This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on January 21, 2023
If you bake bread at home, you probably know how hard it is to cut freshly baked gluten-free sourdough bread into perfect slices manually. This is doubly true if you aren’t using a serrated bread knife or another serrated blade or if you’re using a manual bread slicer.
First of all, you have to be extremely careful when you cut bread with a duller blade as you risk ending up with uneven slices. Worse still, if you apply too much pressure you may end up smooshing the loaf, while ending up with ragged-edged slices, which might work ok with fondue but not for sandwiches.
With an electric bread slicer you don’t have to worry about deforming your bread. Thanks to the stainless steel serrated blade on these tools, you’re able to cut really thin slices through the bread like butter.
If you want to choose the best electric bread slicer for your kitchen, we review the very best in this article.
At a Glance
- Black+Decker ComfortGrip EK500B – Best Overall
- Hamilton Beach 74250R – Best Storage
- Nutrichef PKELKN16
- Cuisinart Kitchen Pro Food Slicer
The 4 Best Electric Bread Slicers in 2022
In terms of comfort, versatility, and maintenance, the four bread slicers below are at the top of their game. Let’s get a closer look at each of them to uncover their various strengths and weaknesses.
1. Black+Decker ComfortGrip EK500B – Best Overall
- Stainless Steel Blades - The serrated blades saw rapidly and evenly through meats, breads, foam, and more. Plus, they never need to be sharpened.
- Comfort Grip Handle - The ergonomic handle is engineered to increase comfort and control during slicing.
- Dishwasher-Safe Parts - The removable blades are dishwasher-safe for fast and easy cleanup.
- Safety Lock Button - Get peace of mind with the lock button, which prevents the knife from turning on while it’s plugged in.
- Blade Release Button - One press of the blade release button unlocks the blades for easy removal.
The Black+Decker ComfortGrip EK500B deftly balances efficiency and safety. It comes with two stainless steel blades that can slice through bread, meat, vegetables, and other foods with ease.
Additionally, if you want a low-maintenance slicer that performs on demand, you’ll be happy to know that the ComfortGrip doesn’t need to be sharpened at all.
The ComfortGrip has an ergonomically designed handle, which gives you complete control when slicing. It also makes the slicer comfortable to use, which is necessary if you’ll be working for extended periods of time as is usually the case with slicing bread.
This slicer’s blades are also detachable. Simply press the blade release button and voila they’re ready to be cleaned. Speaking of, the blades on this slicer are dishwasher-safe, so you can pop them in the dishwasher and let it do its magic (lay the blades flat on the top rack).
In terms of safety features, the ComfortGrip has a safety lock which prevents it from turning on while it’s plugged in but not in use. If you have children in your house you’ll appreciate this feature. Further, the blades have a nonslip tabs, so you can easily detach or attach them to the slicer without any problems.
Finally, Black+Decker offers a generous 2-year warranty, so you can get a replacement if it breaks down while the warranty subsists. While these slicers are well-made, it’s still quite useful having the option of replacing the product if something were to go wrong.
This bread slicer is not without its flaws, however. For one thing, though Black+Decker markets the ComfortGrip’s blades as being 9 inches long, they’re actually 7 inches long when attached. The remaining 2 inches are hidden away in the handle. As such, the slicer is falsely advertised as having 9-inch blades.
- Safety lock button prevents accidental starts
- Comfortable to handle thanks to its ergonomic design
- Removable blades are dishwasher-safe
- Blade release button makes detaching blades easy
- Non-slip tabs make attaching and detaching blades safe
- Generous 2-year warranty
- Its blades aren’t 9 inches as advertised
The Black+Decker ComfortGrip EK500B is perfect for anyone who wants a bread slicer that is safe to use, easy to clean, and comfortable to handle.
Its safety lock button will give you peace of mind if you have children in the house, and its blade release button, non-slip tabs, and dishwasher-safe blades make maintenance a breeze.
