Updated on

byKelly Bejelly

I wanted to share another family dish this week, Paleo Chicken Adobo,  that wonderfully is enough is a Paleo chicken recipe.

One of my favorite memories is sitting in the kitchen with my ma while she braided my ridiculously long hair and breathing in the tangy scent of vinegar and soy.

While I do try to avoid soy as much as possible, I have a small bottle of wheat-free Tamari that  I pull out every couple of months to make my ma’s chicken adobo.

Not only does it taste amazing but  I get that nice warm homey feeling that I hope someday the Little experiences when he cooks up this recipe.

If you want to make this but have to avoid soy you can try Coconut aminos but I can’t guarantee the flavor will be the same.

This chicken adobo recipe is straight up simple.

Basically you throw everything in a pot and come back in an hour and it’s done and ready to eat.

I don’t add include any additional salt as the Coconut aminos provides enough.

You can increase the amount if you like and the chicken will be a darker color than what you see in the photo.

We love this paleo chicken recipe with cauliflower rice.

Chicken Adobo

Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Calories: 341 kcal

1. Put the chicken pieces, garlic, water, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, peppercorn and black pepper in medium pan over medium heat.
  2. When the water comes to a boil lower the heat and simmer for one hour.
  3. Enjoy!
Carbohydrates 5g2%
Protein 23g46%
Vitamin A 115IU2%
Vitamin C 1.4mg2%
Calcium 20mg2%
Iron 1mg6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• May 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

This recipe sounds delish! My mom used to make a chicken adobo, but I never got the recipe before she passed away. I had a recipe book that was from her grandmother, all handwritten in Spanish and when my mom passed away, her sister stole the book from my mom’s closet. I lost all of my moms family recipes in that book. I’m trying to cook traditional Mexican food for my family once in awhile, but my boys don’t like the spice aspect.
    ~Mimi

• May 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

This sounds REALLY good, but what on earth is Tamari and where would I find it?4 stars

• Author
      May 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hi Kathleen, Tamari is a type of soy sauce. You can use regular soy sauce in this recipe.

• May 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Wow – I’d never think to cook with vinegar but apple cider vinegar shouldn’t be too harsh, right? Will have to try this – I love cooking with chicken thighs & legs.5 stars

• May 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Can’t believe it only takes an hour!! It sounds so good my stomach just growled. Wish my screen had smell-o-vision!!5 stars

• Author
      June 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

It’s really easy and tasty 🙂

• Tianna
    June 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

If you eat soy, what is your interpretation of a paleo diet? A gluten free diet? I’m just browsing through chowstalker and I’m finding a lot of recipes under the whole30 category with surprising ingredients.

• Author
      June 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

I think at the core, the Paleo diet is a no grain diet that emphasizes meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits and nuts/seed. I think that most people who are paleo aim for this as a goal but find that, like with most diets, you have to find a balance that works for you. I admittedly am more Primal than Paleo. I can live without sugar, grains and legumes but I have a crutch for heavy whipping cream and raw dairy. It’s a fat bomb of happiness for my brain that I’m not going to give up. Most people who follow the lifestyle are going to much healthier and happier than they were in their SAD days and are content with that.

I really try to avoid soy as much as possible but, hey, sometimes I want this dish so I eat it 🙂 Also, my recipes are safe for people who are gluten-free. I don’t follow a gluten-free diet which allows for low gluten grains so I can’t comment on it.

You can make this recipe with coconut aminos and avoid the soy if you like.

• June 25, 2012 at 7:26 am

I fell in love with Adobo when we lived on the West coast – thank you for sharing this! I’m always looking for new ways to use it!5 stars

• Laurel
    July 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Do you have a recipe for tocino and garlic rice? LOVE Filipino food!

• Author
      July 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I can get it from my Ma and recreate it 🙂 I’ll put it on my recipe to-do list and email when it posts.

• July 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

This sounds like the one I grew up with. Are you Filipino? I make this too, I use coconut aminos to replace the soy. I’m paleo as well. I’m looking into making soy sauce substitutes because the coconut aminos are so expensive.

• Author
      July 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yep! My Mother is Filipino 🙂 I haven’t tried coconut aminos yet. Is the taste similar to soy? Please share when you come up with a substitute!

• July 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh that’s great! Yeah adobo, well now that I saw your post now I want some. I grew up eating that with white rice. The coconut aminos taste very similar to soy but it’s like 7.99 for a small bottle! I’m going to experiment with using molasses(not really paleo isn’t it) and some apple cider vinegar as a soy sauce substitute. Maybe I should post all our Filipino recipes that can be turned into a paleo recipe :).

• Author
          July 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hrmm. .. please let me know if the taste is similar. I’ve made three filipino recipes that I grew up eating and shared them on my site. It’s crazy how many are Paleo. I can’t wait to see what you share!

• Kathrina Cosmiano
            September 20, 2016 at 10:00 am

I just got a bottle of coconut aminos. It’s like lite soy sauce but sweet. I’ll be making adobo tonight with it. My family and I are trying to go on a low fat, low sodium and low sugar diet so I’m cureentry experimenting on low sodium substitute for soy sauce.

• November 13, 2016 at 4:52 pm

I hope you enjoy it Kathrina!

• July 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm

That looks SO good- and it’s crazy simple! Definitely adding to my must-try list!

• Nichole Contente
    August 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Sounds amazing! We love filipino food. What do you make as a side for this, and your ginger chicken? We are new to paleo, but have no choice but to stick to it as my husband and youngest daughter have celiac and she has a major dairy allergy. I am so new to this, sides dishes are what I am struggling with as we obviously can’t get pansit with this, or my traditional pasta with anything.

• Author
      Kelly Bejelly
      August 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

You could do fried rice using cauliflower, that’s pretty yum. We do pretty basic side dishes most of the time. Veggies lightly sauteed in coconut oil with garlic and salt are always a hit in our house. I hope that you like it 🙂

• Sherry
        October 27, 2014 at 5:33 pm

How do u make cauliflower rice

• October 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm

You basically chop up cauliflower and then shred it in your food processor until you get “rice” sized pieces.

• joanna
    September 21, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Just made this tonight because I needed something really easy after a long day. The chicken was falling off the bone and super tender. I love all the flavorful juice and the vinegar wasn’t overpowering at all. Definitely a keeper!5 stars