This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 8, 2023
Are you tired of buying store-bought fruit roll-ups loaded with added sugars and preservatives? Making homemade fruit roll ups is a simple and fun process that allows you to control the ingredients and customize the flavors to your liking.
You can use a variety of fruits, such as strawberries, mangoes, and apples, to create delicious homemade strawberry fruit leather and nutritious snacks that are perfect for on-the-go or as a lunchbox treat. If you love fruit, this is the recipe for you!
So why not give this fruit leather recipe a try? It’s a fun recipe.
Why You Will Love healthy fruit Roll Ups! It’s a healthy snack!
Are you tired of buying store-bought fruit roll-ups that are loaded with sugar and artificial flavors? This fruit roll up recipe a healthier alternative made with real fruit that you can easily make at home. Here are some reasons why you will love making your own fruit leather with no added sugar.
- Control over ingredients: When you make your own fruit roll-ups, you have complete control over what goes into them. You can choose to use organic or locally sourced fruits, and avoid any added sugars or preservatives that are commonly found in store-bought versions.
- Health benefits: This fruit snack is a great way to get your daily dose of fruit. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are essential for good health. Plus, since you are making them at home, you can ensure that they are free from any harmful additives.
- Customizable flavors: The flavor possibilities are endless. You can use any fruit you like, from strawberries and blueberries to mangoes and kiwis. You can even mix and match different fruits to create your own unique flavor combinations.
- Easy to make: Making homemade fruit roll-ups is surprisingly easy. All you need is some fruit, a blender, and an oven. Simply blend the fruit until it’s smooth, spread it out on a baking sheet, and bake it in the oven until it’s dry and chewy.
- Affordable: Making your own fruit roll-ups is also a great way to save money. Store-bought versions can be expensive, especially if you buy them regularly. By making your own, you can save money and have a healthier snack option on hand whenever you need it.
Ingredients to Make Healthy Homemade Fruit Roll Ups
Are you looking to make a healthy homemade fruit roll ups recipe? Great! The first step is to gather all the necessary ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh and ripe fruit: The most important ingredient in fruit roll-ups is, of course, the fruit. Choose fruits that are in season and at their peak ripeness. Some of the best fruits for making fruit roll-ups are strawberries, mangoes, kiwis, and peaches. You can also mix and match different fruits to create unique flavor combinations.
- Sweetener: While some fruits are naturally sweet, others may need a little help. You can add honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup to sweeten your fruit roll-ups. Be mindful of how much sweetener you add, as too much can overpower the natural flavor of the fruit.
- Lemon juice: Adding a splash of lemon juice to your fruit mixture can help balance out the sweetness and add a little tanginess.
- Spices and extracts: If you want to add a little extra flavor to your fruit roll-ups, you can add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, or extracts like vanilla or almond.
When choosing fruits for your fruit rollups, it’s important to choose ones that are fresh and ripe. Overripe fruits may be too soft and mushy, while underripe fruits may be too tart or have a tough texture. If possible, choose fruits that are in season and locally grown for the best flavor.
How to Make Fruit Leather in an Oven
Step 1: Prepare the Fruit
Start by choosing your favorite fruits. You can use fresh or frozen fruit, or a combination of both. Some great options include strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, and mangoes.
Wash and dry the fruit, then remove any stems, seeds, or pits. Gently peel the fruit and cut it into small pieces and add them to a blender or food processor. Add the lemon juice and spices and blend until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps in the pureed fruit.
Step 2: Spread the Mixture
Preheat the oven temperature to 170 degrees F (75°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the fruit mixture onto the lined baking sheet and use a spatula to spread the fruit evenly. Make sure the mixture is spread as thinly as possible, without any holes or gaps.
Step 3: Bake the Fruit Roll-Ups
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 4-6 hours, or until the fruit mixture is dry and no longer sticky. The baking time will depend on the thickness of the mixture and the humidity in your kitchen.
Once the fruit roll-ups are done, remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Use a sharp knife or kitchen scissors to peel the fruit leather off the sheet and cut the roll-ups into strips or shapes.
Tips for Success
- Use ripe, sweet fruit for the best flavor.
- Puree the fruit; if the fruit mixture is too thick to spread, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- You can add a little honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness, but it’s not necessary.
- Store the fruit roll-ups in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
How to Make Easy Fruit Leather in a Dehydrator
Are you looking for a healthy snack that is easy to make at home? Homemade fruit roll-ups are a tasty and healthy alternative to store-bought snacks that are often loaded with sugar and preservatives. Making fruit roll-ups in a dehydrator is a simple and fun way to enjoy your favorite fruits in a new way.
- Choose your fruit: You can use fresh or frozen fruit to make fruit roll-ups. Some popular options include strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, and apples. If using frozen fruit, make sure to thaw it before blending.
- Blend the fruit: Add your fruit to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You can also add a sweetener like honey or maple syrup if desired.
- Spread the mixture: Line your dehydrator trays with parchment paper or non-stick sheets. Pour the fruit mixture onto the trays and use a spatula to spread it evenly. Make sure the mixture is not too thick or too thin.
- Dehydrate the fruit: Set your dehydrator to 135-140°F (57-60°C) and let the fruit dry for 6-8 hours. Check the fruit every hour or so and rotate the trays if needed. The fruit roll-ups are ready when they are dry to the touch and peel away from the parchment paper easily.
- Store and enjoy: Once the fruit roll-ups are done, let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature for up to a week or in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Tips and Tricks
- Use ripe fruit for the best flavor and sweetness.