2. Hamilton Beach 74250R – Best Storage
- Perfect for Meats & breads: easily carves through everything from meats, breads and tomatoes to crafting foam for DIY projects; it's also a great turkey carving knife on Thanksgiving.
- Stainless steel blades and fork: this Electric knife features reciprocating serrated blades that create even slices and the included Fork is handy for carving and serving. Button lock on: No for safety reasons
- Ergonomic Handle: designed to fit comfortably in either hand, The Electric carving knife handle is designed for Comfort and gives you better control no matter what you’re cutting.
- Space-saving storage case included: the Electric knife includes a storage case to keep the knife, blade and fork protected and easily accessible in one convenient place.
- Great crafting knife: can be used as a foam cutter in craft and DIY projects.
The standout feature of the Hamilton Beach 74250R is its storage case. This case comes included with the slicer, and helps to store the slicer -blades and all – in one handy place. You’ll never find yourself searching for all the parts to assemble this slicer.
Furthermore, the case saves a ton of space, which is a big draw if you want to save kitchen space. Like most electric bread slicers, its 10-inch reciprocating serrated blades are made of stainless steel, making them ideal for slicing meats, bread, and so on.
To really drive home the fact that this slicer is good for meat slicing, Hamilton Beach even throws in a carving fork. They’re also detachable and dishwasher-safe, so cleaning them is easy-peasy.
Additionally, the slicer’s handle is ergonomic, which is great for comfort if you’re using it to slice bread over extended periods of time, giving you full control over every slice you make.
Hamilton Beach also boasts that the blades on this electric knife won’t ever need to be sharpened, which is great from a maintenance standpoint. We found that this is indeed the case, and haven’t needed to sharpen the blades since using it.
With that said, this slicer has one major drawback: it doesn’t come with a safety lock. This makes it more dangerous than the average slicer, because it doesn’t prevent someone from accidentally starting the slicer while it’s plugged in.
So if you have children in the house, take extra care when using this slicer, and store it away safely when not in use. Taking these precautions should compensate a little for the lack of the safety lock on this bread slicer, if only a little.
- Easy to store thanks to its handy storage case
- Comfortable to use thanks to its ergonomic handle
- Stainless steel blades don’t need sharpening
- Carving fork included for cutting meat
- Doesn’t come with a safety lock button
The Hamilton Beach 74250R is perfect for anyone who wants an electric bread slicer that can be stored away neatly when not in use. Its handy storage case keeps the blades and handle in one place, so you don’t have to deal with clutter or missing parts.
3. Nutrichef PKELKN16 – Best Value
- SAFETY LOCK: This electric kitchen knife by NutriChef has a safety lock feature that keeps the blade in place to ensure your safety and to avoid injury
- CONSISTENT SLICES: The product makes consistent slice without the use of sawing motion or excessive pressure. Comes with a bread blade for bread, cheese, meatloaf, and cake loaves and a carving blade for carving a turkey, chicken, ham, roast
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADES: The two included heavy duty blades of this powerful motorized slicer knife are made with stainless steel construction that is made to last
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The portable electrical food knife also features an Ergonomically Designed Handle for Comfortable Handling and carving with ease. Can also be used in some vegetable like eggplants or squash, and for fruit like pineapple or melon
- WOODEN BLOCK: The set includes a Hand Crafted Premium Hardwood Butcher Block that can be stored flat inside a drawer or assembled for countertop storage. Just slide the black tab inside the slot found under the stand and place onto a flat surface
The Nutrichef PKELKN16 is a great alternative to Black+Decker’s ComfortGrip. It provides the same efficiency of slicing loaves of bread while also being equally as safe to use.
Its stainless steel blades are great for slicing through bread, meatloaf, cake loaves, cheese, and many other meats such as chicken, ham, turkey, and so on.
In addition, Nutrichef touts this electric kitchen knife’s ergonomically designed handle as being suitable for slicing through vegetables and fruit such as squash, melons, pineapples, and eggplants, among others. After using this slicer, it’s hard not to agree with them.
