This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on September 3, 2023
If you’re looking for the perfect lemon drop shot recipe, you’re in for a treat. This easy and delicious cocktail takes just four simple ingredients to make! The next time you’re craving a lemon drop, this is the recipe for you! Just gather up the shot glasses and get ready. It’s about to be one of your favorite recipes.
The first time I tried a lemon drop, I’ll be honest. I was shocked by how flavorful and delicious it was. I’d never had a shot that was sweet on the rim, followed by a powerful lemon taste. (and let’s be honest – having the lemon wedge to pop in your mouth is a fun feature, too!)
Grab your favorite shot glass and get ready to love making these lemon drop shots. They’re one easy recipe and drink that everyone will love.
What is a lemon drop shot?
This sweet shot is made using vodka, sugar, and lemons. It’s one of those drinks that packs a punch and will have everyone loving the flavor.
This can be made as cocktails or shots, depending on how you want to enjoy it. Just know that it’s really popular – for a good reason!
Is a Lemon Drop strong?
A lemon drop can totally be a strong drink! It just depends on the ratio of vodka and lemon juice that you add together, honestly.
Why do bartenders hate lemon drops?
Ready for a fun fact? Lemon drop shots are popular to order at the bar, but that doesn’t mean that the bartenders necessarily like making them! While they get to use a cocktail shaker filled with ice to help build the lemon drop drink, the lemon juice mixed with the sugar creates quite a sticky mess.
Every time they shake and pour, they’re getting coated in lemon juice and sugar. When you’re working in a fast-paced environment, it’s not fun to get slowed down all the time.
What do Lemon Drops taste like?
This will vary depending on who you ask. Some people will say that it’s tart because they don’t use as much sugar in the cocktail recipe, while others will say that it’s sweet (check out my lemon poppy seed muffin recipe ) and delicious. It all depends on the balance of ingredients and the instructions on how to make it.
Ingredients needed to make Lemon Drop Shots
All you need to make this lemon drop shot recipe is a handful of easy ingredients. You’ll be sipping this shot in no time at all.
How to Make Lemon Drop Shots
Get ready to play bartender at home! The directions to make this lemon drop shot is easy.
Start by filling the cocktail shaker with ice. (You want the shot to be chilled when drinking it)
Add in the vodka and the lemon juice and shake well.
Line the cocktail glass or shot glass with sugar.
Pour the vodka and lemon juice into the glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Do you have to use fresh lemon juice?
You don’t have to – but I promise that it adds great flavor to this lemon drop shot. Make sure that you strain it if you’re worried about any seeds getting in it when you’re squeezing out the lemon juice.
Can you make lemon drop shots alcohol free?
You can. If you want this drink to be family-friendly, just omit the added alcohol. That simple change turns cocktails into mocktails, making it a party drink that everyone can enjoy.
You can still garnish with lemon wedges and even serve on ice to keep cool. Use cool glasses and a cocktail shaker to make the ambiance super fun!
Tips For Making A Lemon Drop Shot
Even though these lemon drop shots aren’t hard to make, there are some tips for making drink recipes easier.
- Don’t buy cheap vodka. Seriously, you may only be adding an ounce or less, but cheap vodka is never a good idea.
- You can add sugar to the rim OR to the lemon wedges. Your choice. Some people like the sugar on the rim so that they get the sugar instantly in their mouth as they’re taking the lemon drop shot. Others like to sprinkle the sugar on the lemon wedges so that they’ll take the shot, then bite into the lemon wedge that is coated with sugar.
- You don’t need a ton of prep time. Since this cocktail is fast, you can make this lemon drop shot in minutes. This means that the only prep you really need for this lemon drop shot is to keep the ingredients on hand.
- Use shot glasses or fun glasses. Some people like to drink out of a shot glass, while others want to use a glass. Just pick one and roll with it.
- You can add in simple syrup if you want. The lemon drop shot recipe doesn’t need it, but if you want to add some extra flavor, just add, shake, and sip.
- Don’t store this recipe in the fridge. Once it’s added to your glasses or shot glass, you need to drink it right away. Drinks like this shouldn’t be kept for later. They’re meant to be enjoyed asap.
What other ingredients can you add to this lemon drop shot?
That’s the thing about making a lemon drop shot. It’s one of those drink recipes that don’t really give a lot of variety. If you want to change up a few things, you can add simple syrup for a fun flavor or add lime wedges to the rim of your lemon drop shot instead of lemons.
You can also add a little bit of salt to your lemon drop shot to give a sweet and sour type of flavor. The main thing to remember about this recipe is that there aren’t many ingredients, so there isn’t a lot to change.
Now that you know how simple and easy it is to create your own lemon drop shot right at home, grab your shot glasses and get ready to share with family and friends! Garnish with a lemon wedge and show everyone that you know how to make some really great drinks!
You can even throw a party and have everyone bring their own shot glasses that you can fill up with this simple lemon cocktail recipe! Just be sure that it’s chilled and fresh. Put out some bar food and enjoy hanging out with friends!
A refreshing take on the classic lemon drop shop cocktail.
- Add vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and ice cubes to a shaker.
- Shake until the sugar and all the liquid are well mixed
- Cut the lemon into 8 wedges
- Place 4 teaspoons of sugar on a small plate; dip lemon wedges in sugar.
- Served the lemon drop shot with sugared lemon and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 1g