- If using apples or other hard fruits, consider cooking them first to soften them up before blending.
- Add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg for extra flavor.
- Try mixing different fruits together for unique flavor combinations.
- Don’t worry if the fruit mixture is not perfectly smooth – some texture is okay.
- Experiment with different thicknesses of the fruit mixture to find your preferred texture.
Storage Instructions for homemade fruit leather
Congratulations on making your own homemade fruit roll-ups! Now that they’re ready, it’s important to store them properly to keep them fresh and flavorful for as long as possible.
How do you store homemade fruit leather
To store your homemade fruit roll-ups, follow these simple steps:
- Let the fruit roll-ups cool completely before storing them. This will prevent moisture from building up inside the storage container.
- Cut the fruit roll-ups into strips or bite-sized pieces, if desired.
- Place the fruit roll-ups in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. You can also wrap them in wax paper or parchment paper for added protection.
- Store the fruit roll-ups in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, heat, and moisture. A pantry or cupboard is a good choice.
Shelf Life of Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups
Homemade fruit roll-ups can last for up to 2 weeks when stored properly. However, their shelf life can vary depending on the type of fruit used, the amount of added sugar, and the storage conditions.
If you want to keep your fruit roll-ups fresh for longer, you can freeze them. Simply wrap them in wax paper or parchment paper and place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips for Keeping Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups Fresh
Here are some tips for keeping your homemade fruit roll-ups fresh and delicious:
- Use fresh fruit whenever possible. If you must use frozen fruit, make sure to thaw it completely before making the fruit puree.
- Avoid adding too much sugar to the fruit puree. Excess sugar can cause the fruit roll-ups to stick together and become gummy.
- Store the fruit roll-ups in a single layer to prevent them from sticking together.
- If you’re using a silicone mat or baking sheet, make sure to use parchment paper to prevent the fruit roll-ups from sticking.
- If your fruit roll-ups become too dry, you can revive them by placing a damp paper towel in the storage container with them for a few hours.
With these tips and storage instructions, you can enjoy your homemade fruit roll-ups for weeks to come!
Can You Use Frozen Fruit?
Are you wondering if you can use frozen fruit to make homemade fruit roll-ups? The answer is yes! Frozen fruit is a great option for making fruit roll-ups because it is often more affordable and available year-round. Plus, frozen fruit is typically picked at its peak ripeness and then frozen, which means it can be just as nutritious as fresh fruit.
One of the benefits of using frozen fruit is that it is already peeled, chopped, and ready to use, which can save you time in the kitchen. However, there are some things to keep in mind when using frozen fruit to make fruit roll-ups.
First, frozen fruit tends to have more moisture than fresh fruit, which means you may need to adjust the recipe to prevent the fruit roll-ups from becoming too sticky or wet. You can do this by using less fruit or adding additional ingredients like chia seeds or coconut flakes to absorb the moisture.
Another thing to keep in mind is that frozen fruit may not have the same texture as fresh fruit, especially after it has been pureed. To combat this, you can try adding a fresh fruit like an apple or banana to the mixture to give it a better texture.
When using frozen fruit to make fruit roll-ups, it is important to thaw the fruit first. You can do this by leaving the fruit out at room temperature for a few hours or by microwaving it for a few minutes. Once the fruit is thawed, you can then puree it in a food processor or blender and spread it onto a fruit leather tray.
In summary, using frozen fruit to make homemade fruit roll-ups is a great option. Just keep in mind that frozen fruit may have more moisture and a different texture than fresh fruit, so it is important to adjust the recipe accordingly. With a little bit of experimentation, you can create delicious and healthy fruit roll-ups using the fruit of your choice.
Get ready for a fruity flavor explosion with our homemade fruit roll-ups! Made with love, these delightful snacks are a hit for everyone. Treat yourself to real fruit goodness in every chewy bite.
- Food dehydrator or oven
- 4 cups strawberies
- 1-2 Tbsp Honey
- Parchment paper
- Coconut oil
- Strainer (optional)
- Baking sheet (if using the oven)
- Place the fruit in your blender and puree until smooth. Use the strainer to remove any seeds if desired.
- Pour the puree into your saucepan and gently simmer for 10 minutes. You want the liquid to reduce, but stir frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and add 1 Tbsp honey. If you’re using tart fruit, like raspberries, you can add another tablespoon of honey to taste. Keep in mind though that the flavors and sweetness will intensify once dried. Also, too much sweetener can make the finished fruit leather sticky.
- Spread the fruit puree onto a lightly greased parchment lined baking sheet or dehydrator tray. Your dehydrator may have even come with liners to use. This should be about 1/4 inch thick, with a slightly thicker edge, since the edges will cook faster.
- If using an oven, bake at 175 degrees, or as low as your oven will allow. If the lowest setting on the oven is 200, you can leave the oven door open very slightly.
- If using a dehydrator, set the temperature to 140 degrees
- Cook the puree for several hours, or until the fruit leather is tacky, but no longer wet and gooey. Flip the fruit leather over and continue to dry until it’s no longer wet, but still pliable.
- Allow the fruit leather to cool completely before removing it from the parchment paper.
- Cut the fruit leather into strips. For easy storage, cut the parchment paper along with the fruit leather and roll them up.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to a month at room temperature. These can also be refrigerated or frozen for longer storage. If you notice any moisture in the container, then the fruit wasn’t dry enough and will mold if not eaten or refrigerated immediately. (source)