To protect the user from injury or accidents, Nutrichef’s slicer comes with a safety lock, which secures the blade in place.
Moreover, the Nutrichef PKELKN16 comes with a wooden block, which can be used to store the slicer and blades on a kitchen countertop. If you receive guests in a kitchen area, it would make a great decorative display and good conversation starter.
The one major drawback of this electric bread slicer is that it can be difficult to insert the blades. We found that inserting the blades has to be done with care as they are extremely sharp. This is something to keep in mind when preparing to slice bread.
- Decorative countertop wooden block storage
- Stainless steel blades are built to last
- Safety lock feature secures blade for user’s safety
- Can be difficult to insert the blades
You’ll love the Nutrichef PKELKN16 if you let your kitchen utensils adorn your kitchen because its wooden block makes this electric slicer a decorative countertop utensil. It’s also safe to use thanks to its safety lock feature, and slices through bread like the best of them.
4.Cuisinart Kitchen Pro Food Slicer – Best Slice Control
- Removable 7.5-inch undulated stainless steel cutting blade. Cord length : 38 Inches
- Stainless steel removable carriage
- Slice control knob adjusts from a paper-thin 1/32 inch to a thick 1/2 inch
- Premium-coated steel and die-cast aluminum housing.UC Cubic Feet: 1.29
- Blade, food guide and stainless steel carriage are all removable for easy cleanup
The Cuisinart Kitchen Pro Food Slicer is perfect for anyone who wants to control how thick or thin their slices come out. It’s capable of cutting paper-thin slices (1/32 inch) and thick slices (½ inch) thanks to a handy slice control knob.
This slicer is powered by a 130-watt motor, and can cut through everything from meats, to vegetables and, of course bread. Cuisinart offers a generous 5-year warranty for the motor, making it easier to get a replacement if you run into any issues within the specified period.
In terms of how it operates, the Kitchen Pro Food Slicer comes with non-slip feet, providing it with much-needed stability on a kitchen counter while in operation. It’s also extremely durable thanks to the materials used to build it -die-cast aluminium with a premium coating for the finish.
It’s also quite easy to clean, as its 7.5-inch undulating stainless steel cutting blade can be removed easily when the need arises.
If there’s a drawback to this slicer, it’s that it’s a little bulky when compared to the others on this list. This may be a deal-breaker for you if you’re looking for something that won’t take up too much space.
- Customizable slices with slice control knob
- 5 year warranty for motor
- Very stable thanks to non-slip feet
- Bulkier than competitor slicers
If you want absolute control over how thick or thin your slices come out, the Cuisinart Kitchen Pro Food Slicer is exactly what you’re looking for. You’ll probably also appreciate Cuisinart’s generous 5-year warranty for the motor on this machine.
Things to Consider When Buying an Electric Bread Slicer
Enough has been said about how electric bread slicers cut through unsliced bread like butter. However, before you rush out to buy one, there are a lot of things you must consider. We go over these considerations in more detail below.
Any electric bread slicer worth buying should be able to cut not just bread, but other foodstuffs such as meat, vegetables and even fruit. In fact, some electric bread sixers on our list are even capable of slicing through non-edible materials, which makes them useful for craft projects.
You can peg a slicer’s versatility down to its blades, which are almost always serrated. This quality makes it easy for them to slice through soft freshly-baked bread while making the slices even.
The serrated blades that come with an electric bread slicer are extremely sharp, so it goes without saying that you should handle this tool with care, especially if you have children in the house.
However, even when adequate precautions have been taken it may still be possible for accidents to happen. Therefore, choose an electric bread slicer that has a safety lock on it, which will prevent it from being turned on while it’s plugged in until you’re ready to use it.
Space and Storage
Storage is very important because your bread slicer will be sharing kitchen space with other utensils. As such, you probably wouldn’t want something bulky that clutters up the place.
