 1/2 cups of hot water
- Dump the hot water and coconut shreds in your blender
- Depending on your blender, blend for up to a minute. In my Blendtec, Around 30 seconds, the warm smell of coconut hit me and I knew it was done.
- The surface of the coconut milk mixture should be nice and bubbly.
- Now strain the homemade coconut through your mesh bag into a large bowl.
- Wring out the extra coconut milk.
- Pour into a glass resealable container Voila! We have coconut milk. This is a nice light coconut milk and the cream will rise to the top after it settles
- I almost always double this recipe.You can make large batches of coconut milk and freeze it in freezer-safe mason jars (leave an inch of headroom) so that you always have some handy.
- Because there are no emulsifiers, the coconut milk will naturally separate and be a little clumpy (the consistency of curdled milk with a very solid top layer) when chilled. If you want to drink the milk, blend in a blender right before drinking.
Serving Size:.5 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g