Furthermore, the electric bread slicer that’s right for you will depend on how much space you’re willing to give up in the kitchen. Therefore, consider choosing an electric bread slicer that comes with a storage case or other component.
Slicing bread takes time, especially since you have to be extremely delicate while repeating the same motion over and over again. So while you’re working you’ll want the tool you’re using to feel as comfortable in your hand as possible so that you don’t tire out easily.
Therefore, when choosing an electric bread slicer make sure it has a comfortable grip that makes working for extended periods of time easy to do.
A good electric bread slicer will come with serrated blades that don’t need to be sharpened, meaning that they can last for long. This longevity is something you should aim for when picking a bread slicer.
Additionally, when you’re done using the blades they’ll have to be cleaned. For this reason, we suggest you choose a slicer whose blades are dishwasher-safe, so that they can be easily washed without too much effort on your end.
Bearing in mind that the blades on a typical electric bread slicer are sharp, dishwasher-safe blades make these slicers safe in addition to being low-maintenance.
The materials used to construct the electric bread slicer determines how durable it will be, which in turn will determine how much use you’ll get out of it before you need to get a replacement.
Materials you should look out for in your electric bread slicer include stainless steel, hard wood, and plastic, among others. When used in combination these materials make up an electric bread slicer that’s durable and high quality.
Building on the previous consideration, it’s also important that the manufacturer of whatever brand of electric bread slicer you choose provides a generous warranty for faulty or defective products.
In certain instances, a product may stop working due to no fault of your own, so it’s important that you have the option of getting a replacement without having to pay for it out of pocket.
Finally, you’ll want to choose an electric bread slicer that’s well-priced and won’t bankrupt you. All of the electric bread slicers on this list are affordably-priced, which doesn’t necessarily bode an inferior product. Therefore, the best electric bread slicers are high quality and value for money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Is Better? An Electric Bread Slicer or an Electric Knife?
An electric knife is great at cutting bread and will slice through a loaf of bread without any problem. This is especially true if its blade is serrated and reciprocating (think of a sawing motion).
On the other hand, an electric bread slicer is much safer to use and is even more efficient at cutting bread.
Can an Electric Bread Slicer Cut Any Kind of Bread?
Electric bread slicers are very versatile. Every one of the brands listed in this article is capable of slicing not just bread, but meat, vegetables, and even non-edible substances like foam used for craft projects.
With that said, you should probably check with the manufacturer to find out what the electric bread slicer you want can and can’t cut. For example, some buyers have reported finding it difficult to cut artisan and Sourdough Bread
Are Electric Bread Slicers Easy to Clean?
Yes, electric bread slicers are incredibly easy to clean. A lot of them have blades that can be detached at the press of a button. Additionally, the blades are dishwasher-safe, which means you can pop them in your dishwasher and let it do the cleaning for you.
Are Electric Bread Slicers Safe to Use?
Yes, they are safe to use. In addition to having a safety lock feature that prevents them from turning on when not in use, the blade is fixed securely in place when the machine is in use. This prevents any mishaps from occurring in the kitchen, as well as makes households with children safer.
With an electric bread slicer, serving homemade bread doesn’t have to be a chore any longer. The reciprocating motion of the tool’s stainless steel serrated blade makes it extremely easy to slice bread.
If we were to pick one electric bread slicer out of the three brands listed above, it’d be the Black+Decker ComfortGrip 9 Inch Electric Knife. Black+Decker’s emphasis on safety, and ergonomic design make it perfect for households with children.
With that said, if you want to proudly show off your equipment in the kitchen, the Nutrichef Electric Kitchen Knife PKELKN16 is equally worth your money. Like Black+Decker’s slicer, it also has a safety button to prevent avoidable accidents. However, its wooden block storage means you get to display the blades and handle on your countertop.
We hope this article has helped you choose the best electric bread slicer for your kitchen. Happy bread baking!